Discouraged Early on.....HELP!

Options
I'm looking for ANY input! I've been doing this program for a little over a week now. I "had" a very positive attitude, felt very good about myself, went from NO exercising to exercising 20 minutes a day (average) and staying under my calorie goal each day... drink the water like I'm suppose to.
I step on the scales this morning and it said I've gained almost 2 pounds!!!! :( I don't get it! It's hard not to give up. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Replies

• foreverinhishands26
    Options
    Same thing with me I loose and gain and am trying to stay motivated would you want to work together maybe we can encourage each other
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I also gained 2 lbs after the first week. In my case it was just water weight, since i changed my diet and started to exercise. Just be patient and double check that you're tracking your intake accurately.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I almost always gain the first week or two of a new workout routine. Don't let it get to you, just keep up the good work and it will start to come off. Muscles will retain water after working out and it will take a little time for your body to get used to the changes. It's not all about the scale, try measurements and before/after photos as well. Many times you can see improvements in inches and visuals before you see them on the scale. It's just a number, don't let it halt your progress to a healthier you!
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    annam3627 wrote: »
    I'm looking for ANY input! I've been doing this program for a little over a week now. I "had" a very positive attitude, felt very good about myself, went from NO exercising to exercising 20 minutes a day (average) and staying under my calorie goal each day... drink the water like I'm suppose to.
    I step on the scales this morning and it said I've gained almost 2 pounds!!!! :( I don't get it! It's hard not to give up. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

• annam3627
    annam3627 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't want to get discouraged! Because I do FEEL BETTER! I know the scale is evil, lol... and thankfully, I did take measurements from the beginning. I feel it, so I've lost something, somewhere! I will check the measurements later today... I will inform later. I'm just trying to stay positive. Thank you all for your words of encouragement!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    It's water weight. When you start using your muscles in ways you haven't in a long time they become inflamed. It's completely normal and you'll lose it in a few days. Don't worry about it.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    OK--be very carefull weighing and measuring your food. This is crucial. If you don't have a food scale get one. Another thing, measure yourself--hips, waist, stomach, thighs etc, and remeasure yourself about once a week or once a month. Many times you will lose in measurements while weighing the same. Weight loss takes time and patience. Even if you're doing everthing right you may stay the same for awhile and then alot comes off at once. Give it time, and don't give up. Best of luck. :)
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for awhile, I work out almost everyday. I will see a 2-3 lb weight gain after a hard work out, it's water, the muscles "guard" and the body pads itself because it thinks it's being stressed. Drink lots of water, it will drop.
  • Jennifer10723
    Jennifer10723 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    The body is a strange strange thing. lol Just keep plugging along .. the days will pass anyway .. make em healthy days!!! Exercise always makes me gain the first week or so. I just "gained" 4.5 pounds because of TOM.. so .. there is that. lol You got this!
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    The really cool thing is that your next weigh in, if you maintain your calorie deficit and exercising, will be awesome! It will be the highest weight loss for a week that you'll see during your journey but it will be so motivating. I dropped 5 pounds my first week and it really kicked my a** into gear! Something else that really motivates me is charting my progress. When I can look at the chart and see the downward trend, no matter how slowly it's moving, it reminds me that there IS an end in sight.
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    The same thing is happening to me. This is my second week, I weighed myself this morning and I gained 2lbs in 2 days. Its upsetting because I know I'm eating less, I'm very conscience of my CiCo, I weigh everything I eat and log it, yet still not losing how I expected. I keep coming on here to read post and get motivated because I tend to give up if I dont see immediate results, but this time I have told myself I will keep going no matter what the scale saids and I know eventually the results will catch up to my actions. We didnt gain weight overnight, so we cant expect to lose it overnight. Take it one day at a time. Good Luck. Feel free to add me for support and motivation.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    You can track measurements and bodyfat and whatever you want in MFP as well. Weight is the easiest to measure but the least useful, IMO.
  • LuisaMc847
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    It's water weight. When you start using your muscles in ways you haven't in a long time they become inflamed. It's completely normal and you'll lose it in a few days. Don't worry about it.
    I agree ! I'm in a low calorie diet and I've been jogging and doing Zumba for the past 2 weeks and I've only lost 0.9 lbs! I do believe it has to be water weight , I can see my waist getting smaller and the clothes fit a lot better , but not very much progress on the scale
  • megia3
    megia3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem yesterday, but decided it must be water weight. I limited my sodium intake to 1500mg, and increased my potassium to around 3500mg. When I stepped on the scale, I had a 4.4 pound loss overnight!!! I'm doing this again today and tomorrow, because my research showed that I ate way to much sodium last week. Keeping the food diary really helped me to figure out that this was a problem for me.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm getting better but my mood was often dictated by the scale. And it was so unfair! I would have had a "good" week and the scale would betray me. I try not to let my weight that day dictate my mood, especially if I have made some great life-changes. Those changes will show up...in time.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/setting-goals-715717
  • cookiebaby2010
    cookiebaby2010 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's probably water. Also watch your sodium intake-you may want to drop it down. Are you weighing every day? Some like to do that, but for me, because there is so much fluctuation each day, I only weigh once a week. Otherwise it can be discouraging! Sounds like you are on the right track though. Keep up the good work! It will show up on the scale!
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Interesting, I personally have been having high sodium numbers since day 1. So I have changed certain foods and yesterday for the first time was below on sodium. Hopefully I can keep track of that going forward.
  • Mauigirl62
    Options
    If you are eating any processed foods try to cut them out and eat whole foods instead. For instance Eggbeaters have almost 500 mg. of sodium but real eggs not much at all. Sodium can contribute to water weight gain.
  • annam3627
    annam3627 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks again to everyone for your thoughts! The positive comments are a motivation on its own! I'm NOT giving up! I can feel the difference, even though the scale says differently. There's so much Sodium in EVERYTHING! I don't even like salt (to add to food)... I'll keep a closer eye on that.
    Feel free to add me to your "friends list"...I need all the help I can get! ☺
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Please give out time. Patience is important.