mfp weight loss estimates

Options
How accurate is the 5 week weight loss estimates.

Replies

• SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    its not, one day it will say I'll weigh 10kg less next day I'll gain 3kg
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    probably as accurate as they can be considering that it's based on the assumption that you will be eating and exercising the same as today everyday.
  • yourpalsoap
    Options
    it's only based on what you ate that day. so if you ate nothing it'd say you'd lose ~20lbs in 5 weeks. chances are you're not going to eat the exact same amount every day, and even then their estimates are only that ... estimates.

I think mfp expects people to be more active in general than they are. if I eat the amount they say I should to lose 1lb a week, I'll lose roughly 0.75lbs
  • Ethereal_Whisper
    Ethereal_Whisper Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    it's mathematically correct, hypothetically. humans aren't mathematical.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    lol its not. by now I should weigh 10lbs less than I do according to the estimates. Im not even losing every week either,and I exercise an hr a day. so much for that lol
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I've never had it be right.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It is correct, but it is highly unlikely that any of us are going to have a day like today for the rest of five weeks. Some will be higher, some will be lower. Not to mention, we probably eat more than what we log and we probably burn fewer calories than what we log.
  • sladywar99
    Options
    OK thanks for all of your responses.
  • Randy589
    Randy589 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I find no value in that prediction. If it took my last 7 days' calories into account each day I would believe it more. Honestly I would be fine if MFP just removed that "feature" altogether.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Oh, good lord! Learn how to read! PAY ATTENTION TO THE WORDING! Those estimates are based off "if every day was like today." That means every day you would have to have the exact same net calorie intake. And that's also assuming your logging is 100% accurate both in terms of intake and exercise. And that means every day you would have to weigh the exact same (meaning you wouldn't lose any weight at all in the 5 week interim!). It's mathematically based. If those factors were always the exact same… then it'd probably be fairly accurate (give or take a few pounds to account for normal fluctuations). But those factors are NEVER going to be the exact same. And you can never guarantee that your logging is 100% accurate in terms of intake and exercise.

Don't get me wrong… I totally love that feature. I get excited to see how close I'm getting to my goal. I love to see those prediction numbers go down. The first time it told me my 5 week goal would put me below 300 lbs, I took a screen shot of it! And you better believe I'll be doing it again when it finally tells me I'll be in ONEderland. And again when it shows me at my goal weight. So, I get why it's so fascinating and why you wonder how accurate it is… but simply reading the message will tell you that! While I love it… I certainly don't set store by it. And honestly… I don't know how accurate it is. Because I don't mark my calendar with the weight and go back and evaluate it in 5 weeks.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    They're like the Magic 8 Ball of MFP.