Question about appetite

Options
Hi fellow MFP'ers.

This week I made goal :smile: I have been on the 1200 calorie a day plan and it worked great for me. I was never hungry and always felt satisfied with my allotment of 1200. Well, that was until the last 2 weeks. I am moving to maintain. I guess the question I am asking is, why is it that the leaner I am , the more hungry I feel?

Replies

• kbeatty1015
    kbeatty1015 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Bump! I had been doing really well-- not hungry at all. Now it seems like I've hit hunger mode! Even with my 1200 calories, some nights I'm just starving.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on making your goal! I hope to be there someday. :)

Just a thought, kind of stabbing in the dark, but I wonder if it's your proportion of muscle mass? Maybe the more you have, the more your body is telling you to feed it? And/or: you're at goal and your body knows it, so it's saying "ok, time for maintenance, add calories please"?

TOTALLY guessing here.
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    You have increased your metabolism and that is why you are hungrier. I know when I first started, I could barely eat my 1200 calories but the more active you are, the more food you need to energize yourself. If you don't already, try eating 3 smaller meals and at least 2-3 snacks which keeps you from starving. Also eat lots of protein for energy and fiber because it takes longer to digest and keeps you fuller longer. Good luck to you:)
  • bobbie1984
    bobbie1984 Posts: 3
    Options
    i totally understand what your saying cause ive been on a diet since feb 14th and now for the past two weeks ive been like dieing cause im sooooo hungry all the time. Luckily ive managed to lose 3lbs still and not go back up but ya i know where ur comming from and wish i knew why as well!!
  • Kirstie_C26
    Kirstie_C26 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    have u switched ur goal to maintenance mode? bcos i think if u do that, u may be given more cals....congrats on reaching goal :) well done xxxx
  • kdao
    kdao Posts: 265
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone. You all make some very good points and confirmed what I was thinking too. Thank goodness for maintain. LOL. It came just in the time I needed it.
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I was JUST reading something about this in my endocrinologist's office this morning. In Discover Magazine there as an article about the hormone gherlin, which is related to hunger, and how the thinner people are the more they secrete gherlin, or some such. I didn't have time to read the whole thing - but it's interesting to look into. I have to go back to the office next week and I'll get the issue and article name/authors if anyone's interested.
  • kdao
    Options
    I was JUST reading something about this in my endocrinologist's office this morning. In Discover Magazine there as an article about the hormone gherlin, which is related to hunger, and how the thinner people are the more they secrete gherlin, or some such. I didn't have time to read the whole thing - but it's interesting to look into. I have to go back to the office next week and I'll get the issue and article name/authors if anyone's interested.

Wow, sounds like a great article! I would be really interested in the article if you remember :flowerforyou:
  • CrystalS
    CrystalS Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    No advise here, but I wanted to say - GREAT JOB - on reaching your goal weight. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Maybe there's hope for me. :tongue:
  • kdao
    Options
    No advise here, but I wanted to say - GREAT JOB - on reaching your goal weight. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Maybe there's hope for me. :tongue:

Crystal, you are doing fantastic! Thanks for your kind words! :smile: