Tips for motivating spouse needed

Options
My husband and I are about 30lbs overweight. For me, aside from that number I'm in good health. My husband though has high cholesterol and is prehypertensive. It's for that reason I need help getting him onboard. The doc says even losing 10lbs will be a big help for him. I know you can't force anyone to do anything they don't want to but he says he wants to. He's just not doing it so I'm hoping to encourage or excite him. Currently we already meal plan together and food prep but when he comes home he changes his mind and cooks something else plus has a few drinks. I tried this week to make it a friendly competition where the loser for the week owes the winner a favor. But yesterday he ate chips with dinner instead of a salad and had 2 long islands. Plus decided he wants chips, cheese, tacos and margaritas for dinner tonight. That's not exactly starting the week off healthy. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?

Replies

• distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    In my case, my husband knows how much I want to lose some weight. It's not a health issue for me but a self-image/self-esteem issue, so he understands that helping me lose weight is going to make me happier and in turn improve our relationship. I wonder if you might be able to turn the tables and ask him for help or let him know that his being on board helps you stay on track. Maybe he'll feel more inclined to do it if he feels like you need him instead of like you're trying to get him to do something. Just an idea..
  • dlvuyovich
    dlvuyovich Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It can be frustrating, but hang in there. I decide to go alcohol free for weeks at a time and what does mine do? Opens a nice bottle of wine.

I have learned that I just need to do it, including dinner, on my own sometimes. Be clear with him your intentions for your diet and fitness routines and follow through with your plan. If he goes his own path, he should shop for it himself, cook it himself and clean it himself. He may miss sharing these things with you and settle down.

He may not at first, but once he starts seeing your positive changes that might be an extra incentive for him.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    As you stated, you can't force someone else to do it. To prevent after dinner badness, you can try to plan some kind of healthy activity like walking or gym time. Even playing a card game or WII games may interrupt the after dinner calories. Good luck. Remember to take care of yourself first though.
  • fitnessgoddess17
    fitnessgoddess17 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Oh my! I hear you on the opening wine. Alcohol with dinner is my hardest habit to break and when I'm drinking water and he's pouring a drink, I wanna punch him! LOL! Really great advice ladies. Thanks I really appreciate it.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Other than cooking appropriate meals when you're the cook, no not a lot.

Though I will say that going on long walks -- not like pushing and huffing and puffing, but just strolling for an hour, ever day after dinner was great for my husband and I back when we did it (we exercise differently now). The speed wound up picking up naturally, and we found it was just a great time to connect, enjoy nature (we live near an amazing walking trail) and just enjoy each others' company. And yeah, it was good exercise :)
  • MadMaximus83
    MadMaximus83 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been on my journey a little over a yr and a half now and I have lost 89 pounds along the way. My husband would always say he wanted to get healthy too, but would never stick with it. I never said anything to him...I just let him do his own thing. Now my husband has been making healthy changes for a month now (which is a lot longer than his last attempts). I think once you start on a healthier path and he sees the results, he will soon follow.
  • xMrBunglex
    xMrBunglex Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Just lead by example. Once you start losing the weight he'll realize he's the fat guy with the skinny wife...and nothing motivates like fear!
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    how about this, I am trying to get my wife on board, but I have a hard time anyway with the diet. Somethings I came up with. We both have Vivosmarts, the one with the highest step total for the day gets a point, if you do a workout that day you get a point, so you can either get 0,1,or 2 points for the day, we keep track and at the end of the year, the winner chooses an "adult only" vacation, so far I am ahead of my wife 13-11. But eating healthy, that is the crux of the issue. 1. Eat out less. 2. he can eat his chips, go to your store and find the Healthiest chips in the store, or even better, make "homemade" chips with a frying pan, VOO and sea salt, pepper, or other spices he enjoys. I love a good beer, I would drink 3-4 a night, I switched to Yuengling light (99 cal) no more than two a night, grauating to only when I eat out with the family or special occasion , ie superbowl :) but stick to light beer. So he likes Long Island Ice tea's for every Tea, he must drink 20 oz of water before the next one, I've learned when eating out, 1 beer then 1 water, befeor Beer 2...you fill up pretty quick. Taco's are fine, again, try and make them healthier, say whole grain shells, with chicken, Avacodo, salsa, cheese. To lower his HDL he will need to strength train more, and eat Oatmeal, Apples, and other foods that will lower HDL. I LOVE Buffalo wings, but I cam up with my homemade version, I buy the chicken, I bake them with some spices and sauce, they are healthier because they are baked, not deep fried, I broil them for 15 min after cooked to get them crispy, or I eat plain chicken breast grilled then dipped and placed on my salad.

Margarita's...again, see where you can lower the calories, see where you can make it somewhat healthy yet enjoyable.

You don't have to give up the things he loves, just modify them, or lower the intake of them. I wnjoy the 80/20 rule...80 % healthy, 20% my junk food.

little changes can make a huge difference and a little fun to the mix, life is a balance, try and find the balance between the foods you both enjoy and making them healthier.

But Weight training and Oatmeal will really help lower the HDL
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Is he scared that being healthy is going to omit all of his favorite foods? IMO, tacos are great weight loss food because they can be pretty balanced on the macros, but piling on the chips and queso AND the margaritas starts to turn into a calorie bomb. Can you find a compromise that makes him feel like he's still getting to enjoy himself? Tacos, skinny margaritas, and pre-portioned chips with salsa instead of queso? (Nothing wrong with queso if it fits in your calories btw. If he skips breakfast and eats a basic salad for lunch, he may very well have room for all that food in reasonable portions.)
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    As the token lazy, unhealthy husband, I have to say there's almost nothing you can do if he does not really want to change and it is pretty clear that he does not want to regardless of what he says. My wife tried for years to get me to live a more healthy lifestyle to little or no avail. I made some efforts but did not kick into high gear until we are now looking at divorce. I am not recommending that tactic, by the way, and I am doing everything I can to save the marriage but it might be too late. Show him this thread and tell him I said that he should man up and start taking responsibility.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    At this point, it's something he probably really does *want* to do, but isn't willing to put forth the effort. Those are two entirely different things. My husband is diabetic, and *wanted* to do something about his weight, and I did too. We'd go on walks, and quickly discovered that we walk at different paces and with a different "sense of urgency" (how fast we ought to go).

Plus, in the weight category, I needed to lose a LOT more than he did. I started in April 2011. It was probably December of that year before he got on board. I didn't nag him, or try to initiate any sort of competition, because I'd had my family do that since I was 10 (I'm now 48), and I always hated it. I hated the meddling.

Even with the cholesterol, and high blood pressure, that may not have been enough for him to have that "rude awakening" yet. I was 376 pounds before I had mine.

Trust me. All you can do is focus on your journey. He will come along...but one thing is certain - it won't be according to anybody else's timeline but his. Be supportive and let him know when he's ready to actually do something about it, you're willing to help in any way you can.
  • cdn_beaver
    cdn_beaver Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I do most of the cooking so my husband eats healthier at home because of it. He'll also take leftovers to work most days as well. His problem is he'll eat more than he needs to or snack on food right after dinner even though he's not hungry. He works out 3 times a week so I'm not worried about his health. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.
    Have you tried going for after dinner walks? Keeps him away from food and gets in some exercise.
  • fitnessgoddess17
    fitnessgoddess17 Posts: 125 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Wow this community is so amazing! Thanks everyone for your advice, expeirence and perspective. We did go for walks when the weather was better. We have 3 kids and the youngest is 2 so during cold weather we can't be out too long. Although I know ten minutes is better than nothing. We should probably get doing that again. We eat out less than 5 times a year. Alcohol is a big issue for both of us. Him even more so, he has a hard time going more than a day without one. He does the dinner cooking, he says it helps him unwind from his day. So unfortunately I have no control there. You all had some really wonderful ideas that I'm going to try. Thank you! And best of luck Robertus, I've been through a divorce. It's tough, wishing you the best.
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    OK my wife and I are still doing our contest I won, February! but this month we are getting up at 4:30AM and working out together, Before work, we are rotating between Strength Exercise and PiYo workouts, with some other things in between and breaks. This I hope gets my wife on the workout kick for good :)
  • robw235
    robw235 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I did a search for a discussion thread like this one and was glad to have found it. I've been using MFP since the start of 2015 and have had some good success, to the point where I'm now about 27 lbs. below where I started. My wife wants to lose weight (and has significantly more to lose than I do) sees the progress I've been making, knows that this is working for me, yet she will not track calories. Compounding the problem, a current medical problem is making it hard for her to walk regularly for any length of time. She's frustrated, feeling like she's eating healthier (I do most of the cooking) and having smaller portions, but when she looks at how much she has to lose, it seems impossible to her. I've been supportive, encouraging and am only concerned about the long-term health consequences of her being over weight. I even offered to set up an account for her on here and track the calories for her. She wasn't interested. So, this is a long way of saying that I could use some suggestions on how to get her motivated to make the changes necessary to finally start losing weight and getting healthier as we approach our retirement years.
  • richellechouinard
    richellechouinard Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem-he talks the talk but won't walk the walk so to speak. I don't know how to motivate him, since I've always been the kind of girl who lets people be themselves and not nag about things. I think I may have to start the nag though-I don't want to wake up in the morning beside someone who's had a heart attack in the night-that's my main concern right now. I cook healthy meals every night, and he'll eat them, but there's no portion control at all. He'll also run across the street to the corner store and buy a bag of chips/box of cookies and eat them in one sitting. I'm having a hard enough time on my own staying motivated some days! So yes, advice and tips are appreciated!!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    My wife and I both need to drop some weight. I do all the cooking. We rarely eat out. All I can do is prepare healthy meals. I can't stop her from snacking, but I can lead by example. Some days I am a better example than others. Since we both do the grocery shopping together, we just avoid certain aisles. Chip and cracker aisles. Cookie aisle. We do most of our shopping around the perimeter of the store; where the fresh foods and less processed foods are located.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. My husband is probably 85 lbs. overweight (in the obese category) but he's a big guy so he doesn't look as heavy as he is. He is also diabetic and has a sedentary job (computer software development and project management). He has a gym at his workplace but will get up early enough to go only once a week for about 25 minutes, not anywhere near enough to compensate for 12-14 hours straight of sitting. His schedule is such that we can't take walks together. I control what we have at home because I do all the shopping and I don't bring any junk home and I make his lunches, but I can't control what he eats if he has late work nights. He's also on the board of Little League baseball and does some coaching, so he gets some light exercise there, but after the weekly board meetings they always go out to a bar to eat pub food and drink beer. I've found that I can only control the environment I live in, so that's what I've resigned myself to, so at least he's not eating chips and garbage while at home, and he doesn't have the time to go to the store and buy the stuff himself. I guess it's kind of like living an alcoholic. I don't have to keep the objectionable substance in the house, but the addict will always find a way to go out and get it.
  • LosingitinLondon
    LosingitinLondon Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Wow this thread is really interesting and useful.
    I’m having similar issues myself – partner says he wants to lose weight but does nothing about it. It’s getting incredibly frustrating. I’ve got to the stage where I just do my own thing and let him get on with his... For the first time in our (10 year) relationship a few months ago, I became thinner than him. Luckily I do most of the cooking, but he’ll often add rice or bread to his, and a few beers. Walking together has helped, and also encouraging him to find activity he enjoys, as he won’t ‘exercise’ (come running; go to the gym etc), but he really likes being outdoors so I found conservation schemes where you spend all day clearing foliage, digging etc!
  • TheRoseRoss
    TheRoseRoss Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    One way that it was put to me:

"Everyone wants it. Not everyone wants to work for it."

There are several things that you can try, but from personal experience with friends and family, he's not going to stick with it unless he wants to. You can do something to get it started, but that initial spark only "gets" you going, it doesn't "keep" you going. I have tried:

- "Let's do it together! Everyone loves a little friendly competition."

That failed because "everyone loves a little friendly competition," until they feel as though they're losing. Then they get discouraged and quit. I've even seen "leading by example" fail. One person begins to get in shape, and the other chooses to wallow in self pity:

- You're starting to look so good. I know you're going to leave me for some hottie at the gym because I'm so fat and lazy.
    - Why don't you come to the gym with me? Let's get in shape together.
    - Nah. I'd rather stay here feeling sorry for myself, and hope for the best.

This is that old "lead a horse to water" adage, I'm afraid. For me, it was seeing a friend after 4 years, that was skinnier than me when he moved across country, and I was rail thin. 4 years later, the guy looked like a body builder. Then and there I decided "if he can do it, I can do it," and I've been at it ever since. I think the best that you can hope for is to continue on your path, and hope he eventually gets spurred into action. If/when he does, you will be there to say "awesome! Let's do it together!"