Veggie based juices/smoothies

Options
Hey guys! I went through a phase of having a smoothie every morning for breakfast and I've just started to get back into it, only I'm reading that they might actually be bad for you due to the sugar content.. eg. my smoothie for breakfast tomorrow is banana strawberry and frozen mango blended with water. Can this really be bad for me? I've mainly only used fruit so I was wondering if anyone had any recipies for ones that contain veg to bring the sugar content down they could share? Honestly the idea of blending veg does not appeal to me but enough people do it so I'm sure there are some that are really nice.

Replies

• burgundeejones
    burgundeejones Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My fave smoothie is cucumber, cilantro or parsley, spinach or kale, aloe juice, spring water and spirulina powder. Until you get used to the deep green taste I would blend it with a pear or add some apple juice until your taste buds adjust.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,958 Member
    Options
    Some can be a sugar bomb depending on your ingredients. Personally I'd rather eat whole foods, but I'm funny that way.
  • suzihbe
    suzihbe Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love green juices. I think the best green veggie to introduce is a cucumber and build from there. Cucumber has a mild, refreshing taste in any juice.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I just haven't been able to stomach a veggie smoothie first thing in the morning. I DO use low sugar fruit. Mainly blueberries. Berries are your friends as the doctor at my recent physical just told me as my glucose is a tad high. I make my smoothie with homemade kefir using reduced fat organic milk, blueberries/strawberries, and maybe a few pieces of pineapple or a bit of apple. I'll sneak in a few frozen kale cubes or frozen broccoli. I stay away from pretty much any orange fruit (mango, papaya, peach). If we have whole oranges I may use one, but thats rare.

I can do veggie smoothies with dinner. I really don't like eating my veggies, I have a blendtec blender for whole veggie smoothie. I love them that way with a nice sized piece of ginger.