Calorie deficit question: is it a weekly or daily deficit?

Options
I'm curious about calorie deficit. I'm wondering if for some reason I eat over my calories for the day, say for a birthday dinner, but at the end of the week I'm still at a deficit, how does that affect weight loss? Does it? And then if you have a certain amount of calories for maintenance, but then exercise, but don't eat back your calories then is that still a deficit - even if you had that birthday dinner? Can someone simply explain this to me I don't know why I can't wrap my brain around this, I feel like there is a simple answer and I'm just missing it. I mean, of course deficit is deficit but I don't have a clear understanding of loading up on calories for a certain day/occasion and how that affects your weight.

Replies

• SallyJones1985
    SallyJones1985 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The daily/weekly thing is personal preference. Some rather 'save' calories through the week for a special night out or whatever, some prefer to just go day by day. The whole exercise and eating back calories tbh I don't really get either, I tend to stick to eating half back in case it's over estimated (unless I've over eaten and will exercise until my net is back in the green and be happy lol)
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about calorie deficit. I'm wondering if for some reason I eat over my calories for the day, say for a birthday dinner, but at the end of the week I'm still at a deficit, how does that affect weight loss? Does it? And then if you have a certain amount of calories for maintenance, but then exercise, but don't eat back your calories then is that still a deficit - even if you had that birthday dinner? Can someone simply explain this to me I don't know why I can't wrap my brain around this, I feel like there is a simple answer and I'm just missing it. I mean, of course deficit is deficit but I don't have a clear understanding of loading up on calories for a certain day/occasion and how that affects your weight.

You said it :) You're looking for the overall trend. If you do have certain days over, your weight may fluctuate a little back upwards the next day, but if you have an overall deficit for the week, the scales will show this. My weight tends to go up a little after the weekend as i indulge in a few 'holy crap i survived the work week' drinks, but then soon goes back downwards after a few days. It's totally normal, even if you eat the same calories each day, to fluctuate up or down due to water retention, time of month, etc. So if you do save up calories for special occasions, don't let any short term spikes concern you - keep that overall deficit going and you'll be fine.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I look at the deficit as a weekly average, for exactly the reason you state--birthday feast, special dinner out, wanting an extra treat one night, etc. I *try* not to have an official weigh-in day the morning after such a night, though, as the scale will likely show bloating/over-indulgence/extra food in belly as a temporary gain (give it a couple days).

But other than that, many of us "save up" for such weekly treats, and weight loss in the long run is unaffected.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Long term, it's all about the average. With the caveat that if you really go over on one day, it kind of sucks having to seriously undereat on multiple days. But a few hundred over one day is easy enough to make up the rest of the week, either with extra exercise or a bit fewer calories.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    weekly for overall success
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It's really all personal preference on how you want to view things. That said, there's no magic "reset" button that sets your calorie burns/consumption back to zero at midnight each day. You're always burning calories.

I wouldn't take it to extremes but there's certainly nothing wrong with going over one day and then eating a few less calories each of the next few days to compensate. Or knowing you have a big day coming up on Saturday so eating a little less on the weekdays leading up and on Sunday to allow yourself to indulge. There's also nothing wrong with enjoying yourself on that Saturday and eating your usual calories those other days, either. One day of eating an extra 500 calories is not going to wreak too much havoc as long as you go back to eating normally the next day. This isn't a sprint, there's no real finish line for weight loss. Special occasions happen and you should let yourself enjoy them.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter.

Just burn more than you eat.

If you want to do it daily, fine, if weekly - have at it. Just burn more than you eat and the net difference is your weight lost. The bigger the net difference over time, the more weight list during that time.

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Both. You require a daily or almost daily deficit to accumulate a weekly deficit. It's your choice as to which you'd prefer paying most attention to, but chances are if you completely ignore your daily deficit you will have a hard time getting your weekly deficit goals met. I look to weekly deficits if I undereat by a significant amount one day or will be doing a special meal (e.g. birthdays) one day and would like to "save" some calories for that day.
  • MalaikaInJapan
    MalaikaInJapan Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    One day per week I allow myself to eat a reasonable amount over my calorie allotment. One meal per week is also whatever I'd like (if it's burger and fries I will order a small and eat it on the day that we go for a 2 hour hike). For most people the weekly calorie thing is fine. For others, their bodies more slowly metabolize food so sticking to a daily calorie deficit is important. For me it's week. HOWEVER! Something valuable that I have learned is that the math is all theoretical. It's not real. It's not a guarantee. Just because we log our calories and move and all of the math works out in the page DOES NOT mean that we are ACTUALLY going to lose weight. There have been weeks where mathematically I should have lost weight and I did not. If you know you have a "big food" day coming up, try to fit in exercise that morning or the night before so that your body is prepared to deal with more calories than usual and will burn them up!
  • Shastabaldi
    Shastabaldi Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone!