My addiction to fast food

Pepperoni pizza slices, McDonalds breakfast sandwiches, chili and subway meatball subs are my weakness. I try and resist and everytme I'm successfully losing weight it's these items that bring me back to my old unhealthy ways.

This morning I went to McD's drive through for a coffee and was accidentally handed a coffee along with a bag of 2 sausage mcmuffins. Before I knew it I have eaten them both! Off to the gym tonight to make up for it and hope (with my app) I can stay within my daily limits.

Why is this so hard?!

Thanks for reading :)

Replies

• rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Pre-plan your days, punch it into MFP, and make your food ahead of time, so you aren't tempted to stop somewhere quick.

If the food is already in MFP, and ready to eat at home/in your bag, you won't feel the need to pop by McD's.
  • fluffymommy11
    fluffymommy11 Posts: 37 Member
    I know the feeling. I have been going out to fast food at least 3 times a week, and i am trying to back off. My husband still goes mondays wednesdays fridays and on the weekends so resisting does get hard. I personally try to pre plan and come up with motivational quotes to go to in my time of weakness.
  • GTRguy
    GTRguy Posts: 45 Member
    rand486 wrote: »
    Pre-plan your days, punch it into MFP, and make your food ahead of time, so you aren't tempted to stop somewhere quick.

If the food is already in MFP, and ready to eat at home/in your bag, you won't feel the need to pop by McD's.
    Wow, pre-entering my meals in MFP, that's brilliant. I will do that. One bad habit I can't kick is my morning dark roast coffee at the drive through. I won't buy anything else, and I take my Java with 2% milk only. I'm always good with it but just this morning that demon in the window handed me the free mcmuffins. Argh.
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Coffee is nearly caffeine free, and 2% milk is hardly a "dirty" food.

Enjoy your calorie-free metabolism boost. I probably have 3-4 coffees a day haha.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    edited January 2015
    I still can eat fast food and stay within my calorie limit.

The issue is that your macro's suffer and it is high fat, sodium, and sugar most of the time and not nutrient dense. So not the healthiest approach to weight loss.

I am not "giving up" anything. It just makes me want it more. Maybe later, but I am not ready. I call it taking a "break" instead of "giving it up".

Part of it is a mind game.

• Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    I will tell you what I was told when I posted about this precise topic.

You can eat these foods. They have the nutritional values online and you can pre log what you want to eat. The point is not to deprive yourself completely, you can still enjoy them as long as you can fit them into your daily calories. The important part is the calorie deficit, and you can still lose weight.

:)
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited January 2015
    In my 20s , I was pretty much a lacto-ouvo vegetarian and never ate fast food. I was 185 lbs. about 10-12% bf.

Fast forward 20 years later and now I eat fast food occasionally and some turkey in addition to fish and seafood. Currently 200 lbs. 11% bf.

Nothing wrong with fast food. Just make it fit and share the extra next time - some of us are bulking you know.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    1. love your user name (assuming youre referring to the band).
    2. youre not addicted man, you just really like it. i happen to like it too, so imho the best approach is to not eliminate it, but instead allow it in moderation while still meeting your calorie and macro needs.

flex that will power bro. you can find a happy medium.
  • JenW70503
    JenW70503 Posts: 22 Member
    I always pre-plan my day. We had fast food last night (busy day and I didn't get home in time to start dinner--the kids get unruly if it's not on the table by 6 and we didn't get home until well after 5) and I was able to stay within my calories...I just eat less; half a burger and fries, or just the meat and no bread, one slice of pizza, etc. I don't eat out every day, but if I know it'll be a day where we're eating out (date nights, for example) I plan exactly where we will go and what I will eat, and then punch in the numbers and find good choices for the rest of the day so I don't blow it. I find that if I hold myself accountable before I even step foot out of the house, I make better choices because I don't want to waste 1000 of my 1250 calories on one meal at a restaurant or a bag of takeout. It's a lot easier to know ahead of time what you're doing to your stats for the day than to log it later and realize you screwed up.
  • occultllama
    occultllama Posts: 31 Member
    Why are you going to McDonalds for coffee when you know you can't resist their food? Get up 10mins earlier and make one at home. You can put it in a travel mug and drink it on the way to wherever you are going if you have to. Or just stop at a normal coffee shop, you'll get a decent coffee that way too.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    edited January 2015
    Why are you going to McDonalds for coffee when you know you can't resist their food? Get up 10mins earlier and make one at home. You can put it in a travel mug and drink it on the way to wherever you are going if you have to. Or just stop at a normal coffee shop, you'll get a decent coffee that way too.

^^THIS.
    I make Dunkin Donuts coffee at home and it takes 3 minutes and tastes so much better. I just add 2% milk and honey, or some hot chocolate mix.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited January 2015
    Why are you going to McDonalds for coffee when you know you can't resist their food? Get up 10mins earlier and make one at home.
    This and since the OP likes dark coffee...

krg-lg-b48.png

Just got one a few months ago and I'm in love love love.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Why are you going to McDonalds for coffee when you know you can't resist their food? Get up 10mins earlier and make one at home.
    This and since the OP likes dark coffee...

krg-lg-b48.png

Just got one a few months ago and I'm in love love love.

^^ this I saved so much money using a reusable K-cup and making my coffee at home.

OP: What may help you break the cycle of going for fast food is to write out everything you would normally get when your out... tally it up and see how much money you have spent going out to eat. That's what helped me not go out anymore.
  • GTRguy
    GTRguy Posts: 45 Member
    Love this community and the advice. You people are amazing.

I actually have a Tassimo and love it, but for some reason really love hitting the drive through in the mornings. No reason to do this, so I'll do as some have suggested and just make a cup before heading out the door. Maybe a part of me is a masochist and just enjoy the torture of the McD smell wafting through the drive through window.

So far on my journey I am below my daily caloric budget (even on the day I had two mcmuffins) so I'm pleased.

I'm also touched by the words of encouragement (especially the ones about me not being addicted).

Cheers and have a great Friday all.