How do I log hiit work outs?

Options
I don't have a heart rate monitor (yet) so I'm wondering how I should log them in the mean time. Should it just be under calisthenics for right now?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    calisthenics is fine.
  • Xtal427
    Xtal427 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I log as aerobics-high impact. The burn is low compared to my HRM, but I figure it's better to under-estimate the burn...
  • decblessings
    decblessings Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that a HR monitor wouldn't show an accurate burn for HIIT as it is not really the "steady state" cardio that a HRM is intended to be used for. Plus it doesn't take into effect the after burn that you supposedly get from HIIT, although I just consider that a "bonus" anyway. If I do my HIIT on the treadmill I either just log a slow run or whatever my Fitbit gives me credit for. If I do it on the elliptical I just log it as an elliptical workout (because I don't get an accurate step count on my Fitbit when I use the elliptical).

Different people have different ideas of what HIIT is as well, so that would make a difference in calories burned. I do 30 seconds of all out - as hard as I can go - followed by 1:30 recovery 10 times plus a warm-up and cool down.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    amysj303 wrote: »
    I log as aerobics-high impact. The burn is low compared to my HRM, but I figure it's better to under-estimate the burn...

That's because your HRM is significantly overestimating the calorie expenditure because you're using it outside it's design parameters.