People need to understand, its not about being thin, its abo

Options
Just have to vent. Beware I may have used improper grammar and I am not a fan of paragraphs when typing on here (for pete's sake its a thread message, not a college english essay! haha)

Yesterday I visited some friends I have not seen in a while. It was the first time they've seen me since I lost this much weight. As usual I got the whole "You look so good! What are you doing?" question, which I don't mind now. Well these ladies have been through the weight loss roller coaster so I felt comfortable getting into a discussion about exercising, nutrition, and all that jazz. During the conversation I had told them the amount of weight I have lost and said that I still have a bit to lose. They looked astounded and immediately I knew I opened a door I shouldn't have. I thus spent the next 10 minutes of the conversation debating with them about my weight loss goals. To add to the "what I shouldn't have saids" I also told them my exact weight numbers (something I have always kept to myself and just recently posted here on MPF in my signature). Yup, another big mistake. That just fueled their "you don't need to lose any more!" comments and arguments. For goodness sakes I am still in well into a double digit pants size so I am not THAT thin! But the thing was their arguments, no matter how good hearted they were meant to be, were very close minded and uneducated. You see I am NOT in this weight loss journey to simply be thin, I am in it to be HEALTHY! I have goals set, goals that I have researched and made sure they were well into the middle range of what my healthy weight, healthy BMI, healthy body fat percentage, and waist size should be. My goal is to end at a weight where if I were to gain back some, I'd still be in the healthy range. I don't think that is too crazy. I know what the lowest weight for my height is and I really don't want to go there, and don't plan to. Also, they don't see me naked. In my clothes I may look thin in the face, arms, and legs but my waist is still my problem area. I have an apple shape and excess abdominal fat - which we all know is not healthy and can lead to various health problems. I have a family history of heart disease, diabetes, and high blood pressure. I also had gestational diabetes while pregnant, so it is EXTREMELY important to me that I get rid of this fat. Sometimes losing weight isn't about being as thin as you can be, its about being as healthy as you can be. Getting thin is a nice bonus, but its not what I am totally striving for. I want a healthy waist measurement. I want to reduce my risk of health problems. I set a goal weight and plan to get there. If I get there I will assess the situation, see where I am at and try to go for more if needed. I gave myself an extended goal weight really just to tell myself that its the lowest I want to be, not where I need to be.

Ok, I just had to get that off my chest. I know there are others out there that have encountered stuff like this. I just needed to vent to my MPF family who understand there is more to weight loss then just how thin you can get. If only the "outside MPF world" knew too, life would be so much easier that way, haha :) Also, I think I will continue to keep my numbers to myself and MPF family until I am completely done, just to avoid future headaches.

Replies

• JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    will come and read later....
  • ashleyh3156
    ashleyh3156 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You go girl!!! And it is none of their d**n business what you need and want to do with your body.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about them. Ignore and move on.
  • Sandikh
    Sandikh Posts: 116
    Options
    Ahhh....No worries my friend. You have your head in the right place. I think a lot of that type of reaction comes from fear and jealousy. As we all know, weight loss and getting healthy is a process.... and not always an easy one. I think that sometimes people are intimidated by others who may have found success in this area. YOU know what is healthy for you and you have set that goal for yourself. Hold your head up high and keep on truckin.....!

Sandi
  • Irene8509
    Irene8509 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Oh I am sure many of the readers on this site can relate to your article. I hadn't even begun my weight loss program when family members began with the "well your not going to be able to get to the weight you were in your twenties" or, "if you don't eat enough you can make yourself ill". Hello isn't that really what I have been doing with food. People who really want whats best for you see your needs first before their own comfort zone. Know that and you can face any uncomfortable situation without feeling guilty.
  • Xandi
    Xandi Posts: 319
    Options
    It is hard for everyone to understand your goals. It is hard for you to explain to them in a way they can understand why you want to get healthy. I think the problem with your friends was the word "DIET". Take that word out and they would get it. Lifestyle change, may be a better word. I don't know. People see, hear, and talk diet, which seems to mean a short term solution to a long term problem. Instead of comprehending that diet is what we eat everyday and getting healthy is just about making better choices.

you know what you want and where your goals are, and I applaud you. Congratulations!
  • ktblueyz
    ktblueyz Posts: 72
    Options
    you know what im a size 6 and everyone tells me i dont need to lose weight but they dont see all the fat I have vs. lack of muscle and how unhealthy i am and my blobby tummy. its not their business if they cant listen to you to hear your goals arent necessarily to be thin, but to be healthy.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    You are right! It's about being healthy and active. And feeling good about yourself. To hell with what anyone else thinks.

I gained so much weight because im at a sit down job and I looked in the mirror and realized i don't like what I see or how I feel. It was throwing me into a depression so I decided to do something about it. Here I am 2 months later and 13 pds lost, and I feel great, even though i'm down half a size :)
  • Angiebug1969
    Angiebug1969 Posts: 152
    Options
    You see I am NOT in this weight loss journey to simply be thin, I am in it to be HEALTHY! I have goals set, goals that I have researched and made sure they were well into the middle range of what my healthy weight, healthy BMI, healthy body fat percentage, and waist size should be. ... I have a family history of heart disease, diabetes, and high blood pressure.

I totally get ya, Girl! I've had this exact same conversation/argument with many friends AND family members. Most of my family are obese (or battle morbid obesity)... heart disease, stroke, sky high cholesterol... you name it, they fight it! So, they look at me & say "you look great... wow, you've lost how much? You don't need to lose anymore weight, are you crazy??" And I can't even begin to make them realize that I'm not trying to be a size 2 (although I really wouldn't MIND it)... I'm trying to get out from underneath the "officially overweight" label! I want to make sure I'm HEALTHY and STRONG, not just for me... but for my hubby & my children, and grandchildren to come!

Okay, well... I'm not trying to vent too, just wanted to stop by & say AMEN SISTA... I HEAR YA! ;)

:flowerforyou: Angie
  • flutterqueen04
    Options
    You see I am NOT in this weight loss journey to simply be thin, I am in it to be HEALTHY! I have goals set, goals that I have researched and made sure they were well into the middle range of what my healthy weight, healthy BMI, healthy body fat percentage, and waist size should be. ... I have a family history of heart disease, diabetes, and high blood pressure.

I totally get ya, Girl! I've had this exact same conversation/argument with many friends AND family members. Most of my family are obese (or battle morbid obesity)... heart disease, stroke, sky high cholesterol... you name it, they fight it! So, they look at me & say "you look great... wow, you've lost how much? You don't need to lose anymore weight, are you crazy??" And I can't even begin to make them realize that I'm not trying to be a size 2 (although I really wouldn't MIND it)... I'm trying to get out from underneath the "officially overweight" label! I want to make sure I'm HEALTHY and STRONG, not just for me... but for my hubby & my children, and grandchildren to come!

Okay, well... I'm not trying to vent too, just wanted to stop by & say AMEN SISTA... I HEAR YA! ;)

:flowerforyou: Angie

Haha! Yes exactly!! I didn't add this up there but they got on me because I brought up still being in the overweight category of BMI and they said BMI is nothing, its flawed. Well ya, maybe somewhat but still to not be labeled "overweight" even if it is flawed, would be nice. Even if I was stopping now, I am a few pounds away from that, why NOT try?! And like you said, I am not striving for a size 2! I am not even adamant about losing enough belly fat to have a six pack! (well I don't plan for the six pack but do plan to assess where I am and if its feasible when I reach goal weight I will go for it, because, again, why NOT try?! haha)