Trying to lose 25lbs in 12 weeks...accountabilibuddy anyone??

Options
I'm a thirty something mom of three boys. I'm only 5'1" and desperately want to drop from 150 to 125. The struggle is so much easier with accountabilibuddies. Friend me if you can relate or could benefit from some extra support.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Why 12 weeks? That is going to be tough. When you have so little to lose it becomes harder to do.
  • Sophiareed218
    Sophiareed218 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    That may not be a realistic goal for that time frame. To lose the first 15 to 20 pounds,maybe a pound a week, the last 5 to 10 pounds are more difficult and should go about .5 pounds per week.
  • raechellejoi
    raechellejoi Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Why 12 weeks? That is going to be tough. When you have so little to lose it becomes harder to do.

I was 125 before my 3rd son and have been on a roller-coaster weight-loss ride ever since. He is five years old now. Feeling like it's now or never. 12 weeks is about 2lbs/week. That would feel like progress to me.
  • ent3rpryze
    Options
    accountabilibuddies! hahaha. i'd be your friend because of the butter's drop alone. i'm not sure what kind of help you're looking for though.
  • queenliz99
    Options

I was 125 before my 3rd son and have been on a roller-coaster weight-loss ride ever since. He is five years old now. Feeling like it's now or never. 12 weeks is about 2lbs/week. That would feel like progress to me.

But being in a hurry to lose weight will leave you hungry. Losing weight slower is more sustainable and you get more calories to work with on a daily basis. It won't even feel like you are on a diet. 1/2 to 1 pound a week will be gone in 20 to 25 weeks. It took me 4 months to lose 20 pounds and for me it was easy, easier than you may think.
  • raechellejoi
    Options
    That may not be a realistic goal for that time frame. To lose the first 15 to 20 pounds,maybe a pound a week, the last 5 to 10 pounds are more difficult and should go about .5 pounds per week.
    I am on a shake program that advertises losing 6X more weight 8x faster. This is my 90 day/12 week goal. It will be amazing if I can reach it. But I will be happy with any significant weight loss by then. I'll still be getting healthier.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options

1% of your body weight is a better goal. Losing that amount a week (1000 calorie deficit per day) is tough on your body. You're 5'1, 150 and 35 which gives you approximately a BMR of 1429. Now say you burn an extra 600 calories a day on top of that. To reach your goal, you'd only be consuming 1029 calories a day. Not a good idea.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • queenliz99
    Options
    I am on a shake program that advertises losing 6X more weight 8x faster. This is my 90 day/12 week goal. It will be amazing if I can reach it. But I will be happy with any significant weight loss by then. I'll still be getting healthier.

You need to eat the way you plan to eat the rest of your life. Drinking shakes teaches you nothing.
  • raechellejoi
    Options
    ent3rpryze wrote: »
    accountabilibuddies! hahaha. i'd be your friend because of the butter's drop alone. i'm not sure what kind of help you're looking for though.

Encouragement & accountability.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Shakes aren't food. Nor do they teach you to eat correctly. I'm assuming it's Body by Vi or something similar. Liquid diets have the highest recourse of weight regain because once one gets reintroduced to solid foods, the weight easily piles back on.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    With so little to lose, you'd be doing very well if you lost 1 lb per week.
    0.5 lb would be a more reasonable expectation.
    Don't set yourself up for failure.

I started out with 110 lb to lose, and over the last year I've averaged 1.5 lb per week. Yes, some weeks I lost a lot more, and some weeks I stalled.

Here's a newbie help post where I compiled helpful info & links, including sexypants & goal setting.
  • raechellejoi
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Shakes aren't food. Nor do they teach you to eat correctly. I'm assuming it's Body by Vi or something similar. Liquid diets have the highest recourse of weight regain because once one gets reintroduced to solid foods, the weight easily piles back on.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I completely understand the importance of eating healthy food and making lifestyle changes. I'm not relying solely on the shakes. I'm incorporating healthy meals of 500-600 calories ea. I'm lost on the BMR, though. What does it measure?
  • raechellejoi
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    With so little to lose, you'd be doing very well if you lost 1 lb per week.
    0.5 lb would be a more reasonable expectation.
    Don't set yourself up for failure.

I started out with 110 lb to lose, and over the last year I've averaged 1.5 lb per week. Yes, some weeks I lost a lot more, and some weeks I stalled.

Here's a newbie help post where I compiled helpful info & links, including sexypants & goal setting.

Thank you for the link! Very helpful.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I completely understand the importance of eating healthy food and making lifestyle changes. I'm not relying solely on the shakes. I'm incorporating healthy meals of 500-600 calories ea. I'm lost on the BMR, though. What does it measure?
    BMR is how many calories you currently burn if you got up and just laid in bed all day. Other physical activity that's added to this equals your TDEE (including work, chores, etc.) So I just made an example of your BMR+600 calories for a TDEE of 2029. Subtract 1000 from that and you'd only be able to consume 1029 for your goal of 2lbs a week. Again, not a good idea. A HEALTHY weight loss is about 1% of your body weight per week and for you that's about 1.5lbs and decreases as you lose weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• raechellejoi
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

BMR is how many calories you currently burn if you got up and just laid in bed all day. Other physical activity that's added to this equals your TDEE (including work, chores, etc.) So I just made an example of your BMR+600 calories for a TDEE of 2029. Subtract 1000 from that and you'd only be able to consume 1029 for your goal of 2lbs a week. Again, not a good idea. A HEALTHY weight loss is about 1% of your body weight per week and for you that's about 1.5lbs and decreases as you lose weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I can do 1.5lbs/week. I will still be happy with that. Thank you for the info. I really appreciate it. As a professional, I'm sure you already have a lot of friends on MFP. Would you mind adding me? Or do you have a blog/site I can follow?