Ideas for Snacks

Options
teanabean
teanabean Posts: 168 Member
Right now I have mastered the art of successful SWEET snacking but I've noticed I am having a REALLY hard time fitting veggies into my daily routine. What are some good, quick and nutritious veggie snacks?

I do NOT like onions or celery. Anything else I am game.

Replies

• cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,423 Member
    Options
    baby carrots and hummus (the Athenos roasted red pepper is really good), cut up zucchini and squash with the hummus. I know you don't like celery but I love to fill it with laughing cow cheese wedges.
  • strapple
    strapple Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    broccoli and carrots with low fat ranch or even fat free sourcream mixed with ranch powder. mmmm
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    sugar snap peas, soy beans, celery with pb or cream cheese, cucumbers, sliced bell peppers, Cherry tomatoes, carrots!
  • leamgood
    leamgood Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I like kale chips.
  • teanabean
    teanabean Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I've never tried the Laughing Cow cheese with the celery. I'm adding broccoli with humus to my list thanks!
  • rexkt
    rexkt Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    One snacking habit I've been getting into is making your own 100 cal packs. Whether it be mixed veggies, or veggies chips or nuts and crackers! Portion out and get it zip locks bags..they're also great for on the run:)
  • Andie122
    Andie122 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    We make hummus every weekend, and cut up bell peppers, carrots, and broccoli to dip. It's the only way I eat fresh veggies! And it's delish!

I also like to eat a couple of pieces of turkey and a bit of cheese, or cottage cheese, or nuts to round out my not-sweet snacks.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I love sugar snap peas.. They're great on their own, no need for dipping. :)
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Try to stay away from stuff like cream cheese and laughing cow cheese. Usually that stuff is ultra processed with all sorts of food like chemicals that your body doesn't need. Cheese is AWESOME, but so fatty. Stick with these cheeses for healthy eating - neufchatel, feta, mozzarella, goat cheese, and ricotta.

I like doing a roasted veggie bruschetta. I'll used the leftover roasted veggies from the night before, chopped and chilled. I mix in fresh chopped basil, olive oil, and tomatoes. So good on Melba rounds or whole wheat toast
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    If you like hummus, try fava bean dips too

There's the Morrocan variety, called Bissara and the Egyptian style, called Ful Medames
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I am becoming good at finding products I can swap out of my old grocery list. My kiids and I really like Gardein Garden Protein Chicken Tenders. They actually aren't chicken at all... it's all vegetable and they taste good. Have you tried Boca Burgers?

I have been putting a lot of effort into trying different things to get my daughter to eat more fruits and vegetables. She is very resistant. I buy Fruitables juice boxes and fruit juice bars. You might try changing things up a little -- like freezing some in-season berries (strawberries/blueberries) and use them in drinks instead of ice cubes. Your drinks won't get watery and you can eat the thawed berries when you empty the glass. Watermelon will be everywhere pretty soon. Warm an apple in the oven with a little cinnamon or brown sugar. If you are bar-b-quing over the weekend, you could try to grill peaches. Hope that helps.
  • shreyaj
    shreyaj Posts: 196
    Options
    One snacking habit I've been getting into is making your own 100 cal packs. Whether it be mixed veggies, or veggies chips or nuts and crackers! Portion out and get it zip locks bags..they're also great for on the run:)

I do this too! I portion out snack's in ziplock bags whatever they maybe. I personally only eat veggies with meals I don't usually eat them on the "go" but I if I do it's usually carrot sticks & fat free ranch dressing.
  • jacquejl
    jacquejl Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    My favorite snack doesn't include veggies, but it's filling and delish! Top a triscuit with 1 small slice cheddar cheese and 1 slice strawberry or kiwi. You can get Cabot cheese at WalMart, it's 50% reduced fat and you can't even tell. With this snack you get dairy, fruit and whole grain. I usually eat 3 or 4 for a snack.
  • roxiedo
    roxiedo Posts: 154
    Options

Great Idea! :bigsmile:
  • rexkt
    rexkt Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Another way to get veggies is tzatziki sauce! Super easy to make (i'm Greek so it's a staple for me). You can buy one of the 6oz cups on Dannan plain greek yogurt and add 1/2 tbs of minced garlic, tbs of dill 1/2tbs of squeezed lemon and shred 1/2 of a large cucumber and mix! Takes 2 minutes to make and this usually lasts me a few days. Great for dipping with whole wheat pita bread or veggies and the sauce itself for 2tbs comes in at only 40 calories which will barely make a dent in your day:) If I feel ultra fancy I spread it on skinless grilled chicken for diner or even fish.