Donated Blood - how bad is lifting tomorrow?

Options
I need to come up with a plan for tomorrow. I was going to do a Strength and Endurance class in the morning, but I just donated blood and they said no lifting for 12 hours. I am feeling like I really need a class this week. (Some weeks I am super-motivated to workout solo. This is not one of them.) So, I am wondering if anyone else has done this and had any problems? I have never gotten light-headed after donating and technically it will be like, 12 and a half hours from donating so I *think* it will be ok. Just wondering if anyone has had a bad experience or has any feedback on this. Thanks!

Replies

• SHORTandPHAT1
    SHORTandPHAT1 Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've always been told not to work out at all for 24 hours after donating blood. I donate every 8 weeks and they say it every time. Also, I do not get light-headed either and don't feel sick afterward so I don't think they say that to me specifically.

Though, redcrossblood.org says "Do not do any heavy lifting or vigorous exercise for the rest of the day." and "If you experience dizziness or lightheadedness after donation, stop what you are doing and sit down or lie down until you feel better. Avoid performing any activity where fainting may lead to injury for at least 24 hours." So it sounds like you might be ok if you are with other people in case you faint.
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is usually a class full of people. I was thinking I will keep the weights light. I just am on a really good roll and I don't want to take a break tomorrow.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of no lifting for 24 hours after donating blood. I've been told to not exercise afterwards but I've never been told I couldn't exercise the next day.
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't lift the same day after a donation. Next day would be fine. But listen to your body - if you feel weak / dizzy etc give yourself more time.
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Made it through, went really light today. :)
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    wait atleast 24 hours I went jogging 18 hours after donating and got home and ended up on my kitchen floor
  • Eire228
    Eire228 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    The last time I donated blood, I tried running the next day. It was more than 12 hours later, and it was a terrible mistake!! I was so out of breath and light headed after about a quarter of a mile. I've never fainted, I don't get light headed in the least when I donate, nothing like that. But there is a reason they tell you to wait to exercise! If you do really want to life, I'd say make it lighter than normal. And definitely nothing vigorous.
  • Eire228
    Eire228 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Aaand just read the replies. Looks like you kept it nice and easy. Well done! :)
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    My best friend and I donated once at uni and the following day he was rigging lights (he worked at the union), went really faint and fell from the lighting rig! Fortunately he was harnessed so only suffered bruises and stuff from the ropes suddenly going tight. It was a two storey high hall though so it could have been pretty nasty.
    Word of warning there.
  • fallingtrees
    fallingtrees Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I think the restriction is meant to be no lifting with the donating arm, so as not to rupture the site and restart bleeding. Otherwise, make sure you are well-hydrated and pace yourself.
  • fallingtrees
    fallingtrees Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    (I tell myself I just donated about 400 calories, which justifies the cookie and the break.)
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Good thinking on taking it easy... The lightheadedness is one thing... My brother is a bodybuilder and always lifts heavy. He experienced a 'deflation' of his bicep on the arm from which he donated blood--it took quite a while to go back to normal.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Me personally I have gave blood and went to weight training in the same day. I have actually went to the gym right after giving blood. I saw no drop in strength or any disadvantage of doing this. I am a gym freak though.