Protein powder causing unwanted weight gain?

Options
sheepyfred
sheepyfred Posts: 7 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi guys! I'll start by saying that I have used MyFitnessPal successfully to lose weight in the past, but a few extra pounds have crept back on and, in the last few months, I have noticed some weight gain even while trying to lose those pounds again. In trying to pinpoint what I may be doing differently, I realized there was one major difference. For the past few months, I've been using Melaleuca protein powder in my breakfast smoothies every morning, and sometimes having another one throughout the day.
My question is this: has anyone had experience with protein powder making them gain unwanted weight? The only information I have found online states the obvious, that you have to account for the added calories.
I'm wondering if it's maybe my system reacting to something in the protein powder, and thus storing fat for some reason. In any case, I'm going to scrap the protein powder this week and see what happens. Thanks in advance for your replies!

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    When I first started taking protein powder my weight did jump. I freaked at first, but I realized it was making me retain water and causing a bit of constipation. Like you, it was the only thing I had added to my diet. I stuck with it, my body got used to it, the weight went back down. It took a few weeks.
  • SamberryC
    SamberryC Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm with Lauren, It's likely just retained water. Do you know if there's any Creatine in your shake then that's probably the reason why. It's just water weight.
    When I started using protein powder my weight went up for a few weeks. I began freaking out and started cutting out foods from my diet, but it did nothing.
    Either wait a month and see if anything changes, or try switching to a different protein powder.
    Good luck.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're measuring your powder correctly. I've used protein powder to supplement my protein through losing and into maintenance. But I weigh the powder before adding it to the blender, the scoop can be very inaccurate.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Azurite27 wrote: »
    Make sure you're measuring your powder correctly. I've used protein powder to supplement my protein through losing and into maintenance. But I weigh the powder before adding it to the blender, the scoop can be very inaccurate.

This is true. I weigh my powder too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Protein powder causing unwanted weight gain?

No...
  • sheepyfred
    Options
    Thanks for the tips guys! I'm going to avoid this one for a little while and see if I notice any difference, and then at least I may have an idea of whether or not the gaining is related. I'm hoping that's what it is, and that it's not just my metabolism starting to get slower the older I get :smiley:
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    If it's not water retention, you're consuming too many calories. Protein powers are crammed pack with kcals so I'm always very careful when measuring them out.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    sheepyfred wrote: »
    I'm wondering if it's maybe my system reacting to something in the protein powder, and thus storing fat for some reason.

Your system can't manufacture fat without calories. Fat cells aren't conjured up out of and filled with thin air, right?

Source: Physics.

Where do folks come up with this stuff?

• sheepyfred
    Options
    Thank you to the people who offered me helpful suggestions (Laurend224, SamberryC, Azurite27, Lemonsnowdrop); I never thought of weighing the powder, and I will be looking at the ingredients, etc and remember that it could be water retention. I appreciate all of your help :smile:
    To those who couldn't find anything encouraging to say, perhaps you could try to find a nicer way to share your knowledge!