Cheat meals

Options
Hey all, last night i completely binged on anything calorific (doughnuts, ben n jerry and heaps of cadburys chocolate) I'm wondering does anyone have any particular ways in dealing with how you feel the day after? For example I tend to miss the following meal and eat only when I feel hungry again, to give time for my body to digest the extra calories.

Replies

• tdoyle222
    tdoyle222 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just get really mad at myself and wonder why I sabotaged myself. I'm starving the next day usually n crave sugar n comfort foods all over again!not good. Jump back on wagon!! Mind over matter! Don't let self cave to cravings!
  • wild1990
    wild1990 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I totally understand, mind of matter is key. I am usually fine for 7-10 days without cheat meal, however once i have one, i cant stop haha! Just keep thinking tomorrow is a new day :)
  • faberallison
    faberallison Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I feel horribly after I have too many greasy or sugary foods. I still eat them in moderation, but that almost hungover feeling after a binge has luckily prevented one. Just work those foods into your normal diet. Then there would be no need for a cheat day/binge.
  • willyboff
    Options
    Haha that's the trouble with cheat meals,as soon as you have one it's so hard to stop. I've managed to cut out my binges by incorporating them (small amounts) during week. As said above
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I just go to the gym the following day and get back to eating correctly. I don't let it bother me. I feel like if I deviated from my normal routine on a second day, I'm more likely to make not-so-great-food choices again.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,425 Member
    Options
    Yesterday is over so just move on. The day after a splurge (either planned or not) I get a good workout in, drink extra water and really concentrate on eating healthier. Don't deprive yourself of all the "bad" stuff, just plan for it and work it into your day so you don't set yourself up for those binges. (and I don't think anything is "bad" just not as healthy for you and if there are too many calories in it it crowds out room for the nutritious stuff)
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I think as long as it's done because you really aren't hungry and not as a way of punishing yourself... there is nothing wrong with your approach (to the OP). I often will feel bloated and full in the morning after a really overdone dinner. And I will skip breakfast. It's not done to punish myself or to try to "make up" for the deficit I totally wiped out the night before… it's simply because I don't feel great and don't want to eat. And then I just get back on track for lunch and dinner.
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I just work out after or the day after and go back to my regular calorie intake. I'll kick myself for it, but might as well move on!
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem Sunday on date night with my husband. We can't go to Chili's without the chips and salsa, love them. Then after the meal my neighbor is the manager and gave us a free desert to share. Well, after I got home and logged everything in feeling quite miserable, I realized it's ok to say no thank you to a free desert. Most of the time I think, only eat it if it's really worth it, if it's just an ok cookie, forget it. If it's really worth the extra calories, maybe. Not having so many temptations around is better for me though. The next day I wasn't hungry until the afternoon, so I had tea at breakfast and a small salad for lunch and a normal dinner. Logging it in weather it's a good choice or not, helps me make a better choice the next time also. Also don't totally deprive or you will go crazy binging one day.
  • wild1990
    wild1990 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    great feedback guys, really appreciate the responses and comments
  • chantyc1
    chantyc1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Once I eat something I shouldn't, I crave sugar and carbs, I must open my fridge at least 5 times and close it only to eventually give in. Then I have no energy the next day and takes at least 2 days to get back on teack
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The best advice I was given is to just move on and go back to my normal deficit the next day. Trying to make up for it is just setting myself up for another binge.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I just log it (mostly) and then move on. I just weigh myself as usual the next day, go back to my normal calories, normal activity and carry on. I don't compensate by missing meals (it would make me hungrier later in the day and set me up for more overeating) or exercising more or cutting back on calories unless I'm really not hungry. My weight settles down after a few days of my normal routine. It's mostly water any way.

Oh, and I work really hard not to feel the guilt. I'm getting there but it takes practice. I'm human, and sometimes I just really want a (large) handful of chocolate-covered almonds followed by a chocolate Santa chaser. I tell myself that guilt is an unhelpful emotion. Better to channel that energy into something more useful.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Do not skip meals after as it will create further imbalance causing more longings. Go back to your normal routine the next morning. If you wish, do some extra exercise.