Does everyone eat breakfast?

Options
13»

Replies

• eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I'm a breakfast eater. I wasn't until I got pregnant with my oldest and then not eating breakfast made my morning sickness so much worse. Now if I don't eat breakfast I find that around 10 I'm STARVING and make a not so healthy choice.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is definitely important, but eating 600+ calories is bordering irresponsible.

I had 615 this morning. hahaha!!! It was awesome too.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    wouldn't skip it! but then Im always hungry lol
  • mesey
    mesey Posts: 4
    Options
    Unless I wake up at lunch or snack time then yep I always do.
    I couldn't get through school without breakfast.lol.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Heck yes! breakfast is VERY important!
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is definitely important, but eating 600+ calories is bordering irresponsible.

I had 615 this morning. hahaha!!! It was awesome too.

My digestive system and appetite seem to like a routine - whatever that routine may be - and can be thrown off by any significant deviation from my usual habits. And that seems to be particularly true of breakfast. I would expect much the same result from abruptly tripling the size of my breakfast from the current ~200 calories to 600+ calories as from skipping the meal entirely: I'd have to fight my appetite to keep my calorie total within bounds for the day.
  • alexairey
    alexairey Posts: 11
    Options
    yeh, fills me up from 7-half 10
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist (who is also my father) says breakfast is critical. It kick starts your metabolism for the day. In fact, you should eat a large breakfast (of healthy foods) if you can. There is a corny phrase he uses: eat like a king in the morning, a prince in the afternoon, and a pauper in the evening. Your meals should start out larger and get smaller throughout the day, as you have less time to burn it off and your body is gearing down for the night.

I totally understand some people feel nauseous if they try to eat in the morning. Start small and light and see if you can work your way up. You don't have to have bacon and eggs, try just fruit to start,. then maybe work up to adding toast. And ultimately something like fruit plus steel cut oatmeal is optimal.
  • Ezada
    Ezada Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have to, when I wake up my stomach is usually growling because I don't eat after 8pm. I eat about an hour after I wake up because I have hyperthyroidism and have to take a pill every morning an hour before I eat. If I don't eat I am tired and crabby all day long. It seriously impacts my mood and my energy level throughout the whole day.

Normally I eat a protein, vegetable and bread. My total calories is rarely over 250 and that includes my coffee with low cal creamer. I am a snacker, I eat small meals and snacks all through the day. I have found that works the best for me, keeps my calories down and gives me a huge sense of satisfaction.

I am not sure what study showed that eating breakfast is not important, that might be true for some people but not for all. Everyone is different and rather than go with a study people should either experiment with what works for them or talk to a nutritionalist or a doctor.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I never eat breakfast only coffee. I have had no problem loosing. I think everyone is different. You have to do what works for you.

You can consider coffee as your breakfast. You are putting something on your stomach. We are talking about people who don't do anything but get up and go. Now test your theory by not drinking coffee for about two weeks in the morning if you can. I would like to see if there is any difference in your weight loss.
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    i cant really eat in the mornings either. well.... like not before 9:30-10am.
    then I only have either half a cup of yogurt or a hardboiled egg and some kinda milky beverage
  • brph26
    brph26 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I never eat breakfast only coffee. I have had no problem loosing. I think everyone is different. You have to do what works for you.

I totally agree...and am the same way. The only time I eat breakfast is on special occasions like today when we had something at work, etc. I have always been like this, even back in high school and that is going on 12 years. I have lost 16lbs since February so I must be doing something right! :wink:
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    If I don't eat breakfast I am really sluggish and cranky in the morning, so it works for me.
    Obviously everyone's body is different and responds differently, so I don't think it's "required" for weight loss, but for some people it helps to stay structured and on track. For those of you who say eating in the AM makes you sick--keep in mind, it's "breaking a fast"...just because this particular meal is advertised a certain way does not mean you HAVE to eat cereal, oatmeal, eggs, bacon, whatever one considers "breakfast" foods. Personally, I love cereal with fruit or oatmeal and yogurt in the AM, but you could just as easily eat a piece of string cheese, a vegetable, a piece of chicken or something else less "breakfast-like".
  • cesctheman
    cesctheman Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Sometimes. I eat breakfast for the sake of it and everyone always says breakfast, it's the most important meal of the day.
    But I have stopped eating it , I still eat all my calories and I think it is helping me shed some weight. So don't believe all that you hear.
  • jnite
    jnite Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    DO WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU!!!!
    I never eat breakfast, just a coffee and sometimes not even that. I have found that those times that I have made myself eat breakfast I am starving the whole day and overeat, when I don't eat breakfast I am rarely starving and rarely over eat. I have lost 13.5 pounds not eating breakfast and this is how I will continue. I figure you have to do what you will stick with and if you know you won't stick with doing it why bother?
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Well, technically, everyone who EATS eats breakfast. Even if you wait until noon and call it "lunch," it's you "breaking your fast."

I can't eat right when I wake up. I have coffee with milk (1/4 cup of milk in each mug), which gives me a little something in my tummy, and then an hour or so later, I'm ready for a granola bar or whatever, something small. So, that's my breakfast or my coffee / snack.

Now that I'm not working a full-time job anymore, I often sleep until 9 or 9:30, which means I'm eating my "breakfast" around 10 or 10:30. I'm having to adjust my whole schedule a bit. I used to ALWAYS be at work by 9, which meant I would eat my breakfast around 8, snack around 9:30, and lunch around 11. So, now I'm barely finishing my breakfast at the time that I used to have lunch.

So, I guess my meal names are irrelevant at this point, esp. wrt the clock. I should just change them to "first meal," "second meal," etc.
  • heather0709
    heather0709 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I need to start eating breakfast just dont know what to eat :(
  • heather0709
    heather0709 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    For many people, skipping breakfast results in feeling low energy and bingeing later in the day. It does not "jumpstart" your metabolism, but it does help keep blood sugar more even and can prevent the 'afternoon crash".

Also, for many skipping breakfast can make reaching macro goals (protein/fat/carb) difficult, because the cals aren't spread throughout the day.

Eating breakfast has made ALL the difference for me - I no longer snack all afternoon evening.

Awesome totally makes sense to me :)