Is it normal to feel awkward going to an exercise class on your own?

Options
i am going to go to a fitness class tomorrow! I actually feel a bit scared to go on my own lol as I don't know anyone, does anyone else get like this lol x

Replies

• Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Perfectly normal to feel a little nervous and new situations are never as bad as we first feared. I am a great believer in painting on a smile and walking boldly forward. Good for you for signing up for a class.
  • tostaky
    tostaky Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    To be honest, most people go on their own so thats no big deal. Enjoy!
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Yup, perfectly normal. You always feel like everybody else in the room are all best friends and you're the newbie. Just go anyway -- there's always a few new folks in a group class (and this time of year, more than than a few), and you get to meet some interesting people.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,614 Member
    Options
    Everyone practically started the same. Eventually if you're consistent enough, you'll build acquaintances when you attend. It's not often that people who attend classes, still do them with someone who also went with as friends.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Oh, so normal! Rest assured, though, either the other participants are feeling as awkward as you or they aren't paying attention to you (as long as you aren't doing or wearing things to bring attention to yourself, that is!). Also, you burn more calories flailing around whilst trying to figure out the routine than you will once you have it down pat.

Have fun!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    jadejo63 wrote: »
    i am going to go to a fitness class tomorrow! I actually feel a bit scared to go on my own lol as I don't know anyone, does anyone else get like this lol x

No.
  • cstevenson86
    cstevenson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Of course it is normal! Not to worry. You will be just fine - and you will make friends! Which is great, because they will be on the same path as you. I love my "Zumba girls!"
  • picnic2day
    picnic2day Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm sure everyone feels like that ... but you only have to do it once 'cos next time you'll have already been before and will at least know someone ... no-one will be judging and they'll pleased to see a new face and you'll soon have a whole load of new friends from your class <3
  • picnic2day
    picnic2day Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    ps: what class you doing? let us know how you go on x
  • Khovde07
    Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this! I just switched gyms and signed up for classes as well (part of the package). I haven't had time to make a class yet but I'm planning on going tomorrow. I'm so nervous! It makes it harder to get motivated because I don't want to look silly or out of shape. I'm sure no one will be judging, but it's hard to not feel like they are.
  • Scott_2025
    Scott_2025 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Perfectly normal. I was real nervous about going to the local pool to swim laps the first time. After making the plunge, I have never looked back... I have made several new friends and love my time in the pool.... Go for it. Make some new friends...
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Yup. Even if I've been a ton, I have leftover fat kid anxiety like everyone is watching/staring/making fun of me. Ex: tomorrow is my BodyFlow class. I hate it. I'm one of the few chubby people in the class and, while I'm experienced with yoga, I don't like pilates and I suck at the "flow" part. I DREAD it... but it's a good workout and I can't make the yoga class I love. All day tomorrow I will make excuses in my head why I shouldn't go.
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Options
    I still go, just to have fun, I'm an introvert, and there's no way I'm changing because of some cliques. It can be a real good workout, get to hear some good music,etc
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    sounds like an excuse not to go :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    What the others said. Fear of the new,what others will do. Please remember nobody will be paying much attention to you. Enjooy the class, do your best and its importnat you stick it out for about 5 times and then you should feel comfy. Dont put yourself off by worrying.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I am phobic about taking classes. I even had a panic attack in one once. The only ones I can do without too much anxiety are yoga classes (still slightly nervous), and barre classes...not sure why those are different than the others, but when they move us from the barre to the floor I leave because I panic again. I know that no one is really looking at me, but I still feel like it and no matter if I go to the back of the class, the teacher inevitably turns everyone around and poof! front of the class! One day I may conquer this fear, and I'll bet you get over your nerves and have fun - my friends who take classes love them!
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I've only been to an exercise class a few times in my life, and only to a public gym once. I could not bear to exercise with a bunch of strangers, so I have always done it alone. I know people who love it though, they go alone and make new friends, running partners and tennis partners!
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Ohwhynot wrote: »
    Yup. Even if I've been a ton, I have leftover fat kid anxiety like everyone is watching/staring/making fun of me. Ex: tomorrow is my BodyFlow class. I hate it. I'm one of the few chubby people in the class and, while I'm experienced with yoga, I don't like pilates and I suck at the "flow" part. I DREAD it... but it's a good workout and I can't make the yoga class I love. All day tomorrow I will make excuses in my head why I shouldn't go.

Try being the only guy in the class :D I'm about as flexible as a 4x4, but keep trying in BodyFlow. Gotta start somewhere (straight yoga would out-and-out leave me on the floor crying like a baby.)
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    If you want a tip, go early & get in the back. Lots of new people hang there. Then you can find people new like you and perhaps will help develop a common interest & look for each other the next class. It gets easier. Good luck. Have fun.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I am phobic about taking classes. I even had a panic attack in one once. The only ones I can do without too much anxiety are yoga classes (still slightly nervous), and barre classes...not sure why those are different than the others, but when they move us from the barre to the floor I leave because I panic again. I know that no one is really looking at me, but I still feel like it and no matter if I go to the back of the class, the teacher inevitably turns everyone around and poof! front of the class! One day I may conquer this fear, and I'll bet you get over your nerves and have fun - my friends who take classes love them!

you know not for nothing but people probably give you way more attention for you leaving than if you just stayed.

And yes- line changes are normal for a regular dance based class- I'd say get over it- because you're more likely to learn more and focus on yourself and your grown if you aren't in the back A. fighting to see or B. worried about what other people think of you.