Options

Replies

• JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    BrendaS03 wrote: »
    Hey all!
    I am in my first week of training for a half marathon on April 26! I know there must be others out there with similar goals. I have done one half marathon before but still have lots to learn about how to train, how to fuel and how to prepare.

Anyone else in the same boat looking for a training buddy? When is your race? Feel free to add me

I'm from Ottawa, and also running a half on April 26. I'm curious, which one are you doing?
  • GreatCthulhu
    GreatCthulhu Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    you should start a group so we all can share there :-)

I think a group sounds like a great idea! We can share our successes and training and give each other support.
  • jklei169
    jklei169 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Ceci_O_K wrote: »
    I'm registered for my first half on April 11. I just started week 9 of a 20 week plan that I found online. So far, so good!

Which site side you get your plan from. I am basically upping my distance every week from now until the half to get up to running 12 miles at a time. I'm not really sure how to train but I figure I finish eventually.
  • RunsForFood
    RunsForFood Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    you should start a group so we all can share there :-)

I think a group sounds like a great idea! We can share our successes and training and give each other support.

^^Agreed!!
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I'm sort of training for a half marathon. Got one in 2 weeks time and then on 8th march but they are more a case of something to run in while marathon training for Paris in April.

What do all your plans you are following have you doing for an average week? Never really followed a half marathon specific plan so i;m interested in how it differs from what i'm doing
  • leighdiane91
    leighdiane91 Posts: 225 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I am training for my first half! It's May 23rd, my 24th B-Day!

I found a 20 week marathon training program online and really loved it, so I took the long runs and cut them in half and the plan seems to still work (I am on week 3). I am definitely slow, and it is hard, but I want to complete one!
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,210 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm training for my first half as well - 29March. I'm on week 5 of training using Hal Higdon's Novice 2 program. It's neat to see so many folks training for a half. You guys rock!

( @chunkytfg - the plan has 4 runs each week, Tues/Wed/Thurs - 3miles/4 or 5miles/3, then rest day, then long run on Saturdays, Sundays are a cross-train day... and there is some strength training worked in there as well... but the plans are all very different).
  • chunkytfg
    Options
    @davis_em Are you varying the paces with the different runs? Shorter runs should be hard, medium ones at maybe your 10k pace+ 10-20secs then long runs at your target HM pace+20secs/mile
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @‌davis_em. Would the march 29th half be the A2A, Arbuckle's 2 Ardmore , Oklahoma?
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,210 MFP Moderator
    Options
    chunkytfg wrote: »
    @davis_em Are you varying the paces with the different runs? Shorter runs should be hard, medium ones at maybe your 10k pace+ 10-20secs then long runs at your target HM pace+20secs/mile

My pace does vary. The longer runs are slower pace for me, and shorter ones are faster. BUT, I don't really do that on purpose. LOL! MOstly, my shorter runs are faster because I know I don't have to hold back in order to have energy to finish like I do on long run days. :)

This time, I'm only training for distance - I don't really care how fast I run it, my only goal is to finish. If I do another one, I'll likely have a goal of beating whatever my time is on the one in March. Should I be worried about pacing anyway?

@Elise4270 - I'm in Maryland, so will be doing a race near me. :) I take it you're in Oklahoma?

• chunkytfg
    Options
    @davis_em if your target is to complete then your actual pace isn't an issue but running the shorter runs faster as I suggested will help with your overall pace for the longer runs.

Try mixing in some Fartlek runs for the shorter runs. They are random paced runs where you just put in random bursts of speed and constantly vary the pace from full on sprints between lamp posts to a couple of minutes running full on then back it right down but keep it random.
  • ybodwen
    ybodwen Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Planning to run my first half on March 1st! Awesome to see that I'm in such good company :smile: Good luck everyone and happy training!
  • davetheperson
    davetheperson Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am training for my second half marathon on April 12th. I ran the Philadelphia Half Marathon back in November; this year I am doing the full marathon. I am using Hal Higdon's Novice 2 Plan. I had some stuff going on that prevented me from running (the holidays, moving, and getting sick); but I finally got out today, which coincidentally happens to be 12 weeks out from April 12th. Feel free to add me.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    jklei169 wrote: »
    Ceci_O_K wrote: »
    I'm registered for my first half on April 11. I just started week 9 of a 20 week plan that I found online. So far, so good!

Which site side you get your plan from. I am basically upping my distance every week from now until the half to get up to running 12 miles at a time. I'm not really sure how to train but I figure I finish eventually.

halfmarathons.net

They have 12 and 16 week plans too.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    I used "The Marathon Method" by Tom Holland when I trained for my 1/2. FANTASTIC book or E-book for the money. His training method gets you race ready with the least amount of risk of injuring yourself prior to your actual race. It has multiple levels for half/full training programs.

Best wishes to everyone training for their first half! It's an incredible feeling crossing that finish line!!!!!!!
  • jeffininer
    jeffininer Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Anyone interested, this is the 10 week training plan I'm using. I've been really happy with how this schedule is working. My long runs feel good and it gets some strength and cross training in there.

10 Week Half Marathon Plan

I think since my first reply on here I'm going to sign up for 3 halfs and my first full in November. I think I've lost my marbles!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I just finished my 8th 1/2 marathon at Disneyland. It was magical... every single mile. My first marathon is this Sunday and I have all kinds of feelings.

Good luck with your training. It really is an awesome feeling to cross that finish line. I cried on my first one...well I still cry lets just be honest.
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Next week I start my training plan for a half on April 19th. Three weeks after that race I will run my first 25k! I may sign up for a June half also. Between now and April I am running 3 10k's (1/25, 2/15, 3/22 - winter race series in MI) and a 5 mile trail race in Texas (2/21).

Feel free to add me - I love to have running friends!
  • shoegal_81
    shoegal_81 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first half marathon on March 22nd. I completed my first session tonight (I missed last week due to being on holiday). I must admit I found it really tough but I haven't ran since mid December. I'm hoping my fitness improves and it gets easier.

Please feel free to add me could do with some friends for support & keep me motivated. X
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    maddymama wrote: »
    djscavone wrote: »
    My first will be May 17. I don't have a formal plan but I read up on a few (Hal Higdon). I made a log and spread sheet and basically make certain I log at least 3 miles a day and hen add a few days of 4, 6, and then an 8 where at least 8 weeks before the race I should have a good mix of distance with a "long day". Right now I am trying to build leg strength and mix in bike and elliptical as an off day.

Hey, so I have done two halfs. One I trained for, with my longer runs ranging from 6-12 miles, and one half I did with little training with a few 6 and 8 mile runs. I recommend training for at least one 10, 11, or even 12 mile run. The half I trained for was much easier to complete and I felt good and confident the whole way through it. The one where I didn't run enough long distances was really rough. I felt good until mile 10 (when I had trained up to 8), but the last three miles were TOUGH to finish. I suggest training for a few more longer runs... it will get your body used to the longer runs, and give you a chance to work out energy and liquid plan for race day. My recovery was also much better on the one I trained for. The one where I didn't train for it, I felt like I had been hit by a bus for a few days.

Thanks. Advice from someone whose been there is always welcome. I really appreciate the response.