Newbie and struggling

Options
Hi been using MFP for just over 2 and a half weeks. Started really well....first week lost 5lb....since then nothing. My plan is set on a frightening and frankly unsustainable 1200 calories a day! Have been exercising every day to get extra calories but nothing seems to be shifting since that initial loss? Any thoughts or advice?

Replies

• lizarddev
    lizarddev Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    IT takes time and it will come off. Just hang in there and stay positive and focused on your goals. The first 5 to 10 lbs are usually water and then its all about eating and exercises. Keep your head up and hang in there.
  • Midwifefatty
    Midwifefatty Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response! It just seems impossible to stick to 1200 calories a day!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Lots of thoughts, actually. Up your calories to 1500 and eat back your exercise calories. Be patient, because you have shocked your body with the diet and exercise. Exercise can cause your muscles to retain water to repair, showing no loss on the scale...

Many more things. Go to the community boards and read the sticky threads, especially the "sexypants" one. Can't remember the whole name.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is awfully restrictive. I found weight loss and the change in lifestyle to be MUCH more sustainable when I upped calories.
    What is your weight loss goal set to/how many pounds per week?
  • Midwifefatty
    Options
    Really? You think I should eat more?
  • gsarro
    gsarro Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I found 1200 calories is a very hard goal. If you can up it to 1500 and keep it there it seems to be a bit more manageable. That is what I did and I come away with not eating all calories and even saving my exercise calories. 1200 is not usually recommended from everything that I have read. Your body may think you are starving it and therefore it won't drop. Hope this helps just remember it won't happen overnight.
  • crypsyx
    crypsyx Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    how many calories were you consuming before restricting yourself to 1200? if you aren't getting enough calories your body goes into "starvation mode." severely restricting your calories prevents the body from burning away fat and it slows down weight loss because it's the body's self defense mechanism.

• abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely go higher, and set a lower total loss per week. If you are set at say 3 pounds a week, try 2 pounds a week. Will be easier on yourself in the long run.
  • Midwifefatty
    Options
    Ok. I just went with the amount if the app came up with when I entered my details, but I can see what your all saying. Thanks x
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    yeah definitely up your calories - i eat 1800 a day and lose weight. Rather than focusing on the low 1200 that MFP gives go to iifym.com/calculators. Input your height and weight and how often you exercise and it will give you your TDEE amount - then deduct 500 from that and you eat that amount everyday and lose weight without eating back your exercise calories.
    -
    - Most importantly though, stick with it and keep on your healthy path. Good luck
  • dlvuyovich
    dlvuyovich Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Plateaus happen to all of us. Lizarddev is right about the first 5-10 lbs.

One option: Look at your macros (proteins/carbs/fats) in the foods you are eating and see if you can get more calories from the protein rich foods and increase those portions.

If you are exercising, depending on intensity, you will need more than the 1200 calories, which is typically the minimum calories one needs w/o exercise.

Put the scale away for a while and see how you are feeling in general (probably better) and how your clothes are fitting (probably better).

Don't stress yourself out about this, give it time. Slow and steady wins the race.

Good luck and don't give up!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Hi been using MFP for just over 2 and a half weeks. Started really well....first week lost 5lb....since then nothing. My plan is set on a frightening and frankly unsustainable 1200 calories a day! Have been exercising every day to get extra calories but nothing seems to be shifting since that initial loss? Any thoughts or advice?

Help with TDEE: I use it as well and it's a life changer. I'm actually working my way UP to the proper calorie level and figuring out how to add the calories the right way. Should be there in a month or so.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • Kevvboy
    Kevvboy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Also, MFP overestimates the amount of calories you expend with exercise. I subtract 33 percent from the calories MFP says I burned, and I find that number to be closer to accurate. It depends what kind of exercise youre doing. But I agree with everyone who says eat a bit more, then maybe up your exercise intensity gradually. Dont starve - eat and exercise your way to a healthy body. You can do this!
  • Midwifefatty
    Options
    Wow am overwhelmed by the support and quick replies. Thanks so much everyone. X
  • irlaplante
    irlaplante Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try having low calorie snacks in between meals. This may help boost your metabolism. Check out different type of workouts. U tube has many videos that you may like. Be patient the pounds will eventualy come off.
  • top_mom
    top_mom Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am also on 1200 a day but will be upping slightly. It is very difficult to stay in that range.. feel free to add me as a friend for some company along the journey!
  • bgtoepfer
    Options
    One of the hardest things for me to do was to stop using the scale as my only means of measuring my success. Use the measuring tape too! During my fitness journey I have also learned that I had to adjust the goals that MFP set for me. Their calorie plan was too carb heavy; they set my carb/protein/fat ratio at 45/35/20. So, I adjusted mine to 35/45/20 (carb/protein/fat). If you feel that 1200 calories is too low for you while you're exercising, increase your calories by 100-200. And do not eat back your exercise calories. Try it for a couple of weeks and see if that helps. You may have to "tweak" your diet to find out what works for you. As you lose weight and build muscle through exercise you'll have to "tweak" again and again. ;)
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    bgtoepfer wrote: »
    One of the hardest things for me to do was to stop using the scale as my only means of measuring my success. Use the measuring tape too! During my fitness journey I have also learned that I had to adjust the goals that MFP set for me. Their calorie plan was too carb heavy; they set my carb/protein/fat ratio at 45/35/20. So, I adjusted mine to 35/45/20 (carb/protein/fat). If you feel that 1200 calories is too low for you while you're exercising, increase your calories by 100-200. And do not eat back your exercise calories. Try it for a couple of weeks and see if that helps. You may have to "tweak" your diet to find out what works for you. As you lose weight and build muscle through exercise you'll have to "tweak" again and again. ;)

tumblr_m5fkxtOYFz1rvtyzwo2_500.gif

Yes, this...with one minor change that is highly individualized-and that is that if I feel super hungry and I feel I need it, I eat back exercise calories. Sometimes it's all of them, sometimes it's none, sometimes it's part of them...it all has to do with how I feel.
    Yesterday even after eating back some of the calories, I had a deficit >800 calories (12.2 miles of running does that)...marathon training is a killer and depending how strenuous your exercise is, you may need to eat some of them back...
    But yes-once I started viewing calories as fuel and not as the enemy, I could eat when I was hungry or needed fuel (for long runs) or not eat when I wasn't. The weight took care of itself and I've been maintaining 135-140 for a long time which is just fine for me/my average.
  • angelnorgaard
    angelnorgaard Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I actually went Primal/Paleo and it has been the most wonderfully tasting diet <<< if that's what you want to call it>>> I have ever tried out, I find it easy to stick to, even though I slip up often I think it's for the best... MFP has me at 1257 cal but on a regular basis I often go over and my macros are never perfect yet I still loose a little every week. I rest my goal every 10lbs but I went from 156 in Nov to 143.6 this am... with little effort.. ( I did not practice paleo lifestyle in Dec.. its was to hard and Im still new to it).. Don't give up. Increase your calories ( check what your calories should be with the scooby calorie calc.) and find what works for you.
  • itstimeRK
    itstimeRK Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I use a fitness band to get a better estimate of my exercise. I have used a Fitbit in the past and now I am using the UP by Jawbone. Before I used the fitness bands, I was struggling to lose weight too. I am on a 1200 calorie diet, use my fitness band to track my exercise and inactive calories burned during the day, and now I have lost 14 lbs in just a few weeks. It's easier to know what your activity level is than to guess what it is. Hope this helps!