Salmon Ideas

Options
sd101483
sd101483 Posts: 419 Member
LOVE salmon but getting bored with it. I often eat it with lemon pepper seasoning and veggies or jerk seasoning with mango salsa and sweet potatoes...any ideas for me in how else to prepare it or some sort of healthy dish to create?

Thanks!

Replies

• JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I love salmon.....
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i top it with sweet chilly :D
    then usually have it with runner beans
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    cover it in grain mustard and then sprinkle on some brown sugar and bake it.
  • scutes
    scutes Posts: 13
    Options
    Maple syrup and cajun spice are good on salmon.
  • myowncrazycool
    myowncrazycool Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Bake it in Italian salad dressing, or Broil it with chipotle seasoning
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I put mustard on mine and either grill or bake it and serve it with homemade couscous & peas (YUM!)

I've also spritzed mine with Olive Oil, sliced lemon & garlic, wrapped in foil and bake or grill (serve with side salad).

There's a few different ways you can dress it up - that blackened recipe sounds ROCKIN! Maple syrup & cajun spice...wow, I HAVE to try that! :)
  • vanfox23
    vanfox23 Posts: 110
    Options
    I make it in a foil packet with a little bit of butter, some lemon juice and sprinkled with dill. Close up packet and bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Fish tacos!
    Cook the salmon like you normally do, adding spicy cajun or Mexican-style seasoning. Cut it up and put it in taco or burrito shells with salsa, beans, and lettuce.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I love salmon any way I can get it. But my go-to-so-good-I-wanna-smack-somebody recipe is this one from Alton Brown:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/broiled-sockeye-salmon-with-citrus-glaze-recipe/index.html
  • Jeffreycdp
    Jeffreycdp Posts: 2
    Options
    I like to sear it so it gets a little crispy and mix up some non-fat yogurt, fresh lemon or lime juice and some type of fresh herb...dill and cilantro has been my go to. I also bought some hickory chips to throw on the heating element of my grill and made a grilled/smoked salmon. I mix ketchup, malt vinegar, chili powder and a kiss of honey for a BBQ sauce. Last night was Salmon Fish Taco night with Sarachi, red cabbage slaw, cilantro, cucumber, pickled onions (cut up an onion in thin slices and throw it in the pickle jar after your last pickle...AWESOME!) and jalapeno's.

JP
  • loro1971
    loro1971 Posts: 135
    Options
    *sprinkle brown sugar and low sodium soy sauce... broil delicious!
    * brown sugar and curry powder
    *blackened with thin slices of tomatoes
    * there is this stuff called chardust.. they sell it in bigger stores(ours is giant eagle) they have flavors like cajun... hickory... teriyaki.;;ginger i dont mix the oil in i just sprinkle it on the fish or meat and spray olive oil pam on it and grill
    * fresh herbs like dill with lemon or coriander/cumin and salsa
    *fresh lemons/oranges and sea salt and fresh pepper
    *sirachi or garlic chili sauce:smile:
    i like to make extra salmon and flake it up and eat cold on salad or on bagels with cream cheese...
  • pyroxian
    pyroxian Posts: 99
    Options
    Maple/Soy glazed like this: http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/10/Grilled-Salmon
    Or I'll do that recipe but squeeze in the juice from one lime along with the soy and maple syrup.... this process does not work well for indoor cooking, but on the grill it's amazing.
  • swinginchandra
    swinginchandra Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    On of my favorite salmon dishes is lightly seared, and then baked on a bed of spinach, topped with a grape / wine sauce - grilled whole grapes, etc.

You can google for the sauce recipe, but it's really light, healthy, and so delicious

Another of my favorites is salmon topped with a cashew chipotle sauce - goes along well with stir-fried veggies, and garnished with avocado.

Butter lime sauce, with a huge honking piece of broccoli on the side is pretty awesome - I make salmon for holidays instead of turkey, and then I'll add some mashed potatoes in as well.

pineapple teriyaki sauce garnished with a grilled pineapple slice!
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    Maple/Soy glazed like this: http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/10/Grilled-Salmon
    Or I'll do that recipe but squeeze in the juice from one lime along with the soy and maple syrup.... this process does not work well for indoor cooking, but on the grill it's amazing.

I use a recipe similar to the one above from the now-defunct Surreal Gourmet from Food Network - the main difference is that you dust one side in coursely crushed black pepper before grilling

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/the-surreal-gourmet/pepper-crusted-maple-glazed-salmon-recipe/index.html

Great on the grill, but if I make it in winter in the oven, sometimes the sugar content from the maple syrup trips off my smoke alarm!
  • sd101483
    sd101483 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Oh, my...these all sound WONDERFUL! I see a lot more salmon in my future!

Thanks!
  • NoPyForYou
    NoPyForYou Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    bump! lots of good ideas here!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Similar to some of the others, but I marinate the salmon in a mixture of soy sauce, ginger and splenda - it glazes similar to sugar without the calories. I bake this in the oven at 350 for about 15 minutes.

I was probably in my late teens before I ever got to try "real" salmon. I grew up on salmon patties - basically use canned salmon to make meatballs which are flattened and cooked on the stove top.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I love salmon any way I can get it. But my go-to-so-good-I-wanna-smack-somebody recipe is this one from Alton Brown:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/broiled-sockeye-salmon-with-citrus-glaze-recipe/index.html

Thanks for posting this recipe. I've been looking for a good salmon glaze and I have such a TV crush on Alton Brown. I should have thought to search his recipes. Nothing I've ever made with his recipes has even been bad.
  • lil_lynz
    lil_lynz Posts: 8
    Options
    Mash up some low fat feta cheese, finely cut spring onions and some garlic puree. Bake the salmon on its own, wrapped in foil for 15 mins, then take it out, top it with the feta mix and grill it for 5 mins. Serve with rice and salad