"meat sweats". is this really a thing??!?

Options
bkerr30
bkerr30 Posts: 131 Member
I don't eat a lot of red meat but had beef the other night and the next day at the gym was wayyy sweatier and more red faced than usual. My husband laughed but said that its common and definitely "a thing". Thoughts?

Replies

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it.

Never heard of it either.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    We eat a vegan diet at home but this weekend my daughter went to a Girl Scout function where she ate hot dogs, bacon, and, sausage. She came home incredibly ill, and had rotten egg smelling burps, and spent a pretty good time with cold sweats hovered over the toilet. No one else got sick, so it wasn't food poisoning. She just couldn't digest it. Do those qualify as meat sweats? I think she will stay away from meat for a while.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it either, and all I eat is meat.

Did you eat something other than meat before working out? Were you sick, or nauseated at any time during the day? Were you wearing something heavier to retain more heat than usual?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Not in the way you're talking about it.
  • decblessings
    decblessings Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    The only time I've heard of that is from Joey on Friends. "Uh oh... here come the meat sweats!"
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

This for me lol
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

These are the good kind, though.

No, OP. Never heard of that.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    In my world - the meat sweats = the act of sweating while eating meat.

Never heard of your definition before
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have an ex friend who would consume MASSIVE amounts of meet in one sitting (sometimes coupled with other things)..I mean like 44 oz prime rib, etc..ewww! About 30 minutes after completing his meal he would get really sweaty and very red in the face, and it would last for about an hour or so. So based on my experience I would say, yes they exist and I believe it has something to do with how your body works/acts to break the meat down.
  • GeeWillickers
    GeeWillickers Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Not a thing. If you eat a lot of meat at once it does have a higher TEF which may be noticeable but digestion doesn't take place a day after eating unless you have digestion problems.
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    We eat a vegan diet at home but this weekend my daughter went to a Girl Scout function where she ate hot dogs, bacon, and, sausage. She came home incredibly ill, and had rotten egg smelling burps, and spent a pretty good time with cold sweats hovered over the toilet. No one else got sick, so it wasn't food poisoning. She just couldn't digest it. Do those qualify as meat sweats? I think she will stay away from meat for a while.

It was more likely the nitrates that caused issues not the meat itself.
  • WhoWasGivenToFly
    WhoWasGivenToFly Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    yes, if I eat beef I will wake up in the middle of the night in a sweat as my body tries to digest it, only happens when I eat beef.
  • slittle80
    slittle80 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Meat sweats is a real thing, but not really in the manner you experienced them. Main reason being that protein has more than twice the thermogenic effect of fat or carbohydrates because it works harder to break it down. So you'll sweat (and possibly get the tingles from the excess beta alanine) as your body breaks down and digests the food.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Not a thing. If you eat a lot of meat at once it does have a higher TEF which may be noticeable but digestion doesn't take place a day after eating unless you have digestion problems.

It was more likely the nitrates that caused issues not the meat itself.

Possibly.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    BF and I go to all you can eat meat brazillian steak house at least once a month- and I never go home and get red and sweaty.

well- scratch that- sometimes I do- but it's not from the meat... giggity.

sudden changes in your diet like that will make you sick. If she doesn't regularly eat meat- you can't just toss a bunch at her and expect the body to handle it.

nothing wrong with her- other than she's eating a vegan diet
    nothing wrong with the meats she ate.

I wouldn't jump to blaming the food- it's the diet you fed her and the sudden addition of completely strange foods.
  • bkerr30
    Options
    Thanks for all the input peeps.
  • bkerr30
    Options
    Like I said I don't eat a lot of red meat so I was unclear about if this could happen lol
  • bkerr30
    Options

I was vegetarian for years and had the same experience the first few times I ate meat. Poor kiddo, I feel for her, its not fun!
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    That's what we call it when we go to a Brazilian steakhouse for the parade of meat. My brother and husband get so full they start to sweat. But it's probably from being so full, and it goes away pretty quickly.