Whats for dinner? (besides chicken & fish)

Options
Does anybody have some good ideas for dinner? I am so sick of chicken and fish for my lean protien. I do eat a steak or pork chops now and then but I have to plan my whole day around it. Im not a big recipe person but would be willing to try something simple, especially if my whole family might enjoy it. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Replies

• cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,400 Member
    Options
    We're doing homemade make your own pizza tonight. I'll make mine with a flatout wrap, chicken, red onion and gorgonzola cheese with some olive oil on the wrap. The kids can use a boboli shell and put on whatever they want. Great option for our Friday "fun night". I use lots of ground turkey mixed with ground beef to make tacos, meat sauce and whatnot. We also eat a lot of pork tenderloin, it's very lean and is very versatile. Check out skinnytaste.com. She has some great recipes on there that the whole family will enjoy.
  • mpfand
    mpfand Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    We're having sloppy joes tonight made with 98% lean ground beef. I use the 100 calorie round bread as the bun. Simple, and it'll fill up my teens without causing me to go over on calories.
  • BlessedMomX2
    BlessedMomX2 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • TaraLawrence11
    TaraLawrence11 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I love ground turkey. Last night was turkey taco salad!!! YUMMY!!! I used the low sodium taco seasoning as welll and it was YUMMY!!
  • sd101483
    sd101483 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Turkey cutlets with lemon pepper seasoning and some kind of veggie! Another of my favorites is turkey burgers, with mushrooms and provolone seared on under the broiler! Served with homemade french fries or sweet potatoe fries or chips - just cut a potato or sweet potatoe thin and throw on whatever seasoning you like (if you like) bake until your desired doneness - throw em under broilder for some crispness!
  • jeseka619
    jeseka619 Posts: 21
    Options
    You can do alot with ground turkey! We make patties mixed with garlic, spinach and low or no fat feta cheese (just alittle!) and grill them - they come out so flavorfull! I also ground up turkey burger and mix in peppers, onions, tomatos, black olives(just a few!) and a little dollop of sour cream and salsa and I eat it right out of the bowl! You could have it in a wheat wrap too if you wanted.

Do you like shrimp? We eat a lot of shrimp - grilled wit Ms. Dash seasonings and it's awesome. Have it with grilled veggies and it's delicious! I could even make a meal out of just grilled veggies - peppers, onions, tomato, zuccinni, summer squash, etc!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I bought some pork stir fry pieces the other day so I think I'm going to have that with rice, and then lots of veggies and maybe a couple of yorkshire puddings if the calories allow.
  • StephenHerrera
    Options
    I have actually switched from beef to buffalo. It tastes every bit as good as beef and is actually less fatty than chicken. I get mine from whole foods and it comes in all the cuts that beef does as well as ground. This way I do not feel like I am missing anything eating/flavor wise and its very healthy for you. There are tons of articles out there about how good buffalo is. A cooking tip, because its much leaner I find it tends to cook in half the time as beef. Hope this helps.
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I eat almost anything that I would normally feed my family. Steak is not bad...just portion it and make sure it's lean. Ground beef. Yum. Eggs. Pork chops/roast/ham (tho lots of sodium). I have made some changes, trying to make more from scratch instead of using boxes, mixes or cans, but for the most part I eat anything my family eats. :)
  • amarie35
    amarie35 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cooking w/ Tuna & it's SOOoo good!!

Starkist Tuna recipes can be found on their online website @ http://www.starkist.com/template.asp?section=recipes/index.html
  • lilsweetslol
    lilsweetslol Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    we cook with venison wich is really lean, steaks or burger.
    Turkey burger meatballs or turkey italian sausage with sauteed veggies -just pay attention to the fat content because the darker turkey is higher fat.
    I also cook with lamb chops- I have an awesome recipe from Jillian Michaels. fennell crusted lamb chops or djon rosemary lampchops
    I think i've cooked up every single type of fish you could imagine : )
  • knrbaker
    knrbaker Posts: 21
    Options
    Thank you for all the ideas. Ground turkey, pork tenderloin and shrimp are on my shopping list! I will have to try some of the recipe sites you all shared with me.
    It is so easy to get bored with meals. I really appriciate the help. :flowerforyou:
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I did a blog for my dinner tonight... as I think on it I make changes. It won't actually be finalized until I cook it.

This is kind of how I cook. LOL.

Bison sirloin tip steak (about 16 oz.)
    Mandarin oranges in juice, drained, juice reserved.
    Cilantro
    garlic
    onion
    mushrooms
    Almonds? Maybe pick up some cashews instead?
    Kharcho? or Baharat? or Madras?
    Ginger?
    Mace?
    Allspice?
    Touch of soy sauce?
    Maybe potato flour to thicken?

Sautee mushrooms, onion, and garlic in olive oil. Coat bison with flour, add to sautee mix and brown. Add 1/2 of the mandarin oranges plus all of the juice, cilantro and spices/nuts. Simmer until oranges are mushed and bison cooked.

Serve over salad tonight with "cold" oranges and other assorted veggies.

Package up over quinoa with frozen stir fry veggies, extra sauce and left over oranges for "frozen dinner" lunches.

Will finalize as I'm making it.
  • amberlilies
    amberlilies Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    vegetarian black bean chili a cool lime/avocado/cilantro "salsa"