Drinking your calories

Options
tlcAK
tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
So I was just wondering who else forgets to add their drinking calories?!?! Every Friday my husband and I give ourselves a "treat" and gets a drink at our local cafe. I've been more diligent about putting everything in my food diary and realized that I hadn't been putting in every drink. :blushing: Oopps. and HOLY CRAP some of those drinks take up 1/3 of my calories for the day. Anyone else have this problem? I should probably either get the "skinny" or just not do it at all. :sad:

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I have a section for drinks :D
    sometimes I won't add like my diet pepsi or whatever, but only if it doesn't have calories.
    I always add my ice caps and such because they have like 280 cals in them!!
    can't forget those drink calories
    pop has a lot too!!
  • blondie1238
    blondie1238 Posts: 182
    Options
    Ughhhh... it's awful, when you've been so good all day, and then you want to have a few cocktails with friends! A few glasses of wine or a few beers sends ya right over the calories so quick!
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    That's why I don't drink any calories with 2 exceptions:

1) Post workout recovery drink - 220 calories
    2) Protein powder mixed with unsweetened Almond Breeze, 194 calories per serving

No juice, no milk, no regular soda, no alcohol.

But that's me.
  • afyfe1999
    afyfe1999 Posts: 16
    Options
    I too have a section for drinks. I count every calorie (when I track) including liquids and gum, etc.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I add all my drinks in my misc section when I have them. Tomorrow I'm going to a wine testing affair so its going to be pretty complicated to add all those sips lol
  • ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥
    ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥ Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I add my drink calories. I love white wine!! instead of having a full glass of vino i now have 1/3 of a glass and fill the rest up with diet lemonade. Less calories and i still get to enjoy my lovely wine :drinker:
  • lilbigginz
    lilbigginz Posts: 36
    Options
    when i first started i was having those problems but i switched to water all the time. i just started using the mio liquid water enhancer and it really feels like it's not boring old water anymore. using sweet tea atm and it's pretty good, they also have a bunch of other flavors and 0 calories.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Coming to MFP decreased my beer consumption from almost every weekend....to only special occasions, and no more than once a quarter. But when I do....look out!
  • christina_michelle
    Options
    tall skinny caramel macchiatos! 100 calories and SOOO DELICIOUS !! :-) I just got my mom on them and she used to be the venti extra caramel extra shot kind of girl!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Add them. If it has calories it should be added. You are not fooling your body by leaving them off your diary.
  • JoyJoyJoy65
    Options
    I save my calories on Fridays so I can have my date night out with my husband every Friday. My 3 shots of whiskey last weekend cost me 192 calories :-)

You got to have fun though! Good luck!
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    What's the point of being skinny if I can't drink?

That's my philosophy. I log them most of the time but not all the time. Just logging them can help you be aware of what you're putting in your body so maybe you opt for a healthier drink (but I still go a drink all the same!)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Drinking calories annoys the crap outta me! It seems like liquid things shouldn't have that many calories. I mean seriously - a shot of rum has 77 calories? Bogus! (edited to correct # of cals)

hehe, ok rant over

In the beginning I'd forget to log my drinks all the time but after stalling out last minth, I made it a habit to log them. Those extra calories can add up really quickly and before you know it you're way over your daily limit and still hungry. Most nights I skip the liquor and just have the diet soda - still sweet and feels like a treat. And yes, I know there's sodium and dreaded artificial sweeteners but I don't worry about either of those too much...
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I had a Gatorade and was shocked at it's calories/sodium for the whole bottle. I try not to drink my calories but sometimes a cold juice, cold Gatorade or cold Soda just sounds so delish. Just don't make it a habit and always account for it!

You can always get water enhancers if you don't wanna have a big hit to your calories...MIO has 0 calories and there are others that have less than 30 calories.
  • tlcAK
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I know I need to be more diligent. Sometimes its hard (esp when you're just sipping here and there like a wine tasting which I am suppose to do in a couple of weeks eek tell me how that goes!)
  • tlcAK
    Options
    I add all my drinks in my misc section when I have them. Tomorrow I'm going to a wine testing affair so its going to be pretty complicated to add all those sips lol

Good luck I'm donig that in a couple weeks tell me how it goes and how you counted it!
  • jenndlphn
    jenndlphn Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My husband and I go out with friends every other week, I just make sure to get my exercise in that day and try to save some of the daily calories so I can enjoy myself without worrying too much
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I track everything but alcohol. Some people try and tell me I should, however, I dont. Im not changing my drinking habits. I usually come up short frequently enough, by the end of the week, Im sure I'll be fine. I like going out for drinks with my friends, I refuse to drink crappy alcohol just to keep within my calorie amount, and this isnt something I'm willing to change. However, I am well aware that my Guiness is approximately 194 a pint. -=Shurgs=-

I add in everything else though, because the things that sneak up on me are actually fruit juices.
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Before mfp I had already cut out pop, and cut down juice to ocassionally. I had vitamin waters(not the 0 cal. don't drink anything 0 cal, expect water) because they didn't have too many calories. I only had Ice-caps when my husband took me to Tim Horton's. But now I pretty much just drink water and milk. If I am going to go out with my husband or Mother, I watch my calories carefully that day to make sure I have enough.

It is hard to remember what you had while you were away sometimes. But having a routine helps. Sometimes I put a note in my phone to add them when I get home.
  • doza13
    doza13 Posts: 7
    Options
    Oh yeah I've been guilty of not counting my drinks. When I was on a different diet plan I would NEVER count the points for my morning coffee and I would get a medium iced coffee with cream and sugar every single morning. When I started on MFP I put in my coffee for all it was worth and the very next day I switched to a medium iced coffee cream only. I'm saving half the calories by cutting out the sugar.

As for the other kind of drinking your calories... oh I do it and I'm not going to stop. I've found that the most bang for my buck is a nice glass of wine. I'll allot myself 2 glasses of wine. I'm feeling good and my calorie count isn't suffering TOO much. Of course the other night my boyfriend thought he was being sweet by ordering me a coffee/chocolate martini. It was delicious and it was very sweet of him, but that can't be the norm.

Everything in moderation!!!