Overweight Musicians?

Options
Well hi!
I'd love to hear from other musicians out there struggling to fit the "public image" expected of someone in the music industry.
I find that as a female its been especially difficult to come to terms emotionally with that idea, and almost find myself sabotaging my progress because of a strange fear of success.

I am currently 68 lbs overweight, 5 foot 3. I sing and play guitar/bass/ukulele/keys in a few different bands, along with my own singer songwriter music (folk/pop/indie)

*My personal belief is that good music is good music. Unfortunately once you start playing shows and touring, people still seem to judge books by their c overs.

Just a friendly shout out to see if anyone can relate! :)

Replies

• writtenloudly
    Options
    I know that I can relate to that weird "fear of success" thing. Deep down, I don't think anyone's actually afraid of being successful. What they're afraid of is becoming successful and failing. Your brain thinks: "If I don't put my heart into this/try/etc., somehow I won't fail". Ironically, that thinking pattern leads to failure simply by inaction... but we still trick ourselves. I think in a lot of ways, this can be connected to diet and exercise just as easily as it can to creative endeavors.

Failure's familiar and predictable. Success, then failure, just seems especially cruel and trying. I think that the trick is learning to appreciate failure as a learning experience and to remember that failure is not a fixed, permanent state.

I had a difficult time with performing and being self-conscious about my appearance until I started watching some Jack Black, Johny Hiland, and Cee Lo Green performances. They're all really big guys, but they have huge followings and great stage persona.
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I definitely relate.... I've pretty much given up playing these days because of it....
  • PurdueBoilerFan
    Options
    I'm not sure if it's because I'm a guy and it's different, but I've been a touring musician and comedian for a LONG time and the weight has never seemed to have any affect one way or the other. (wait...is the Effect? I NEVER get that right, sigh). What it HAS affected is my stamina and general health, which doesn't allow me to give as good a performance as I should be giving.
  • tacocasual
    Options
    I'm a jazz player and being female I definitely get it. I don't look overweight, not yet anyway, but I get those pressures and as my weight is starting to pile on the more nervous I get to wear those tight, light black dresses before a crowd of people.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    34_myths_legends_Mamas_Papas_color-copy.jpg
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Susan Boyle
    susan-boyle-pic-pa-106501596.jpg
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Israel Kamakawi'ole
    6a00d83451db7969e201538f8b5445970b.jpg
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Rita MacNeil
    gallery_image_391.jpg?t=1371054478
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I prefer backup singer as I am not too fond of the spotlight. It takes cojones to take the center stage, for sure.

http://www.marshall.usc.edu/news/releases/2014/what-makes-song-sing
  • PSS33884
    PSS33884 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    B) I am the lead singer in a country/classic rock band. The guys in the band are fine with the way I look. However, I am not. We are just starting to perform out and I don't want my weight to effect us getting a gig. I also need to lose the weight for me. I am diabetic and enjoy not taking as much insulin as i used to. I am currently down 38lbs total. Switched from WW to MFP. Everyday is a struggle but I just keep on going.
  • hindms
    hindms Posts: 6
    Options
    I know what you're talking about, I'm a musician and often I have people come and say to me I have to look more presentable on stage, it got to my head, and I want to be healthy for stage. Feel free to add me and we can push each other, I've got 50 lb to lose
  • PSS33884
    PSS33884 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    A many years ago I had the GM of a local radio station tell me that it doesn't matter how good I was. I wouldn't get anywhere because of my age and weight. I let that get in my head for too long.