How are earth do you slim the HIPS!?

Options
Does anyone have a good workout for targeting and slimming the hips?
I already do squats and lunges but the inches stay the same.

Thanks for any suggestions :)

Replies

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Swimming and running have kept my saddlebags at bay. I have fairly wide hips, but look much slimmer without the extra.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I ate a calorie deficit while lifting heavy and lost 5 inches from mine. Can't spot reduce.
  • bingfit221
    bingfit221 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I ate a calorie deficit while lifting heavy and lost 5 inches from mine. Can't spot reduce.

Yep can't spot reduce. Gotta burn some calories to get it off.

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce, unfortunately. I'd try heavy lifting though.
  • isa474
    isa474 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting in reducing only bulks you up. You would want to do side leg lifts to try to slim it down and if you use weights light enough where you can do at least 25 reps that's what will help you burn some fat. And of course healthy eating
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    isa474 wrote: »
    Heavy lifting in reducing only bulks you up. You would want to do side leg lifts to try to slim it down and if you use weights light enough where you can do at least 25 reps that's what will help you burn some fat. And of course healthy eating

No, it does not. That's a myth. It is extremely difficult for women to build muscle because we do not produce enough testosterone.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

Basically, the opposite of what this poster says.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Nope. Eat in a calorie deficit and lift heavy to retain your muscle. You won't build it if you're eating less than you burn.
  • hmcbride68
    hmcbride68 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    In addition, high rep sets create a fluid pump which adds size. Over a period of time, this type of training increases capillary flow, and the muscles receive a more constant high volume of blood. Basically, it swells the muscles. Body builders employ a higher rep set scheme where size is important as well as raw strength. Do 25 reps of anything, and whatever muscles that exercise is using will NOT get smaller
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    If you're at a healthy weight, you may just have broad and curvy hips. Ask me how I know.

Squats, lunges, and lots of time on my recumbent bike have greatly improved the appearance of my still-broad-and-curvy hips.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    ive always had narrow hips but i have found stairs and running make them even slimmer.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    For me running has slimed my hips though it was not intentional, I just started running to add that as an option for staying active. I honestly try not to run because of this, with no boobs I really need my hips.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Pilates. Yoga.
  • ozzyantoinette
    ozzyantoinette Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Belly dancing is fun and good for it I have lost inches from my hips
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Disagree. Bulking happens on calorie surpluses not deficits. Side leg lifts work the abductors, but working them directly doesn't slim them down.
    Slimming down comes from calorie deficit, not trying to spot exercise the area.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Disagree. Bulking happens on calorie surpluses not deficits. Side leg lifts work the abductors, but working them directly doesn't slim them down.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

@ninerbuff So let me see if I'm clear on this: Fluid pump, referenced by another poster, is just temporary, right? I ask because I am currently doing a lot of reps with smaller weights and bodyweight workouts, but I'm trying to lose weight and inches.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Die and come back as someone with narrow hips. Seriously, that's all I got. I think if you tried to put a dress on my skeleton, the smallest you would be able to zip over my hipbones is a 6. Some of us are just born with bigger hips than others. It just is, but it's not a bad thing - look at Beyonce. At least you can shake your groove thang and mean it!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

@ninerbuff So let me see if I'm clear on this: Fluid pump, referenced by another poster, is just temporary, right? I ask because I am currently doing a lot of reps with smaller weights and bodyweight workouts, but I'm trying to lose weight and inches.
    When you work out a specific area (say biceps for instance), they get "pumped up" from all the blood being forced in the area. This is temporary and subsides after the workout.
    Doing low weights with lots of reps builds muscular endurance. Again weight loss comes down to consistency with deficit.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    okay well just in case OP doesn't have the desire or resources to embark on a heavy lifting plan (some people here forget that not everyone does)....

There are a lot of free pilates videos on youtube that will definitely work those muscles. The only way they will shrink is if you lose fat, so make sure your diet is in line and you are eating at a calorie deficit. Working out the muscles will give you a nice shape when the fat comes off.

However, genetics play a role so it may be true that they are never as slim as you like, and people do tend to lose fat proportionately, so if you are pear shaped now you are likely to be pear shaped at goal as well. But there's nothing wrong with that! Healthy- weighted wide hips can be great, so love your body!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Extensive elective bone remodeling surgery.