Lost 20 so far just eating healthy!

Options
i just had a baby almost 7 weeks ago and right after I gave birth I weighed 175. The heaviest in my LIFE! I know, I know it's not that much compared to some other people out there but it really bothered me since I'm usually about 140-150. In 6 weeks (2 with myfitnesspal) I've already lost 20 lbs. Breastfeeding helped with the first 10 which melted off in about 2 weeks and then it stopped... Now I'm eating heathy and doing some light exercises (walking, sit ups, lugging 10 extra pounds of baby around all the time

Replies

• ProjectEm
    ProjectEm Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Way to go!
  • oliveoil87
    oliveoil87 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    That's amazing!! Did you have an exercise plan? How many calorie were you taking ?
  • ChelseaRideout
    ChelseaRideout Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    No exercise plan really. I went for a 10-15 min walk once a week maybe and did a few sit ups when I felt like it. Going to try to increase that to burn fat. My intake averages about 1400 calories a day (since I got MFP) I try to eat a lot of fruits and veggies. I have a hard time getting enough protein and keeping down my sodium, sugar and fat (in that order) lol
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Good job! :mrgreen:
    (In order to fit in protein, skip one or two of the fruits and add some nuts or yogurt/cottage cheese to your day. Do not worry about the sodium. Fat is good. Sugar is high-ish because MFP counts fruit as sugar. Ignore that if you want.)
  • haganandanna
    haganandanna Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi. Has your milk supply/quality been affected? I'm also breastfeeding and since counting food intake I think my milk quality is poorer as my 3month old was sleeping through the night but now wakes twice a night :(
  • haganandanna
    Options
    And breast feeding makes me sooooo hungry!
  • VanessaRudden
    VanessaRudden Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Keep up with it youre doing great, Im eating healthy but not losing weight - but im happy. Good Luck to you!
  • ChelseaRideout
    Options
    Hi. Has your milk supply/quality been affected? I'm also breastfeeding and since counting food intake I think my milk quality is poorer as my 3month old was sleeping through the night but now wakes twice a night :(

My supply has been the same. I'd assume the quality is better cause I'm eating a more well rounded diet with more vitamins and nutrients. All I ate before was junk frozen crap cause it was easy to make. Baby's gas and fussiness has dropped significantly!
  • haganandanna
    Options

My supply has been the same. I'd assume the quality is better cause I'm eating a more well rounded diet with more vitamins and nutrients. All I ate before was junk frozen crap cause it was easy to make. Baby's gas and fussiness has dropped significantly!

That's great :) I think if I don't snack it affects my supply.
  • ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Great! :D
  • Ashleyhap
    Options
    You are doing awesome! I just started and I had a baby three months ago. While breastfeeding, a woman shouldn't go below 1800 calories a day so as not to effect breast milk supply. Also make sure you're getting healthy fats like whole milk or Greek yogurt. Don't go with low fat things, your baby needs that fat. Also be careful at this time because you are just establishing a good supply in month two of breastfeeding, they day usually wait to cut calories till after the 8 week Mark. Losing the weight is great but make sure you are getting all you need for you and baby to have optimal health
  • imabeevampire
    imabeevampire Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Well done! I wish I had started when I had my little one. Almost four years on I've decided to finally do something about it. Good luck with the rest! Make sure you eat enough tho to keep up your strength!
  • desert_mom
    desert_mom Posts: 91 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    They say you need 500 calories a day extra to make milk (assuming baby is not eating solids or being supplemented with formula), so if you eat at your maintenance level or a little above and just breastfeed, you should lose a pound or two a week. I really miss bfing for that reason, lol! It was a lot easier (for me) to lose then than it is now that my youngest is 4.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    For any of you mamas that EP, you need 20-30 extra calories per ounces of pumped milk per day.
  • ChelseaRideout
    Options
    I account for BFing. Right now I'm taking in ~1500 cal a day. My supply seems to be doing good so far. If I go over my set intake I don't fret cause I eat when I am hungry and what I eat is generally very heathy and well rounded.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!