Protein for Vegetarians

Options
ibellazzack
ibellazzack Posts: 3 Member
edited January 2015 in Recipes
i just started this today and as I marked everything I ate down I was surprised to see my finished amount of calories for today was 899, I definitely need to throw in an actual meal with a lot of protein to get to minimum 1000! Anyone have any good ideas? Small portions please, I get full very easy! Also no meat, poultry, or fish. Thanks in advance!:)

Replies

• bumblesaurus11
    Options
    I eat cottage cheese with mandarin oranges or pineapple. There is a ton of protein in cottage cheese and no carbs.
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Tofu/ chickpeas/lentils/ there's so much protein in a vege diet. Have you not been a veggie very long? Have fun! The happy herbivore seems to be a good site.
  • KaylaBlu2019
    KaylaBlu2019 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    When I was a vegetarian, I really wished I had found a great vegan protein powder. Although there are so many protein options on a veggie diet, it's so easy to miss out on vitamins and nutrients. I wish I would have found one that I liked because I think I would have been a more energetic vegetarian!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Tempeh is another good source of protein, along with those already mentioned, as are eggs. Also, if you're only eating 1000 calories a day you need to increase that, unless you are very short.
  • ibellazzack
    ibellazzack Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Tofu/ chickpeas/lentils/ there's so much protein in a vege diet. Have you not been a veggie very long? Have fun! The happy herbivore seems to be a good site.
    I've actually been a veghead for over a year and a half but I just wanted to emphasize protein in any meals someone might suggest

Thanks for all of your help everyone!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    This, and if you have a good local organic market ask them to carry BLACK soybeans in a can. They are nutty (and can be used in anything and everything) and have an amazing protein/fiber/carb profile. Better than any bean I've seen.
  • Swampdaisy
    Swampdaisy Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I am often seeking protein sources in my vegetarian diet too, and along with foods mentioned in previous posts -- eggs, tofu, cottage cheese, beans, protein powder -- I rely on Greek yogurt and soymilk.
  • Jaysus_The_Jay
    Jaysus_The_Jay Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've been a veggie for over 5 years, and I get mine from:

Quinoa
    Quorn
    Peanut Butter
    Cottage cheese
    Greek Yoghurt
    Spinach
    Tofu
    Chickpeas
    Beans
  • jennstan13
    jennstan13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A great cookbook with tons of variety is called Bean by Bean. We cook out of it multiple times a week. I love it, it has lots of vegetarian recipes and just really good food. Most recipes are 300 or so calories a serving.
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Most vegetarian nutritionists will tell you that getting enough protein is not an issue as long as you are taking in enough calories. For those of us on weight loss low cal diets, it doesn't hurt to eat things like quinoa, tofu, tempeh, seitan, beans/grains, a couple times a day. Even a glass or two of soymilk will give you a good amount of protein. But almost every food has some protein in it. Are you trying to gain or lose weight?