Thighs

Options
The top of my thighs is 23" and their size drives me crazy. I know you can't spot reduce but can we just talk legs please?

Replies

• Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit and squats/deadlifts
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Running and calorie deficit
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    squats and deads. abduction and adduction exercises will help with toning. Calorie deficit whether with or without aerobic exercise will help eliminate fat stores. Unfortunately a good amount of the eventual shape of the thighs (and other body parts) are the result of heredity; however, we can help shape our bodies through resistance training by building the muscles of various parts of the body.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What measurement should they be?
  • paultucker1007
    paultucker1007 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    How, exactly, will squats and deadlifts reduce the circumference of the OP's thighs? If they do anything at all, they'll make the muscle bigger, the fat will still be there and the circumference will increase.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Mine are bigger. What else would you like to talk about?

Oh, and reasonable calorie deficit if you want to make them smaller.

• 42carrots
    42carrots Posts: 97 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Calorie deficit paired with exercises that target thighs and bum will work in terms of reducing size and reshaping - when I was a bit heavier I was particularly self conscious about the thigh area so I can relate. Even after doing just small amounts of these exercises on a regular basis, you'll notice a difference. On days where I'm at home and not very active (it's very cold outside right now where I live!) I go up and down the 12 step staircase in my house 50 times, either 5 sets of 10, or 2 sets of 25. I know this sounds kind of boring but I actually kind of enjoy it, and it adds up to about 10 minutes of stairs. I pair this with a few sets of squats - this is totally anecdotal as I don't know much about exercise technique, so others can feel free to tell me I'm doing it all wrong, but this has made a positive difference for me so far, even just over the course of a month or two.
  • steff274
    steff274 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    How, exactly, will squats and deadlifts reduce the circumference of the OP's thighs? If they do anything at all, they'll make the muscle bigger, the fat will still be there and the circumference will increase.

Nearly 2 years ago I had big thunder thighs!! my thighs are tiny now!! I put that down to squats and lunges well and alot of cardio!! so it cant be true that it will just bulk your thighs up!!
  • cwain2706
    cwain2706 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It is all about squats, lunges and deadlifts. You can do squat jumps and lunge jumps in a circuit for cardio to burn fat and tone those target areas at the same time. By using weights you will continue to work your muscles after your work out and burn extra calories.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    My thighs are so gross I can barely stand to look at them. Every day, I remind myself that they're getting smaller...but the loose skin isn't going anywhere any time soon.

I don't know if the running is helping or hurting, size-wise. Probably both.

Lose weight, run, pray.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Yours are 58cm, mine are 57cm at their widest and yesterday I bought a pair of size 8 (UK) jeans. How small do you want your thighs to be?
  • 100DaysToGetFitEmma16
    Options
    logg1e wrote: »
    Yours are 58cm, mine are 57cm at their widest and yesterday I bought a pair of size 8 (UK) jeans. How small do you want your thighs to be?

I'm not saying I was 17 inch thighs. I just want a few inches off because they really are huge.
  • 100DaysToGetFitEmma16
    Options
    Want*
  • 100DaysToGetFitEmma16
    Options
    Would you be willing to share your stats? I've also heard that squats and lunges make legs appear larger.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Lifting in and of itself doesn't make muscle bigger. If you're in a caloric deficit, lifting hleps maintain muscle mass while the deficit helps to lower BF% more efficiently. I'm not sure how you can say the fat will still be there, and the muscle will get bigger if the op is exercising within a proper deficit.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    hi 100daystoget...
    do you have questions?

Not everyone swells up when they lift, and if you are on a certain eating/lifting plan your legs will tone up and reduce size.

Cardio will burn muscle if you do enough of it, thus, all the advice to start running. Nothing like looking like a waif, something marathon runners swear is next to feeling like God. Go figure.

I hate running, and the most I can do is jog on the elliptical once or twice a week with intervals. It gives me a good over all calorie burn, but will not shrink or tone muscles. Of course, once your leg muscles are completely toned and tight they will stop shrinking. Only fat and/or muscle loss in the thighs will reduce size, and that takes some doing.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Mine are bigger. What else would you like to talk about?

Oh, and reasonable calorie deficit if you want to make them smaller.

LOL

Would you be willing to share your stats? I've also heard that squats and lunges make legs appear larger.

How so if you are in a calorie deficit? There will be more muscle definition as the fat comes off but bigger though.

• logg1e
    Options
    logg1e wrote: »

I'm not saying I was 17 inch thighs. I just want a few inches off because they really are huge.

And I'm saying, 58cm is pretty slim by most people's standards, so how thin would you like them to be?
  • logg1e
    Options

It would be a pleasure, what stats would you like?

I reserve the right to refuse some information though :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? 23" is not big. My thighs are 22.5" and I would hardly call them big or even a half inch from being big.

2014-12-31_151324_zpsebf1125f.jpg