Healthy snacks?

Options
I struggle with having adequate healthy snack options. I try to make sure I have plenty of fresh fruits and veggies on hand, but sometimes, i need something crunchy and/or salty. I'm not a big chip eater, unless it's tortilla chips with salsa(medium). I also like dry roasted almonds(Emerald brand). But I sometimes get bored with almonds, carrots and celery, apples and bananas. Any suggestions?

Replies

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    i use almonds and Orville redenbacher's mini bag popcorn ( 100 calories) every nite :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Hummus with pitas, apples and peanut butter, popcorn.
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Roasted Chickpeas
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    rekite2000 wrote: »
    Roasted Chickpeas

want to try that one this weekend...and yeah love hummus too :)

• ejcanavan
    ejcanavan Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I eat wheat thins when I need the carb fix, low sodium. You get 14 for 100'ish calories. My big one is sugar-free jello and I eat some almost daily. Tonight was peach :). It has 10 calories for a cup and pretty much only sodium after that. Kind also makes some great almond bars, forget the exact flavor but it's made with natural sugars.
    Best advice I had when it came to snacks, buy the little ziploc snack bags and measure out what they list as a serving. I do it with my almonds when I throw them in my lunch and eat them late afternoon.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Costco has an edamame trail mix that I really like, but it's so simple it could be easily made at home by roasting edamame, almonds, and miscellaneous seeds and tossing in some craisins.
    Roasted chickpeas are good too.
    And popcorn.

Though not nutritionally dense, a serving of Pirates Booty puffs or Cheeto puffs has a lot of volume for really not that much calories.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I've been on a cashew kick (I especially like them with dried cherries for a simple trail mix like snack), and I've also been wanting to make some baba ganoush. For crunch, radishes, turnips, or kohlrabi, maybe. Also when I'm in that kind of mood sometimes a pickle works.
  • marciebrewer
    marciebrewer Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Pretzels, Wasabi Almonds or Wasabi Peas from Trader Joes!
  • Angie1212mfp
    Options
    I am not a big fan of hummus, it's textural thing for me. Since moving into this apartment, I've yet to get a microwave. I need to get one ASAP, because well, life is much easier with a microwave. I have 2 boxes of mini bags of popcorn and have no way of popping it. I have no idea if I can just empty the contents into a pot and pop it on the stove or not. Not sure if it's safe.
    Another snack I like are grape tomatoes!! and the mozzarella string cheeses (made with 2% milk), occasionally I will combine the cheese stick with a handful of grape maters, and a serving of the lower sodium wheat thins.
    I shop a lot at Aldi, being on a fixed income makes that a necessity; and I love their Fit & Light line of foods. they have cereals, soups, dressings, snacks, frozen foods, etc. I haven't tried any of it that I was unhappy with.
    Thanks ladies for all your input.
  • Mary407
    Mary407 Posts: 635 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Costco individual steam packs of frozen edamame. Just add a little coarse salt after steaming. They're really fast and good.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Define healthy. In my perception, a brownie can be healthy, as can a carrot or apple or cookie.
  • stixwithit
    stixwithit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love having white cheddar rice cake with my homemade salsa a just a little sprinkle of low fat shredded cheese.
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I eat Tootsie Pops when I need something sweet - haha! They last a long time and you get a nice chocolate punch at the end. And they're only 60 calories. I individual packs of Wheat Thins and Pringles. I also really like the peanut butter filled pretzels from Trader Joe's. And popcorn.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Ice cream for me. I usually need calories and fats at the end of the day.
  • sophieelouu
    Options
    Fruit's my thing, but obviously in moderation. Spall teaspoons of cottage cheese keeps me away from the peanut butter jar :)
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I love Trader Joe's individual pack of nuts, their dried fruit, I make super quick crack-like energy balls, chia pudding is a new fav, an open faced sandwich w/ salmon and avocado (really delicious), popcorn (though not very filling), hummus, celery w/ peanut butter and raisins, apple and nuts, cheese and fruit, when its warm out....smoothies, cottage cheese (by itself or with fruit), plain greek yogurt w/ fruit, a slice of bread w/ nut butter.
  • Gracious_Plum
    Gracious_Plum Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am not a big fan of hummus, it's textural thing for me. Since moving into this apartment, I've yet to get a microwave. I need to get one ASAP, because well, life is much easier with a microwave. I have 2 boxes of mini bags of popcorn and have no way of popping it. I have no idea if I can just empty the contents into a pot and pop it on the stove or not. Not sure if it's safe.
    Another snack I like are grape tomatoes!! and the mozzarella string cheeses (made with 2% milk), occasionally I will combine the cheese stick with a handful of grape maters, and a serving of the lower sodium wheat thins.
    I shop a lot at Aldi, being on a fixed income makes that a necessity; and I love their Fit & Light line of foods. they have cereals, soups, dressings, snacks, frozen foods, etc. I haven't tried any of it that I was unhappy with.
    Thanks ladies for all your input.

I've popped microwave popcorn on the hob in the past (I'm also microwaveless). Just make sure you put a lid on first!!! And shake the pan to stop it sticking. When the popping dies down, its ready! ...Now I need to stop at a shop on the way home to satisfy my craving!

Great ideas everyone, my snack choice at the moment is a small amount of olives. It helps to keep the salt cravings away :smile:

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Roasted edamame or wasabi peas are a good crunchy snack and they have protein which can help with satiety.
  • elena66t
    Options
    I had the same trouble and i foud this channel she had alot of healthy ideas hope u like it

http://youtu.be/ddGi1wwAISg

http://youtu.be/VkaVTQXLA90

And u guys can add me.