Hiding from people.

Options
DanniB423
DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
edited January 2015 in Motivation and Support
I have always been a very happy and social person. I can really talk to anyone and enjoy all kinds of people. I'm the heaviest I have ever been this year and have found a big change in how I feel about being around people. I am more insecure than ever. Saturday night my husband was invited out by co workers I have yet to meet to a bar and I faked a migraine. I wondered if they would be shocked his wife was so big. And didn't feel comfortable. This is so unlike me and I am not sure if I am just fed up or a bit depressed? I have lost ten lbs since
January 1. That has me feeling hopeful and I am using my recent feelings as validation for the positive changes I am making. I do not want my weight effecting my relationships this way. Anyone ever feel this way?

Replies

• LookAWalrus
    LookAWalrus Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have. I gained a lot during pregnancy and my body was a sloppy mess postpartum. Going out and being social was hard. Pretty much for two years I've felt like a walrus. Every time I go down a pants size I get a little bit of that ease and happiness back.
  • ash272107
    Options
    I feel that way all the time! I don't like doing anything fun because I feel like people are judging the way that I look. I have never been skinny and have always been overweight. I gained even more weight after having my son. It is horrible...I feel so gross and unhappy because of it.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have kind of the opposite experience. I was ALWAYS big and even when I put on a lot more weight and got to my biggest size, I never felt uncomfortable going out and around people.

But now. After losing 138 lb, I have issues with this. I feel embarrassed going in to certain stores where the clerks have made repeated comments about my weight loss or size. I feel a little bit sheepish and weird going to dinner w/ certain friends who struggle to lose weight, and cringe at their comments. I guess for me it's like at a much larger size people politely avoided the topic and now they want to draw attention to my body...I am not used to it. I'm used to comments on other things like clothing, hair, car, purse, shoes, glasses...not my weight or specific body parts!!!!

I've even avoided people or gone out of my way to escape them in a store (Target, supermarket, etc) for this reason. Some days I am just not in the mood for "OMG you have lost a LOT...how did you do it???!" from some person I once worked with or attended school with...

I know that sounds so dumb and like humble bragging but I swear it is NOT. I'm still slightly overweight (very top of the healthy range for my height) and I feel stupid and ashamed of this. But just wanted to share a different POV. It's never fun feeling limited by our appearance and/or body. Ugh.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't quite the same thing, but you saying this reminded me of this blog post: http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/2014/09/28/taking-up-space-and-acting-small/ I guess the message is that you have no reason to feel inferior because of your size, and when it comes to people who make you feel inferior, you're often your own worst enemy. Recognize what you did this time, learn from it, and get back out there and enjoy life.
  • kristyhartley
    kristyhartley Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues Danni however my husband declines going out w friends bc I think he is embarrassed to be seen w me. He won't even introduce me to people when we do happen to "bump" into people he knows. It's a horrible feeling having gone from feeling his pride to now feeling he's ashamed.
  • DanniB423
    Options
    I have the same issues Danni however my husband declines going out w friends bc I think he is embarrassed to be seen w me. He won't even introduce me to people when we do happen to "bump" into people he knows. It's a horrible feeling having gone from feeling his pride to now feeling he's ashamed. [/quote.

@kristyhartley‌ that can not be possible! You are beautiful! I'm so sorry you feel that way!
  • DanniB423
    Options
    I know this isn't quite the same thing, but you saying this reminded me of this blog post: http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/2014/09/28/taking-up-space-and-acting-small/ I guess the message is that you have no reason to feel inferior because of your size, and when it comes to people who make you feel inferior, you're often your own worst enemy. Recognize what you did this time, learn from it, and get back out there and enjoy life.

Thank you for that!
  • DanniB423
    Options
    I have kind of the opposite experience. I was ALWAYS big and even when I put on a lot more weight and got to my biggest size, I never felt uncomfortable going out and around people.

But now. After losing 138 lb, I have issues with this. I feel embarrassed going in to certain stores where the clerks have made repeated comments about my weight loss or size. I feel a little bit sheepish and weird going to dinner w/ certain friends who struggle to lose weight, and cringe at their comments. I guess for me it's like at a much larger size people politely avoided the topic and now they want to draw attention to my body...I am not used to it. I'm used to comments on other things like clothing, hair, car, purse, shoes, glasses...not my weight or specific body parts!!!!

I've even avoided people or gone out of my way to escape them in a store (Target, supermarket, etc) for this reason. Some days I am just not in the mood for "OMG you have lost a LOT...how did you do it???!" from some person I once worked with or attended school with...

I know that sounds so dumb and like humble bragging but I swear it is NOT. I'm still slightly overweight (very top of the healthy range for my height) and I feel stupid and ashamed of this. But just wanted to share a different POV. It's never fun feeling limited by our appearance and/or body. Ugh.

It really stinks feeling so uncomfortable. I always see you post and I pray to be where you are some day! A real inspiration! Thank you!
  • DanniB423
    Options
    Yes, I have. I gained a lot during pregnancy and my body was a sloppy mess postpartum. Going out and being social was hard. Pretty much for two years I've felt like a walrus. Every time I go down a pants size I get a little bit of that ease and happiness back.
    Well I don't think you look like a walrus. And I hope I'll feel better the more I lose! Good luck to you!
  • DanniB423
    Options
    ash272107 wrote: »
    I feel that way all the time! I don't like doing anything fun because I feel like people are judging the way that I look. I have never been skinny and have always been overweight. I gained even more weight after having my son. It is horrible...I feel so gross and unhappy because of it.

I'm with you. It is so tough. I am glad I am not the only one though. Being so unhappy with the way I look is lonely sometimes.
  • HaideeJo13
    HaideeJo13 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have done this same exact thing the last few months. I do not want to go anywhere, I don't want to see anyone that knows me because I too am the heaviest I have ever been. Its depressing. I don't even want my husband to see me naked because I am so uncomfortable. I have always been a pretty fit person, I have had my moments where I gained weight but never this much. It totally controls my life. Its all I think about. I am finally saying enough is enough, I can not keep living like this. I make my husband go shopping and go pick up my kids form school because I don't want anyone to see me ;( I HAVE to get back into shape and get happy about myself again.
  • kristyhartley
    Options
    I have the same issues Danni however my husband declines going out w friends bc I think he is embarrassed to be seen w me. He won't even introduce me to people when we do happen to "bump" into people he knows. It's a horrible feeling having gone from feeling his pride to now feeling he's ashamed. [/quote.

@kristyhartley‌ that can not be possible! You are beautiful! I'm so sorry you feel that way!

@DanniBuchanan1‌ funny I thought the same about your post!
  • kristyhartley
    Options
    HaideeJo13 wrote: »
    I have done this same exact thing the last few months. I do not want to go anywhere, I don't want to see anyone that knows me because I too am the heaviest I have ever been. Its depressing. I don't even want my husband to see me naked because I am so uncomfortable. I have always been a pretty fit person, I have had my moments where I gained weight but never this much. It totally controls my life. Its all I think about. I am finally saying enough is enough, I can not keep living like this. I make my husband go shopping and go pick up my kids form school because I don't want anyone to see me ;( I HAVE to get back into shape and get happy about myself again.

@HaideeJo13‌ you are too beautiful to think that!

• workout4150
    Options
    Okay lets start a challenge for the week. Lets see if we all can lose 1 pound by Sunday
  • HaideeJo13
    Options
    Thank you, very sweet!! This is a picture of me before I gained the recent weight :( I refuse to take pictures of me right now. This is my goal though, to get back to where I am happy and healthy. I am slowly on my way, I am kicking my butt until i get there.
  • atiral
    atiral Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have a problem with this as well. When I was 90 lbs more than I am now, I was very embarrassed of how I looked, plus I just have social anxiety in general. I especially try to hide from people I haven't seen in a while. Now, at my goal weight, I am still just as embarrassed. I feel fine around people I don't know, but am afraid that people I do know will think I am too thin ( because there are people who have asked if I feel ok or said I don't need to lose more). No one should have to feel like that at any weight, but it is something I need to work on.
  • missy2492
    missy2492 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I get embarrassed too. I went shopping yesterday and went up a size again. How depressing. I don't undress infront of anyone, especially my husband. Your welcome to add as a friend. I do understand.
  • Teener37
    Teener37 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    @ Danni, I can relate! I don't like how my clothes fit and feel and HATE to be uncomfortable (especially in public). I have "faked" headaches too many times to count!
    @ HaideeJo13 - I met my BF 3 yrs ago at a great weight and feel the same way you do. Keep the lights off! LOL
    - Seriously, though... I do feel a drive to get out and about. This motivates me to do better.
  • HaideeJo13
    Options
    LOL @ Teener!! I am feeling a little better since I have been kicking my butt the last couple weeks. I have a long ways to go but everyday makes a huge difference!
  • alysefindingbalance
    Options
    I totally understand where you're coming from. My husband friend from college (who I haven't met) invited us over for the Superbowl (we live in Seattle) and said there would be around 20 people he hasn't seen in years from college there. I really, really don't want to go, because I have the same fear you do -- that they'll be in disbelief that his wife is overweight. I am normally a social person, and feel completely comfortable around my friends, but it's different going into a new group of people for the first time.

We just need to stick to our goals so that we can live and enjoy every moment of life to the fullest!