Lifting enthusiasts -share your first experience

Options
Hi All,

Just wanted to know your very first experience with lifting.
How did you feel before and after using the weights/barbell?
How did you overcome the hesitation, if you had any, to start lifting?
How much did you weigh when you started?
What made you start lifting?
Did you seek any help or learnt it yourself from other resources?
Since how many months/years have you been lifting?
When did you start noticing changes post lifting?
What do you think is best and worst (if any) part of lifting?

Just curious :)

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I started out at home with little dumbbells in the 90s (5-8 lbs) and Tami Lee Webb exercise videos (Buns of Steel). In the early 2000s, I joined a gym and was terrified but got a couple sessions with a personal trainer to get started. At that time, my gym had a women's only area, and I felt comfortable there (they since lost this ability in a lawsuit). I started with dumbbells and machines over 10 years ago and honestly started with "Weightlifting for Dummies" and Oxygen magazine. Off and on, I would quit and gain like 60 pounds. I was only exercising every other year and was deep into an eating disorder at that time. Again, I was just using 5-20 pound dumbbells for most exercises and using machines. I knew that when I used machines, I always had to increase the weight on them from the previous person.

Slightly more than a year ago I started working with barbells in Crossfit. On my first deadlift day, I DL'd 200 pounds. Since then, I have been a voracious lifter in CF, powerlifting, and olympic lifting. I have competed in a PL comp and have the state record in my federation in master's women in raw bench and raw DL. I also placed first in my olympic lifting events in my division in both of my Crossfit competitions last year. I lift 5x per week in some format and it is my favorite thing EVER! When I started CF, I weighed 175 with a BF of about 33%. Now I weigh 170-175 with a BF of 23-24% (this is the ideal "fitness"-non-body builder range for a 41 year old woman, according to many BF charts). I am the same pants size that I previously was at 145#. I love my body now. I love what it can do. Now I worry about the weight on the bar! I eat to fuel my workouts and maintain my body composition easily.

Changing my mindset from what my body looks like to what it can do (specifically, changing from body building to powerlifting/Crossfit competitions) has been instrumental in my 18 month recovery from a 30 year eating disorder. :) It is simply the best thing I've ever done for myself!

I usually notice changes after about a month.
  • minniemickey
    minniemickey Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I started out at home with little dumbbells in the 90s (5-8 lbs) and Tami Lee Webb exercise videos (Buns of Steel). In the early 2000s, I joined a gym and was terrified but got a couple sessions with a personal trainer to get started. At that time, my gym had a women's only area, and I felt comfortable there (they since lost this ability in a lawsuit). I started with dumbbells and machines over 10 years ago and honestly started with "Weightlifting for Dummies" and Oxygen magazine. Off and on, I would quit and gain like 60 pounds. I was only exercising every other year and was deep into an eating disorder at that time. Again, I was just using 5-20 pound dumbbells for most exercises and using machines. I knew that when I used machines, I always had to increase the weight on them from the previous person.

Slightly more than a year ago I started working with barbells in Crossfit. On my first deadlift day, I DL'd 200 pounds. Since then, I have been a voracious lifter in CF, powerlifting, and olympic lifting. I have competed in a PL comp and have the state record in my federation in master's women in raw bench and raw DL. I also placed first in my olympic lifting events in my division in both of my Crossfit competitions last year. I lift 5x per week in some format and it is my favorite thing EVER! When I started CF, I weighed 175 with a BF of about 33%. Now I weigh 170-175 with a BF of 23-24% (this is the ideal "fitness"-non-body builder range for a 41 year old woman, according to many BF charts). I am the same pants size that I previously was at 145#. I love my body now. I love what it can do. Now I worry about the weight on the bar! I eat to fuel my workouts and maintain my body composition easily.

Changing my mindset from what my body looks like to what it can do (specifically, changing from body building to powerlifting/Crossfit competitions) has been instrumental in my 18 month recovery from a 30 year eating disorder. :) It is simply the best thing I've ever done for myself!

I usually notice changes after about a month.

Amazing story! Thanks for sharing!

• Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I was 14 years old and it was the first day of football. The coach wanted us to max out on the bench, squat and deadlift so he could gauge our strength levels. First he weighed us and measured us. I was 5'6'', 215lbs and pudgy. He then briefly displayed how to perform the lifts and off we went. First we worked up to a max on the bench. I got 155lbs. Then we maxed on squat and I squatted 295lbs, it was a little high but depth isn't something football coaches are usually worried about so they gave it to me. I wound up deadlifting 305 after that. I have been addicted to strength ever since then and it has helped me to compete in a variety of different sports at a high level. I have won several competitions/meets/matches in powerlifting, strongman, the highland games, Judo and Muay Thai since that point.

At any given moment I am training, thinking about training or talking to someone about training. It is something that I live and breathe. A lot of people would say that this is obsessive behavior and that I have some sort of mental illness but I really feel like people who are not passionate about something the way that I am are the ones with mental illnesses. How boring and mediocre of a life would one have if they didn't have something that they absolutely lived for?

I'm not saying that everyone needs to be obsessed with lifting, fighting or competing. I am saying that everyone needs to be passionate about something productive. If it weren't for me joining the football team in 9th grade I may not have been introduced to what I am now so passionate about.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I count as an enthusiast exactly, but here goes :wink:

How did you feel before and after using the weights/barbell?

Awkward, mostly. Took a while to be confident I had halfway decent form.

How did you overcome the hesitation, if you had any, to start lifting?

Pretty much just went and did it. Researched first, so I had a clue as far as lifts, form, starting weights, gym etiquette, but other than that, just went and did it.

How much did you weigh when you started?

117 lbs - I had just hit goal weight.

What made you start lifting?

Not really happy with my weight loss results, and wanted some functional exercise. Getting stronger is always an attraction.

Did you seek any help or learnt it yourself from other resources?

It was all me, Google, and a critical mind.

Since how many months/years have you been lifting?

Full year this month.

When did you start noticing changes post lifting?

Immediately, but they were temporary (muscle pump). After a month to 6 wks noticed definite strength increases. Took a bulking phase to really notice muscle development, and that wasn't much, but within expectations for a beginner female lifter so I was happy enough.

What do you think is best and worst (if any) part of lifting?

Best - relatively short workout, area of my gym not crowded, feel like I'm working for a purpose, lifting things more safely outside of the gym too, when I took up running could really tell I had pretty good cardio conditioning already just from the lifting

Worst - not fond of squatting when I'm under a weight that I seriously don't know if I can do even one rep. Even with safety bars, and having failed before and been 100% fine, it still makes me nervous and I'm sure I fail sometimes just from the mental aspect. Don't feel that way with any other lift, I guess because it's easier to bail on those.
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I started out reading all sorts of articles, pouring over form videos and doing bodyweight squats at home, trying to be super-conscious of pushing my hips back, resting my weight over my heels, etc, etc.

When I finally went, I ended up watching this one Asian dude do his squats out of the corner of my eye (looking back, I was probably blatantly staring - sorry, Asian dude). After working up my confidence, I went up and racked the bar and go ready to lift. I did a few warm ups with just the bar and felt okay.

Then I said "*kitten* it", walked over to the Asian dude (he'd moved on to OHP in a rack behind mine) and sheepishly asked him - after he was done his set - if he wouldn't mind giving my form a look. I told him I was new to this, it was my first time lifting and I wanted to make sure my squat form was okay. I said he looked like he knew what he was doing and I'd appreciate some pointers.

So he followed me back to my rack, I did a few sets of five with the bar, and he gave me a good critique. He noted I kept my knees from going in front of my toes, I seemed to have a good connection to the ground through my heels and told me to make sure my knees didn't bow inwards (I've since well-improved that). He gave me a smile, a thumbs up and we went our separate ways.

I wanted to lift because it looked cool. Hefting a barbell over my head? Squatting my bodyweight? As a chick, that sounded really neat! Also, I felt my performance in martial arts was weak and I, as I was approaching brown belt at the time, felt I needed to up my physical ability so as not to be pummeled by the men in my belt grade (still working on that one). After my first squat session, though, I was legit hooked. I find barbell lifting makes me feel powerful and confident. I love what it's done for my back, legs and arms. I love what it's done for my speed and power in sparring.

I find now, after lifting for about 8 months, I need it. I honestly go a bit crazy if I don't get a lift session in. I want to encourage all my female friends to lift and lift heavy because I feel it can be empowering.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Interestingly (I think), since I do olympic lifting, we work on getting our knees past our toes. I always heard you weren't supposed to and I've been spending a lot of time on ankle mobility in the last year to try to increase my ability to track my ankles out over toes in overhead squat and catching a snatch!
  • minniemickey
    Options
    @Lofteren‌ Great story! That's true passion!

@stealthq‌ Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

@ThatMouse‌ That's great! I will take you as inspiration and muster the courage to ask someone soon.

Thanks everyone, it's very encouraging to read your experiences!
  • allieallieoxenfree
    allieallieoxenfree Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely a novice, but my husband and I were talking about funny starting-to-lift stories tonight, so I thought I'd share.

The first time I ever did deadlifts, I took the bar down from the squat rack and did my deadlifts, lah dee dah--and then could NOT get the bar back up to the squat rack. Just the bar. No weight on it at all. I tried for like 5 minutes, balancing it on my hips, trying to kind of jump it up... and nope. Not happening. I had to go ask someone to put it up for me.

My husband's funny story was that when he first started lifting, he didn't know what the collars were for, so he just... didn't use them. Apparently that ended quickly: as he was benching, the plates sloooowly slid off one side, then, of course, he like threw that side of the bar up into the air, cause the plates on the other side to shoot off and go rolling and clanging all over the gym.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »
    I was 14 years old and it was the first day of football. The coach wanted us to max out on the bench, squat and deadlift so he could gauge our strength levels. First he weighed us and measured us. I was 5'6'', 215lbs and pudgy. He then briefly displayed how to perform the lifts and off we went. First we worked up to a max on the bench. I got 155lbs. Then we maxed on squat and I squatted 295lbs, it was a little high but depth isn't something football coaches are usually worried about so they gave it to me. I wound up deadlifting 305 after that. I have been addicted to strength ever since then and it has helped me to compete in a variety of different sports at a high level. I have won several competitions/meets/matches in powerlifting, strongman, the highland games, Judo and Muay Thai since that point.

At any given moment I am training, thinking about training or talking to someone about training. It is something that I live and breathe. A lot of people would say that this is obsessive behavior and that I have some sort of mental illness but I really feel like people who are not passionate about something the way that I am are the ones with mental illnesses. How boring and mediocre of a life would one have if they didn't have something that they absolutely lived for?

I'm not saying that everyone needs to be obsessed with lifting, fighting or competing. I am saying that everyone needs to be passionate about something productive. If it weren't for me joining the football team in 9th grade I may not have been introduced to what I am now so passionate about.

You benched 155, squatted 295, and deadlifted 305 at the age of 14? Wow... :o
  • jyogit
    jyogit Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    i'm only on week two of sl 5x5 and loving it already.. i do feel a bit uncomfortable right now with my arms on the squats ..and trying to remember all the tips n hints is a bit daunting but im gonna stick with it, the feeling the day after is just immense.. bad thing is it keeps me awake .. lol
    i started with 5x5 as i had been doing dumbells and running for the first 6months and i lost weight and gained strength etc etc .. i had never even run for a bus up to that point and im 47 now :)
    i joined mfp, i read a lot, i googled a lot, i watched youtube a lot and made my mind up from there on in .. i dont have gym membership as i work too many hrs , so i do my lifting at work . im only going to go so far with it as im not really sure i want to start lifting the real heavy stuff for fear of injuring myself which i know would spoil the whole thing for me and id probably never lift again after that.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I've only been lifting for 2.5 months. I am 52 years old, and I have been maintaining my weight loss for a few years but wanted to become a stronger mountain bike rider. With winter coming, I figured this would be a way to gain strength while I'm not able to ride outdoors. So...I started with, and continue to use, a personal trainer. It's been great.

I feel like a weakling next to some of these incredible MFP lifters, but my one-rep max has gone (first day assessment to this past Monday, about 2.5 months in) from 50 to 80 on bench press; 50 to 105 on squats, 45 to 80 on overhead press, and 80 to 120 on deadlifts. Even today, since I had a slight pulled muscle and have been giving my deadlifts a bit of a break, I did four sets of 5 reps, then 15 reps (to failure) at 95 pounds, deadlifting. It may not be the best I could've been if I didn't pull this little muscle, but compared to my first one-rep max assessment 10 weeks ago, I'm pretty proud.

To answer some of your other questions, I started at 145 pounds, now weigh about 151, consciously on a slow gain so my muscles also grow. Plan on cutting come spring/bike season.

I probably would not have succeeded without a personal trainer. I'd be using the weight machines half-assedly and ellipticalling my time away. I supposed at some point I'll take it on my own, but it's likely I'll have some sort of periodic check-ins with my trainer as long as we're both alive and kicking...and lifting. Dude doesn't know what he got into....

And let me mention if you're not sick of reading this already...box jumps! Couldn't even fathom jumping on the "real" box at the gym, but I can jump on the 20" side now without a problem. Totally proud of myself since I was completely freaked out just jumping on one of the aerobic steps. I think with committing to weightlifting, you'll always be in for unanticipated surprises that build your confidence in unexpected ways. It's great, I love it, and wish I had started years ago.
  • JessMcD86
    Options
    My first experience was love at first lift!

I had a personal trainer introduce me to the bar, we did a lot of pre work before we moved on to the olympic lifting. I still work on my form and flexibility to ensure my lifts are safe. I dropped a heap of cms just by lifting (minimal cardio - except stuff like sled pulls/pushes/burpees). It wans't about weight for me, as I was gaining so much muscle. I have been lifting on and off for 18 months (I stopped during my divorce) but so happy to be back into it. I starting noticing changes within a couple of weeks, arms and legs getting firmer and I was making massive gains, especially on my deadlifts (87.5kg PB so far). What I find the best part about lifting, is knowing I can bring all my groceries in one hit! I don't have a worst part, because I love it all, I love the muscle definition, the ability to pick up heavy things and even the DOMS!
  • minniemickey
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Can't wait to start lifting!