Night Shift RN looking for friends and support

Options
After 21 years on night shift and 5 kids I've managed to pack on the pounds. I've got at least. 60 pounds to lose and was hoping for some new friends and lots of support and encouragement from people who are in the same boat I am in. Please feel free to add me.

Replies

• c_flygirl
    c_flygirl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Im in a slightly different boat but also work shifts so know what havoc that plays on the body and food plans. Ill send a request :smile:
  • mrod7557
    mrod7557 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am a truck driver and I try to pack healthy snacks n food, protein bars, it helps me stay focus
  • jenniferhanisch5
    jenniferhanisch5 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I"ve been on nights for 8 years as a RN as well, sent a request
  • kimmer42015
    Options
    I'm an LPN and work different shifts, mainly a switch between 12hr nights and 8hr days. I have 4 children and find most of my focus is on them. I decided it was time to get serious about taking care of my health! A healthy Mom is a happy Mom! I'm sort of fumbling my way through at the moment, seeing how it goes. I've never been find of having to track calories, counting things eye, it all feels overwhelming and tedious, but with this app it looks like all I need to do is simply put in what I eat and adjust accordingly to where Im at with my goals. Anyway, happy to chat and share support with a fellow nurse! :)
  • Flirtin_With_Disaster
    Options
    Thanks for the add!!
  • Flirtin_With_Disaster
    Options
    Thanks for the add!!

• missymc65
    missymc65 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have worked nights for 17 years! I have lost 25 lbs and have about that much more to go and it such a struggle. So glad to find someone that understands the struggle!!
    Melissa
  • Flirtin_With_Disaster
    Options
    It is hard girl but we can do this!!
  • Flirtin_With_Disaster
    Options
    missymc65 wrote: »
    I have worked nights for 17 years! I have lost 25 lbs and have about that much more to go and it such a struggle. So glad to find someone that understands the struggle!!
    Melissa
    I'm an LPN and work different shifts, mainly a switch between 12hr nights and 8hr days. I have 4 children and find most of my focus is on them. I decided it was time to get serious about taking care of my health! A healthy Mom is a happy Mom! I'm sort of fumbling my way through at the moment, seeing how it goes. I've never been find of having to track calories, counting things eye, it all feels overwhelming and tedious, but with this app it looks like all I need to do is simply put in what I eat and adjust accordingly to where Im at with my goals. Anyway, happy to chat and share support with a fellow nurse! :)

• Flirtin_With_Disaster
    Options
    Come on! We have got this!!
  • xxoneluckygirlxx
    xxoneluckygirlxx Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    i use to work as a night nurse but switched to days... but kept the bad habits of eating and sleeping.
  • bunchesofoats
    bunchesofoats Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just discovered this feed and I'm so excited because I'm a night shift RN too and I struggle having a balanced diet while working. Trying to work on healthy eating, good habits and a balanced nutrition. Especially working in a surgical cardiac unit!
  • Flirtin_With_Disaster
    Options
    i use to work as a night nurse but switched to days... but kept the bad habits of eating and sleeping.

Yea the habits are hard to break. Even when I'm off I continue to stay up until the wee hours of the morning and graze all night. Lol!!
  • Flirtin_With_Disaster
    Options
    Just discovered this feed and I'm so excited because I'm a night shift RN too and I struggle having a balanced diet while working. Trying to work on healthy eating, good habits and a balanced nutrition. Especially working in a surgical cardiac unit!

It is extremely hard to stay on track at night. Your food choices are limited. Co workers are always ordering out which tempts you and so you eat like crap then go home and sleep while your body concerts all those extra calories to adipose tissue :-) a lot of times I eat when we are slow or to stay awake which is a very bad habit indeed. Welcome aboard!!
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I work nights too. My coworkers spend the night ordering out, eating cakes and junk food and stuff. I know it's hard, but with a little restraint, it's possible!

It does require a bit of planning ahead, however. I work in NYC, where everyone thinks it's a 24 hour city, but I work in Brooklyn where the the only things open are 7-11 and McDonald's.

I take the morning of my last day and cook a few day's food, refrigerate or freeze. Take a bunch of small meals and small healthy snacks.

Just to point out, I've lost more than 50 of the 75lbs I've lost while working nights, so it is possible!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    There is a Night Shift Thread that has been on-going for quite a while so be on the lookout for it as they have been a good source of support for fellow night shifters.
  • Flirtin_With_Disaster
    Options
    belimawr wrote: »
    I work nights too. My coworkers spend the night ordering out, eating cakes and junk food and stuff. I know it's hard, but with a little restraint, it's possible!

It does require a bit of planning ahead, however. I work in NYC, where everyone thinks it's a 24 hour city, but I work in Brooklyn where the the only things open are 7-11 and McDonald's.

I take the morning of my last day and cook a few day's food, refrigerate or freeze. Take a bunch of small meals and small healthy snacks.

Just to point out, I've lost more than 50 of the 75lbs I've lost while working nights, so it is possible!

Congratulations on such an awesome weight loss! That is truly inspiring. I'm so impressed with people that can be that diligent for that long. Your right with some planning it is possible. I tend to buy a lot of prepackaged foods simply for convenience and you know exactly how many calories your putting in your mouth.
  • Flirtin_With_Disaster
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    There is a Night Shift Thread that has been on-going for quite a while so be on the lookout for it as they have been a good source of support for fellow night shifters.

Thanks! I'll see if I can find it. It makes it so much easier when you have people who understand where your coming from.
  • angelvamp63
    angelvamp63 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I work nights too,but in a supermarket,plays havoc with your eating habits.
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    pscapps1 wrote: »
    Congratulations on such an awesome weight loss! That is truly inspiring. I'm so impressed with people that can be that diligent for that long. Your right with some planning it is possible. I tend to buy a lot of prepackaged foods simply for convenience and you know exactly how many calories your putting in your mouth.

Thanks. My first time around working nights, I wasn't able to lose anything. When this time came around I was concerned - I read a lot about how it was harder at night. It appears to nto be as bad as I may have thought.

Been there with the prepackaged foods as well. Once you start getting used to logging and start actually weighing, you'll know as well what you're putting in your mouth.

And, well, how much better it is (tasting and nutritionally).

Not to mention cheaper. ;)