Lifting Ladies - Starting a 5x5

Options
Ladies, can you show me your lifting before and afters? :) I'm starting a 5x5 lifting routine because last time I lost weight, I lost it all with cardio and calorie restriction, which was great for the first thirty pounds, but I finished losing 50 pounds in under 6 months and I looked gross. I had initially been combatting muscle loss with lifting, but for the last two months I was no longer at the gym and it showed. I've gained back 30 pounds and I want to start losing (slowly) and getting stronger again. I'm not going until the end of each month, because I became far too obsessed with the number. I'm hoping for before and afters to see more of what I have to look forward to. Friend requests from lifting ladies are also welcome.

Replies

• AliceSwarthout
    AliceSwarthout Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Oops! Typo. *Not going to weigh in until the end of each month.
  • AliceSwarthout
    Options
    Wow! Great work. You look incredible.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    That's not me...but that thread is full of ladies that have had great results with weight lifting. I have, too, but no before and after pics for me, sorry...
  • AliceSwarthout
    Options
    You *all* look incredible is what I intended. You plural.
  • AliceSwarthout
    Options
    Thanks for the link!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Do you see what some call like little fat patch areas on your body? This is what I heard what happens with only cardio and calorie deficit.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I downloaded a 5x5 app, and will start using it today. I want a six pack! No more muffin top!
  • AliceSwarthout
    edited January 2015
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Do you see what some call like little fat patch areas on your body? This is what I heard what happens with only cardio and calorie deficit.

Sounds interesting. I've heard the term "skinny fat." is this the same thing? For me, I just sort of sagged. You could see bones. I had extra skin. By bmi I wasn't underweight, but it did not look good.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Sounds interesting. I've heard the term "skinny fat." is this the same thing?

In a way yes and no. Skinny fat refers to losing lots of lean body mass with weight loss. So for example your legs. You claim you look gross. Does your legs look like smaller and smooth then before or are there areas that there is fat?
  • AliceSwarthout
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Well at this point I'm a little chubby again. But when I had lost all the weight, my legs looked fine (still had a lot of muscle left there from running) but I had lost any abdominal definition i had around 145 and my arms were and chest still had some fat but were droopy. I felt like I looked 10 years older because of it.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Alice - You wont be dissappointed with SL 5x5! Make sure you are getting enough calories in!
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Hey, I was just researching this very thing all morning!!! So many opinions, eek.

I am almost 50 and I want to look and feel fit. I only have 20lbs to lose.
  • AliceSwarthout
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »
    Alice - You wont be dissappointed with SL 5x5! Make sure you are getting enough calories in!

Thank you! Do you do/have you done this program? I love and miss lifting and have read a lot before selecting this. I figured it will be worth a shot! I know it won't be quick, but it will be lasting.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Well at this point I'm a little chubby again. But when I had lost all the weight, my legs looked fine (still had a lot of muscle left there from running) but I had lost any abdominal definition i had around 145 and my arms were and chest still had some fat but were droopy. I felt like I looked 10 years older because of it.

When people say they lift to tone maybe the above is one of the reasons since there really is no such thing as tone a muscle.

I will say that I notice that I actually look smaller than a cousin of mine who I weight 30 pounds more from because of weight training. Weight training definitely changes body composition for the better.

• jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

Thank you! Do you do/have you done this program? I love and miss lifting and have read a lot before selecting this. I figured it will be worth a shot! I know it won't be quick, but it will be lasting.

Yes, it was the first program I did when I started to lift weights with a goal in mind. Before I would just go into the gym and lift weights to say I lifted weights...haha. I really enjoyed the program as you will be amazed at how strong you will become in a short period of time. The ADDED benefit will be with your body composition if your eating the right amount of calories. If you're looking to shed some weight I would eat at your maintenance level for a few weeks and see what the scale/mirror says.

Also, don't let the scale be your judge of progress! Use your eyes and a mirror!

• AliceSwarthout
    Options

Yes, it was the first program I did when I started to lift weights with a goal in mind. Before I would just go into the gym and lift weights to say I lifted weights...haha. I really enjoyed the program as you will be amazed at how strong you will become in a short period of time. The ADDED benefit will be with your body composition if your eating the right amount of calories. If you're looking to shed some weight I would eat at your maintenance level for a few weeks and see what the scale/mirror says.

Also, don't let the scale be your judge of progress! Use your eyes and a mirror!

that's the plan! Thanks :)