TOM water retention

Options
DebiP10
DebiP10 Posts: 275 Member
I feel so depressed today, ive been so motivated exercing and also doing the jillian michaels 30 day shred ( on to day 15) never went over my calories in 3 weeks and over night ive gained 3lb. My TOM due in a few days and wondered if any of you ladies suffer the same. I felt so fat and bloated and almost gave up :(

Replies

• LilChickPea
    LilChickPea Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I started really exercising hard and I myself have gained 3 lbs overnight as well. I feel bloated too, and thought why am I even trying. BUT, lets not give up! We can do this! I bet we'll lose it over the weekend :)
  • princesslmc2
    princesslmc2 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!!!! I gain 2-6 pounds with my TOM. Give it a 7-10 days and it'll get back to normal (and then some!).
  • sass30
    sass30 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    yeah you are not alone. sometimes I start gaining water week 2 weeks before TOM.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    TOM started today (on my weigh-in day) and I figured I'd weigh anyway ...2lbs gain. LAMEEEE. Just know that it'll go away...give yourself between 2-4 days after your period is done before you weigh again and you'll see the loss! Don't let it distract you. Think of the # you got today and then know when you step on the scale again (after it's gone) you'll see a HUGE loss.
  • DebiP10
    DebiP10 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    awww thank you so much for giving me hope. i will try keep away from the scales until maybe late next week and hope with all my heart theres a big loss :) it sucks being female sometimes
  • xxjacqueline
    xxjacqueline Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Oh yes. Not only does my TOM mess with the scale, it messes with my appetite. Makes me more hungry and makes me crave carbohydrates and sugar. Don't get discouraged, keep doing what you're doing and weigh yourself a few days after it's gone.
  • amarie35
    amarie35 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    YES mam! I go through the same thing every month. TOM is never good to me. I take that back. The only thing TOM's good for, is to remind me that I'm NOT pregnant. :bigsmile:
  • eamartin
    eamartin Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!!!! I gain 2-6 pounds with my TOM. Give it a 7-10 days and it'll get back to normal (and then some!).

Same here girlfriend!!! At least 5lbs extra for a week =/
  • Aeliyah
    Aeliyah Posts: 247
    Options
    I'm in the same boat... gained a pound overnight right before my TOM. Almost panicked... then I read the forums and I've noticed a LOT of women experience this. (I think I'm kinda lucky having only gained one pound....) Hopefully it goes away in a few more days!! It can take about another 20+ pounds with it!! :)
  • WillWorkout4Food
    WillWorkout4Food Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Love it!
  • EricaLeigh100
    Options
    Don't get disheartened. Women usually have wide swings of water-related weight in response to hormone fluctuations. So if you gain a few pounds and you know you've been working the program and you're being accurate with your records, generally you can relax. If you think you've not been accurate or staying on your plan, then re-evaluate.

Keep working your plan and remember, it's not about weight alone-that will go up and down, it will "go with the flow," and you can too!
  • lecia125
    lecia125 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I gain wieght and have cravings also. Drink LOTS of water and just keep up the hard work, it will pass.
  • WillWorkout4Food
    WillWorkout4Food Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    YES mam! I go through the same thing every month. TOM is never good to me. I take that back. The only thing TOM's good for, is to remind me that I'm NOT pregnant. :bigsmile:

I love this reply. This is the ONLY good thing. I gain between 3-5 pounds like clockwork. I also tend to eat less and want sugar drinks like Soda or Mixed alcohol drinks. BELIEVE ME you are not the only one in this situation. We can all rejoice in the fact that this too shall pass. =)
  • CSmoak15
    CSmoak15 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When I began this calorie diet I started my TOM two days later and it was horrible because I get the worst sweet cravings in the world and then to salty ones ... it sure was a huge struggle and with all the boating and cramping there is no urge or motivation to get up and exercise! I totally held out and splurged on a Snickers Bar only one day, but I exercised so much that day I could afford to give up 208 calories! You can do it. Don't get discouraged and if anything just think about when your TOM is done and the weight will go down!!! Good Luck!
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I started to keep track of my cycle due to having a 3-5lb gain some days out of the month. I definitely have water retention during TOM, I feel it in my legs and breasts mostly
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I don't really blame my TOM for the bloating because it happens all the time. I have learned I really have to watch the sodium levels, and drink a lot of water. I have seen tons of women get on here and post this stuff so over the past few months I have really paid attention to my body ( now I relize everyone is diffrent) but here goes

1. I have to watch my sodium. If I go over, or super close then I am going to be bloated the next day. No matter what
    2. If I skip workouts I am going to be bloated all over and feel like crap. I figure this is because a lot of sweat and salt...
    3. I get kinda bloated and have the "runs" literally before I have a big loss, honestly I have big losses before my TOM.

Another thing my trainer told me, was not to get freaked about feeling "bloated" when you are working a lot of abs. because it is normal. I have no idea why, but it was true. I had been doing a lot of abs stuff to build core strength and muscle and I was bloated for a few days and then all of a sudden my stomach was way flatter then it had ever been...

IDK , just some thoughts is all
  • rosey808
    rosey808 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Question, after your period, do you lose those pounds you gained from your period and then some?

So if I gained 5lbs because of my period, but continued with my excercise program and food will I lose those 5 plus a few more?
  • Rice27
    Rice27 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Right there with you - started yesterday afternoon - up 1 pound - I don't log it because it is accurate - so no worries - in a few days it will go away and the scale will be back where it should be. Just drink extra water - which I am bad at - and stay on track!!
  • Leopardliz
    Leopardliz Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I feel you. Sometimes im sooo motivated and i weigh myself and gain! Ahhh...but what i do is go to the sauna and shed the water weight. It helps the bloated feeling. I also drink lots of water, sounds weird but that way i pee more and the feeling slowly goes away.
  • Mommaof3Boys2011
    Options
    I am so glad to hear that TOM affects my weigh ins, I just had my weekly weigh in (my first one in 2 or 3 weeks) and i was bummed that with all the work i have done over the last month that i had only lost 3 lbs.(I'm suppose to start for the fist time since having my son, 5 weeks ago, any day now) Not saying that 3 lbs is bad but it can be discouraging when you work really hard and your not seeing the results you want... just keep up the work... we will reach our goals as long as we dont give up...