Vegetarian (Pescatarian) and Protein

Options
Good morning! I'm having trouble meeting my protein goals, and would love some ideas please. Legumes, seitan, veggies, occasional fish, quinoa, etc... are staples right now for getting my protein. I don't eat soy, so that limits me. I'm eating approx 85/130g of protein daily, but would like to bump that up without trashing my deficit. Ideas??

Replies

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    pea protien shakes? Tofu? almonds?
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    That's basically what I eat with the addition of whey protein shakes and yogurt. With food and whey shakes I consume from 200 - 320 grams of protein a day, but I'm bulking. I do mix my protein shakes with soy because cow's milk makes me fart something fierce.
  • MomiTia
    MomiTia Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Whey? If ur into milk...
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I am also pescetarian/vegetarian. I eat lots of egg whites, protein shakes from AdvantEdge, Boca and Morning Star burgers (careful, watch out for the sodium!), cheese, lots of Greek yogurt and/or cottage cheese, and of course, fish! There are some really delicious options in the freezer aisle - Sea Cuisine (LOVE the potato-crusted cod!), Morey's Creations, and the bake-in-the-bag tilapia (can't remember the name!). Salmon burgers are also really good. Whenever making other shopping choices, I always compare the protein contents - bread, pasta, yogurt, etc.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I love the Dannon Light n Fit Greek yogurt blends....they're only 80 calories, but have 10+ grams of protein.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Tofu is soy so presumably that would be out for OP.

More fish, if you eat that. Can of tuna on your lunchtime salad, grilled fish for dinner 3-4 nights per week, etc.

Dairy -- milk, cheese, Greek yogurt, etc.

Eggs are a good protein source. One egg white has 11g of protein.

Also, if you're eating 130g of protein per day already, that's probably more than enough. Even 85g is twice the recommended daily minimum for healthy adults. Plant sources of protein tend to absorb a bit less effectively than animal sources, so it's good to give yourself a bit of a buffer. But it sounds like you're getting more than enough already, so probably no need to stress.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I don't do soy either. Greek yogurt is a powerhouse of protein. Protein powder and bars, eggs, spinach (has a surprising amount of protein for a veggie and it's easy to eat lots if you cook it).
  • techie30
    techie30 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! Not sure why I haven't even thought of protein shakes-Duh!!!! Lol
  • el718
    el718 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hemp protein is great, at some health food stores you can find it as powder, butter, or whole seeds.