Sore muscles after exercise

Options
Any ideas on what to take? My legs hurt so much going up and down the stairs at my house even to sit down! lol The first day, I couldn't even reach out for things because my arms hurt so bad. All I've done is hot showers
Any tips? Thank you :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Nataliethin81
    Nataliethin81 Posts: 315
    Options
    Ibuprofen seems to be the only thing that helps me and light stretching.
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Try doing a light workout. I've noticed that when I'm super sore it helps to get the blood moving and the muscles warmed up again :bigsmile:
  • dlangenfeld
    dlangenfeld Posts: 119
    Options
    Or take an Epsom salt bath...supposed to help with soreness!
  • HoLLyZ82
    HoLLyZ82 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    its a good hurt!!! enjoy it :)
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Keep moving is what helps me the most. I exercise everyday and I'm sometimes sore in the morning but as long as I keep moving I feel better. Hot baths are great for achy muscles. Keep exercising but just take it a little easier. As you get in better shape, you won't get as sore. Good luck to you:)
  • theladebug
    theladebug Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Have you tried icy hot or tiger balm or something similar? I know a lot of it smells bad but it's really helped me on my sore days and its topical instead of a pill :)
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    My trainer uses a foam roller to stretch out my muscels after a training session. It really works and you don't have to use any drugs.
  • clem7444
    clem7444 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I second the "light workout" comment. Especially if you did some walking and maybe a yoga workout for stretching. I have resorted to Ibuprofin, but I don't like to take it. I do a lot of hot showers. Also, you may want to take a look at your workout. If it makes you so sore that you can't walk/function for multiple days, is it too hard? Do you need to lower weights a little and slowly move up? Don't get me wrong, I'm all about punishment for progress, but I need to be able to function at work and home too! Hope that helped :)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel today! I had a really tough circuits class on wednesday night and though I felt ok yesterday, today I ache all over, like I've been beaten up. I am having a rest day.
  • susyseq
    susyseq Posts: 94
    Options
    Have you tried icy hot or tiger balm or something similar? I know a lot of it smells bad but it's really helped me on my sore days and its topical instead of a pill :)

LOL my husband uses that sometimes, and I can't stand the smell!
  • Mkleder
    Mkleder Posts: 289
    Options
    Take a pain killer, stretch, a light coating of icy hot or bengay, and KEEP MOVING. When you stop moving, you stiffen up and it hurts worse when you try to move. Keep working out and it will go away quickly.
  • alliebe
    alliebe Posts: 21
    Options
    At the risk of sounding like a salesperson, I use deep blue by doTERRA. It is all natural with no harsh side effects, it helps sooth sore muscles and also heal sore muscles, remember when you are sore it is because you have microscopic tears in your muscles. I used this blend to help heal a torn gastrocnemis (calf) muscle.

You can find the deep blue at the store below, shop for products, click on oil blends, then scroll down. My husband and I love the products so much that we became a consultant to get them at wholesale pricing.

http://www.mydoterra.com/williamarahn/

Deep Blue®
    Soothing Blend

According to recent studies, more than half of us are sufferers of ongoing discomfort. Deep Blue® is dōTERRA®'s soothing solution to this challenge. Wintergreen, camphor, peppermint, blue tansy, blue chamomile, helichrysum and osmanthus work together to ease achy joints and sore muscles. Its effects are deep and penetrating with sustained results. Once gently rubbed into the area of discomfort, Deep Blue's cool therapeutic benefit will be felt almost immediately. For topical use only.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I will second the light workout and stretching.

You need to get the blood flowing thru the affected areas. The sore muscle feeling is from built up lactic acid. Basically you need to pump that #^@& out of there.

Anytime I compete in a running event, I always do a light jog/ power walk the next day for 2-3 miles just to loosen up the limbs.
    Drinking plenty of fluids will help flush out the lactic acid as well.
  • susyseq
    Options
    My trainer uses a foam roller to stretch out my muscels after a training session. It really works and you don't have to use any drugs.

What is that?
  • eternlgladiator
    Options
    A protein shake always helps me. I take them after my intense workouts and it helps a lot with recovery. I like the soreness though sometimes. It forces me to stretch more and loosen up and it also tells me I had a good workout. I know if I'm not sore I didn't push myself hard enough in some aspect so I'll look to reduce my rest times a little bit or increase my weights.

Pain is weakness leaving the body.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options

What is that?

Its like a big foam rolling pin and is useful for massaging out the pain points.
  • texastae1010
    texastae1010 Posts: 165
    Options
    I also love the foam roller ...used it at the gym with a trainer also but now we have one at home and love it helps so much ...I have seen them at target...I found this article

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/flexibilityandstretching/ss/FoamRoller.htm
  • lornainak
    lornainak Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I use to feel the same expecially after my first week of P90X... I finally broke down and purchased the Beachbody P90x recovery mix in individual packets. I don't go to the gym without it... far better than the protien mix at the smoothy counter... I have to admit it's full of sugar and if you watching your sugar intake this is not the drink for you... I love it and found I am not as soar as I use to be a day after my workout. Lots of stretching is a must and a ton of liguids too. Good luck to you! However, after my first race of the season I found myself slapping on some BenGay as a choice of perfume for the day instead of my normal perfume... lol :laugh:
  • LJV1031
    LJV1031 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Stretch the muscles after working out to get that lactic acid moving. Muscles are a lot tighter than fat, so when the lactic acid builds up, it doesn't have any real space so it burns. Also, plenty of water, to help "flush" it out. Protein also helps, if I'm not mistaken. Keep moving, but keep it light. The hot showers are good too, and that foam roller sounds interesting. Hope this helps. :smile:
  • susyseq
    Options
    Thank you everyone! :)