Rowing machine a good choice for weight loss?

Options
Hi all, I've fallen off the weight loss wagon for a year and a half now :/ I'm ready to get serious about it again and am looking at a couple different machines for a small home gym. I tried using a rowing machine a few years ago at the local gym and from what I remember I liked using it. Is it a good choice for calorie burn? Does anyone have a success story using mainly a rowing machine they would like to share? Thanks!

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Will a rowing machine help you make better food choices and eat a calorie deficit?

if the answer is yes- then yes it will help.

if the answer is no- then no it will not help.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Your weight loss (and weight control in general) has far more to do with your energy consumption than the exercise you do.

The rowing machine is great exercise though.

Diet for weight control; exercise for fitness.
  • mattjft
    mattjft Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    any exercise is good thing. its a better thing if its something you dont mind or enjoy doing because it means there is a better chance you will stay commited.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Your weight loss (and weight control in general) has far more to do with your energy consumption than the exercise you do.

^^^^ Couldn't say it any better

I probably row 30 to 40km per week and it's a great full body workout (ideally, once you've built up your aerobic capacity and got your form down try alternating between steady state rows & intervals - you'll see remarkable improvements in your fitness). If you do decide to buy a rowing machine consider a Concept2, a little pricey but it will last you a lifetime.

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I've lost 35 pounds while using my rowing machine--and a caloric deficit. If you enjoyed it, buy it!

Of the activities I do, it's the most efficient for calorie burn--exactly twice what light/moderate effort calisthenics burns. But it's less efficient than running.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I've lost 35 pounds while using my rowing machine--and a caloric deficit. If you enjoyed it, buy it!

Of the activities I do, it's the most efficient for calorie burn--exactly twice what light/moderate effort calisthenics burns. But it's less efficient than running.

I don't know that I would say it's less efficient than running.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

According to MFP's calculations, it is. 5mph running=599 calories an hour for me, vs. 524 for moderate effort on the rowing machine.
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

According to MFP's calculations, it is. 5mph running=599 calories an hour for me, vs. 524 for moderate effort on the rowing machine.

Using a good quality HRM will help with calorie burn estimation. When I use a Concept II I use heart rate to guide my session, and for me that means over 600 calories per hour get burnt!

Getting back to the main point, the rowing machine will help burn calories, and if you do it right you will get much fitter.

I've seen lots of people at the gym use the rower with poor form, so I would suggest making sure that your form is correct so that you get the most benefit from the exercise.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    i have tried them a few times but never broken a sweat. if it doesnt make me sweat, its not a workout for me
  • keithw2013
    keithw2013 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Yes if used correctly along with proper diet just like any exercise. Rowing is a great exercise if you work hard at it.
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    carrieous wrote: »
    i have tried them a few times but never broken a sweat. if it doesnt make me sweat, its not a workout for me

Then you weren't doing it right, which happens a lot at gyms where no one has used one as training equipment for rowing. I rowed in college and I could do an erg workout and want to pass out when I was done. Many people get on it without knowing rowing form and think they are supposed to either pull at the highest tension or fly up and down the slide at lightning speed. Gyms should have trainers that know and show how to use it right, because it is a great full body workout. And the greatest sport in the world, in my highly biased opinion.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Then you weren't doing it right, which happens a lot at gyms where no one has used one as training equipment for rowing. I rowed in college and I could do an erg workout and want to pass out when I was done. Many people get on it without knowing rowing form and think they are supposed to either pull at the highest tension or fly up and down the slide at lightning speed. Gyms should have trainers that know and show how to use it right, because it is a great full body workout. And the greatest sport in the world, in my highly biased opinion.

Yep
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Will a rowing machine help you make better food choices and eat a calorie deficit?

Nope because its a rowing machine, but she will be able to use it to help burn calories in an efficient manner, especially if she hets her technique correct and then puts effort in. Your answer is nonsense.
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Options

Couldn't agree more.

I'm a masters rower and the fittest people in the club sweat!

Rowing rocks!
  • 999tigger
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

It really depends on how much exercise you do, so I wouldnt discount the impact exercise has on weight loss as it can be significant for a direct calorie burn. Burning an extrta 250-500 calories a day is not to be sniffed at.
  • 999tigger
    Options

Agree that you werent doing it correctly. If you are putting the effort in then like any cardio machine it can destroy you. I often see people try the rower and simply dont put any effort into their stroke. Done correctly it will give you the most complete workout of the cardio machines because it is full body. Its important you learn good technique at the beginning.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    The more muscles you move, the more calories you burn. Rowing is good. VersaClimber would be my pick. Nothing works if you eat too much, though.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »

Nope because its a rowing machine, but she will be able to use it to help burn calories in an efficient manner, especially if she hets her technique correct and then puts effort in. Your answer is nonsense.

no it's not.