OCR/Mud Run Club

Options

Replies

• veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    That's a bad *kitten* picture yoovie.

Spartan just posted the Malibu pictures yesterday. :)

Now I REALLY want to do another. lol

yqgwwyn7b4m5.jpg

Well you have 4 more chances in January ;)

WELL, my bruises ARE fading....
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    thank you. :) They are coming along nicely from carrying my rather large child...but they are still weak. I need to work on upper body strength for sure before my next OCR.

That's where I'm at. I'm scheduling indoor rock climbing and bouldering for all of January and February to help me get a better grip on moving my own bodyweight upwards :D
    I know I'm in the minority, but I prefer doing OCRs/mud runs on my own. Those aren't a social thing for me. It's part of the reason I won't do a TM, since they are built to be team oriented. When I do OCRs, I sign up for the earliest wave or the competitive wave so I can race them. I'm not anywhere near being able to win, but I see it as a race and challenge against myself.

this is very similar to me. In my brain, Tough Mudder is a giant battle with my own greatest fears and finding my own grit and pushing forward when Im terrified. It's tough on me physically - i have tons of old serious injuries from a bad wreck, but it's the mental part of it that requires my focus most.

So for me, it's not something i want to do with a boisterous silly group of people yet. I keep it to a 2-3 person team when possible and dont like announcing which races Im doing out of fear that it will turn into a big crazy deal.

Just not quite there yet - but working on it. I'm an introvert so all that crowd buzzing with excitement stuff makes my brain fill with static lol

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    *BUMP*

Also - I received Jo De Sena's book "Spartan Up" for Christmas...already read it. Was gushing over his philosophy behind Spartan Race. He speaks candid about the world's weight issues and goes into depth about why functional training and having "go" muscles, not "show" muscles benefit you long term. It also reveals how ridiculously crazy he actually is. If you are into OCR at all it is a MUST read. I also would recommend it to ANYONE. He talks about "Spartan Code and Life Philosophy" which include taking responsibility for yourself, never backing down, changing your reference points, pushing your limits, etc. Honestly some grade A life advice, in my opinion.

Anyone else read it?

110 days until my 2015 OCR season begins! I've been practicing my spear throw and doing some trail running. Finding my 2 hour workouts fun and getting easier. Getting pumped!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Bumping for this. Looks like the Spartan WC has been moved to Tahoe!

info.spartan.com/wc-tahoe/
  • yoovie
    Options
    whats the WC
  • yoovie
    Options
    oh west coast jesus duh yoovie
  • The_Enginerd
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    whats the WC

World Championship! It was in Vermont that past several years.
  • Laurochka
    Laurochka Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    *BUMP*

Also - I received Jo De Sena's book "Spartan Up" for Christmas...already read it. Was gushing over his philosophy behind Spartan Race. He speaks candid about the world's weight issues and goes into depth about why functional training and having "go" muscles, not "show" muscles benefit you long term. It also reveals how ridiculously crazy he actually is. If you are into OCR at all it is a MUST read. I also would recommend it to ANYONE. He talks about "Spartan Code and Life Philosophy" which include taking responsibility for yourself, never backing down, changing your reference points, pushing your limits, etc. Honestly some grade A life advice, in my opinion.

Anyone else read it?

110 days until my 2015 OCR season begins! I've been practicing my spear throw and doing some trail running. Finding my 2 hour workouts fun and getting easier. Getting pumped!

I have this downloaded but not read it yet - must move it up my "to Read" list for some New Year inspiration!
  • yoovie
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    whats the WC

World Championship! It was in Vermont that past several years.

oh i was wrong anyway!

• amandarawr06
    amandarawr06 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have only done short ones so far - I did an 8k Punisher Race in Hamilton, Ontario and a 7k Badass Dash this past summer.

I am signed up for my first Tough Mudder this summer... am terrified.
  • yoovie
    Options
    GOOD! Tough Mudder is all about being terrified and conquering all my greatest fears, for me.

They have 'em all except sharks!

I have #3, #4, #5 and most likely #6 lined up for next year as well as heading to vegas for the WTM in November.

In 2016 I have #6/7 - #8 and in 2017, Imma do #9 on the West Coast and then do WTM as my number #10.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I did a Spartan Super last year...doing a Sprint in Phoenix next month. Trying to determine whether I'm crazy enough to do a Beast!!

I'm in decent shape, strength-wise, but I put on 20 pounds of flab since last year...boo. My goal now is to slim down so that there's less of "me" to carry over the obstacles :)

I'm looking for friends who want to talk about OCRs, so if this is your thing please add me as a friend!
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    @yoovie - sorry to hear you had such an awful experience at Tuxedo. I had heard that originally about Spartan's (and dreaded doing it) but must confess I've ran into nothing but awesome supportive people on course! I've seen people handing over salt tabs and energy chews, have received assistance over walls from strangers, etc. Same experience I had with the two TM's I did. It is definitely the teamwork and commodore that I love most about OCR's.

FWIW, all of the OCRs I have done I saw a ton of support and teamwork going on. Even the Spartan runs.

I know I'm in the minority, but I prefer doing OCRs/mud runs on my own. Those aren't a social thing for me. It's part of the reason I won't do a TM, since they are built to be team oriented. When I do OCRs, I sign up for the earliest wave or the competitive wave so I can race them. I'm not anywhere near being able to win, but I see it as a race and challenge against myself. I'm trying to set a best time for ME, similar to how I would do a road or trail race.

I do no "specific" training for OCRs. I run about 25 mpw and do "heavy" weight training twice a week. I also do road and trail races in addition to OCRs.

I did my first race with one buddy...it's hard to find a team but I want to do another one. What was your experience on your own - are there any obstacles that you can't get over? That's my thing - I know I'm going to need help along the way (and I probably should give more help to others, as well)!

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Here's a group on here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/6486-obstacle-course-mud-run-racers

I run 3 Spartans a year to get my Trifecta. (I can't afford traveling for them outside of the few they have in Texas, my home state.)
    I just started doing GORUCK. I have a handful of them on the schedule, including the St. Patty's Day Light in Ireland this year.
    I do a few local mud runs every year depending on schedule/timing.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a team, you might have some luck looking on facebook. I know of several Mud Run/OCR teams:
    Corn Fed Spartans (mid-west based)
    Lone Star Spartans (Texas based)
    NE Spahens (North East/New England based)

This is not all of them by any means, but it is a handful of the ones I know of.
  • DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1
    Options
    I too am obsessed with OCR's. I completed my frist Trifecta last year. Charlotte Sprint, VA Super and the SC Beast. Looking for a double trifecta this year. In addition, I will be doing BattleFrog again (last year was awesome), Ruggged Maniac and hopefully I can squeeze in a Tough Mudder. I own a bucket of rocks, a cinder block with a chain and a 50lbs sandbag...Great way to train. Aroo! Hooyah! Hoorah! Horns up and whatever else the terminologies are!
  • The_Enginerd
    Options
    @yoovie - sorry to hear you had such an awful experience at Tuxedo. I had heard that originally about Spartan's (and dreaded doing it) but must confess I've ran into nothing but awesome supportive people on course! I've seen people handing over salt tabs and energy chews, have received assistance over walls from strangers, etc. Same experience I had with the two TM's I did. It is definitely the teamwork and commodore that I love most about OCR's.

FWIW, all of the OCRs I have done I saw a ton of support and teamwork going on. Even the Spartan runs.

I know I'm in the minority, but I prefer doing OCRs/mud runs on my own. Those aren't a social thing for me. It's part of the reason I won't do a TM, since they are built to be team oriented. When I do OCRs, I sign up for the earliest wave or the competitive wave so I can race them. I'm not anywhere near being able to win, but I see it as a race and challenge against myself. I'm trying to set a best time for ME, similar to how I would do a road or trail race.

I do no "specific" training for OCRs. I run about 25 mpw and do "heavy" weight training twice a week. I also do road and trail races in addition to OCRs.

I did my first race with one buddy...it's hard to find a team but I want to do another one. What was your experience on your own - are there any obstacles that you can't get over? That's my thing - I know I'm going to need help along the way (and I probably should give more help to others, as well)!

There were some obstacles that I failed (e.g. monkey bars or horizontal wall climbs where I slipped off), but none I could not personally get over. The 6'/8' walls are problematic to get over for many, but you can always have a random person help you, or there will be an easier section with a foothold, or you can just simply walk around them :p
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a warrior dash in October. Looks like so much fun!
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I love OCR's but there aren't that many of them where I am, and they are fecking expensive too. :(
    I've gone through with a planned team, picked up a team on the day, picked up/joined a team on course and solo. I enjoyed all the differences in experiences.
    Solo I love the challenge of doing it myself at my pace (Still stopped to help others) the planned teams were good because you know the people. Pickup teams were cool because you're all out there for the same reason.
    I generally am a helper. You know, one of those guys that will sit at an obstacle like the 10ft walls, or the quarter pipe (where a lot of people need extra assistance) for half an hour and just help others. Then I'll head off and do it again at the next obstacle.
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    I have barely seen these mentioned on the forums and was wondering who else does them fairly seriously...a lot of people seemed to be focused on other types of training/nutrition than I am. Who else loves carrying 40 pound sandbags up black diamond ski slopes????

I'm basically addicted....My 2015 season starts in 128 days with the Spartan NJ Beast. I earned my trifecta this year and have over 10 Spartan Races lined up for 2015 (season pass holder!). I'm also trying out a Savage Race and Battle Frog for the first time. Doing my 3rd Tough Mudder as well. I've done a bunch of smaller mud runs as well. My goal is Spartan's VT Race and/or their World Championships - if you've seen the hints on social media that they may be moving it.

I'm basically working on losing weight (you run much easier up hills with less fat!) and increasing cardio and muscular strength/endurance. I've upped my workouts to an hr and a half to two and a half hours, but cut back to 5 days a week. I'm still recovering from a back injury but will be moving outside to hill and trail running very shortly. I do a lot of HIIT and bootcamp style stuff. I ordered a spear from Spartan's Matt "The Bear" and it's getting shipped out today so I'll be practicing that to help cut burpees on course too. So excited! Gear and race nutrition are also fun discussions if anyone is interested.....

Tell me about your OCR addiction and goals for next year! Also feel free to friend me, I could seriously talk OCR all day long...

I like Tough Mudder but only if you can sign up for a very early heat to avoid any lines at certain obstacles and actually race (against yourself, as I know TM is not timed).