Replies

• cbhutton
    cbhutton Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Keep it up!!
  • sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 4 day 3. I was like that in the beginning as well. Don't give up you will get better :)
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement and advice guys! I'd never considered getting running shoes for this, all I did for cardio before was walk. I guess my beat down dr scholls aren't gonna cut it for this. Anyone know of a discount place to get shoes? I wanna do this, but no way do I have 100+ for a pair of shoes.

I went and got fitted but turned down their shoes and found the exact same ones in older models on sale on Amazon. Best thing ever.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    cstark00 wrote: »
    I started c25k on the advice of a friend of mine who went through the program and had tremendous results. I am planning to run a 5k at the end of April. Hearing all of these replies is a tremendous encouragement and urges me to go forward. Thanks for all the posts.

I do have a couple of questions. I had a knee injury over 5 years ago and is starting to flare up right now. Will this go away as I keep running? What sort of foods give good fuel on the days I run?

If you are having knee problems, make sure you are doing whatever exercises you were told to do after your knee issues - using bands, weight lifting, etc. Running can worsen any issues you have if you aren't careful.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement and advice guys! I'd never considered getting running shoes for this, all I did for cardio before was walk. I guess my beat down dr scholls aren't gonna cut it for this. Anyone know of a discount place to get shoes? I wanna do this, but no way do I have 100+ for a pair of shoes.

Go to a running store and get fitted. Tell them your price range. I just got brand new shoes from one for $60 because they were clearanced. This isn't a popular time of year for running shoes, so you might be able to get a good deal even from a "real" running shoe store.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Start slow...do a slow jog on the running segments, don't try to do too much too soon. It will all come eventually. Don't worry about having to repeat days or even training weeks...when I did my C25K program almost 2.5 years ago I had to do a lot of repeating. It takes time to build up your fitness so be patient with it...I don't run anymore due to plantar fasciitis aggravations, but I do cycle about 80 miles per week...couldn't have imagined that just a couple of years ago.
  • QueenMother14
    QueenMother14 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. It is a process and there are some weeks I have to repeat. I am not currently running due to weather but when it warms up for more than 1 day at a time, I will be back on C25K.
  • salad_bar
    salad_bar Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am on Week 3 of the C25K and I echo the advice given above. Go a little slower in the running segments.
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    My advice is to just repeat days/weeks as many times as you need to. Move on when you feel ready to move on. That's the beauty of C25K. You can finish the program in as little as nine weeks or take six months if you need to. Don't feel as though you have to move on just because the program says you should be doing week X/day X.

I 100% agree! I completed C25K last year and am now doing the 5K to 10K training program. C25k was a freakin' godsend. I used to be an avid runner but fell really badly out of shape and practice. C25K got me back on track. Every now and then I would feel like I couldn't do it or I was having an off day, but I would just power through the best I could and repeat it the next time. Listen to your body and just keep running. :smiley:

Oh, and if you are in pain, don't ignore it! At one point my IT band was killing me. Instead of taking a break (because I wanted the finish the program "on time") I tried to just run through the pain and almost ended up injuring my knee permanently. I had to wear a brace for a while and take it easy, but eventually, with a lot of rest and proper care, it got better. I worked on improving my form for a while and now I can run completely pain free.

Take care out there!

• NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I did Week One, Day One of the C25K on January 9th. I did Week One, Day Two... today... I have a nasty habit of falling off the bandwagon, but especially being one who *loathes* (I repeat, LOATHES) cardio (seriously, I'd rather be weightlifting) this kicked my butt too! I'm 23, approx 5 foot 6 and 135 pounds. So exterior-wise, I don't seem very "out of shape" but I barely made it through day one, and I was sore beyond being able to work out at all (let alone walk, the day after) for almost a week...

My boyfriend wants me to do tough mudder this year, and I'm really nervous about it. But I'm pushing myself because I have an amazing support group because of MFP, and you can (and clearly do!) as well! :) I did mine on the treadmill that is so graciously provided by my work-- 3.5 to 4 on the walks, and 5.5 to 6.5 on the jogs, depending on how good I'm feeling...

Oh yeah, and don't forget to STRETCH!
  • nmcrosier
    nmcrosier Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Congrats - it will get easier! I did the program last year, and by week 3 was beating the previous time each time I got to the next workout. Unfortunately I broke my ankle and am now back at the C25K starting line. I'm struggling again. BUT I know it will get better. Build your endurance SLOWLY, don't try to rush it. It's only a race with you, don't be concerned what others are doing. Remember the important thing is you had the courage to start. <3

Also I agree go get fitted for those great running sneaks - they help!!! I have 2 pairs of Saucony & 1 pair of Brooks. I got fitted (a 1/2 size larger than my shoe size) - declined to buy their Saucony's at $120...the went to amazon and zulily to buy what they were selling for half the price (and they were the same models!).
  • The_Sandra
    The_Sandra Posts: 56 Member
    Options

I went and got fitted but turned down their shoes and found the exact same ones in older models on sale on Amazon. Best thing ever.

I was going to recommend the same thing. Go to a specialty running store and get fitted, and then buy some socks as a token of your appreciation for their time (I like Thorlos, and a good pair of running socks is nice to have anyway). Then take their brand and line recommendation and look for older models online. Good luck! You can do this! C25K turned me into a runner, and gave me more stamina to do all the non-running activities that I love!
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I completed C25k about 2 years ago... it took me 12 weeks instead of 9 because I had to "linger" on some weeks longer before I was ready to move on. I've run several 5ks since and I'm toying with do the Bridge to 10k to see if I can run a 10k. Keep at it, just go slower if you have to. :)
  • OKfarmgal
    OKfarmgal Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I did week 1 three times before I could finish it. I did week 2 twice and started week 3 yesterday. I see week 3 going on for a bit as you have 2 intervals of 3 minute jogging. I really had to push it to finish. Keep up though, I do have A LOT more stamina even if it isn't jogging. Good luck to you!!
  • romancoat
    romancoat Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Check your shoes as well. When I started, I was running too fast, and had the wrong shoes on and my ankles and shins were killing me. I got stability shoes, and slowed down, and it went a lot better. I'm restarting running now after almost two years, so I'm starting again from the beginning.
  • tanowicki
    tanowicki Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, go slow. I started with c25k and now am a regular 10k racer. Although, racer is being kind. And my race running pace is not much ahead of my race walking pace. As an aside, running has sped up my walking.

Also, running is a bit of a mental game. Don't let the idea of running miles get in your head.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    The first time I started exercise as an adult, I just walked and continued to walk until I could do so for up to an hour -then I did C25K. If C25K is too rough for now, do what you can and keep adding some more time at a walking pace. When I did C25K, I had some extra weeks thrown in as well as repeating. I'm going through it again to regain my stamina after some health problems and I consider myself to be on week 3B - somewhere in between weeks 3 and 4, because I want to push myself harder than week 3, but I'm not ready for week 4.

Take as long as you need and just keep at it! Good job getting started!
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Is goodfeet a reputable fitting place? There's one on the way to school... My legs hurt like hell, but I'm back at it again tomorrow.
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 2 day 3 this evening. I'm a little scared of week three, though - the idea of three minutes solid of running really intimidates me!
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Get fitted properly. Shin splints stink. I have plans for a new attempt in a few months when I've been fitted and my mma classes aren't kicking my butt quite as much.