Discover what's new & improved in the MyFitnessPal app!
We’re dedicated to helping you achieve your health and nutrition goals. And our newest features and updates? They do just that. Learn how we're making tracking your progress easier, faster, and more motivating than ever.

Lose skin

Options
does everyone get lose skin when they lose weight, I have lost 68 lb and have no lose skin. I want to lose another 62 lb. in the first year of losing weight I only lost 50lb. Is losing weight at a slow rate a good thing to do so you don't have lose skin, please let me know if I could have lose skin or not because I don't have any lose skin right now.

Replies

• samanthamcarmack
    samanthamcarmack Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    For some odd reason it did and don't know why
  • fluffyasacat
    fluffyasacat Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Everyone spells lose as loose, but this thread proves you can make the mistake backwards as well.

I'm sure people have replied on the other threads - loose skin comes down to age, speed of loss, general health and hydration. Others will say "lift! you won't get any loose skin!" but this is demonstrably false.
  • samanthamcarmack
    Options
    Thank kase_kay, my stomach is getting flatter and not much belly is left I just hope my skin will just come in or some people will say snap back, but I have been kinda over weight for most of my teen and now adult life and I wanted a change
  • Debssssssssss
    Debssssssssss Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    No one can tell you if you are going to have loose skin or not. Its just like stretch marks, some people get them, some don't. :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It took about sixty pounds before I started noticing loose skin. Even then, it was mostly just wrinkly and noticeable only in certain positions.

Twenty more pounds down and it's everywhere and very gross. I shudder to think how disgusting it'll be when I lose 30-45 more pounds.

When I first started, I knew it was a possibility that I'd end up with it, but was all, "It's better than being fat!" That's one of those viewpoints that is easier to hold when the thing in question is still theoretical and not grossing you out every morning.

Someone said they view it like a badge of honor, a permanent reminder of the awesome job they did losing weight. I am trying to adopt that attitude. I am also hoping, probably in vain, that it will tighten up over time.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Options
    Is losing weight at a slow rate a good thing to do so you don't have lose skin.

Nah, that's an old myth. It just makes it less noticeable during the 1-2 years it can take for skin to snap back. Skin elasticity declines with age, so lose it fast while you're still young. Follow a good strength training program, to minimize the muscle loss that happens with weight loss. Do you have access to a gym / strength equipment?

MYuysUc.jpg
  • samanthamcarmack
    Options
    So since I have lost almost 70 and have no sign of loose skin, I should be fine and I drink lots of water so I'm hydrated all the time.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Loose skin / stretch marks = Genetic lottery
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I have lost 70 pounds with no loose skin. Weight training helps.
  • samanthamcarmack
    Options
    moto450 wrote: »
    I have lost 70 pounds with no loose skin. Weight training helps.
    My stomach doesn't hang at all and my legs are good and so are my arms, I have not gone to a gym, the only thing I do is in the warmer months I will rid a bike for 12 miles. I want to go to a gym soon so I can get stronger and have some muscle mass.