Runners...Need a little help please :)

Options
KBurkhardt08
KBurkhardt08 Posts: 141 Member
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello,
I started running a few months ago with the C25K app and finished it. Hallelujah! Then continued running cause well now I kind of have a habit. Which is great. I can do three miles straight but I have run into a problem...when I run on a track or outside..my knees hurt really bad, like sharp pains underneath my knee cap. But when I run on a treadmill they hurt, but no where near as bad. Any ideas whats going on? Should I take a break for a little while? I just don't really know much about running and injuries and things.

Replies

• benpoepen
    benpoepen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Same problem here after a leg surgery and normal running shoes and heavy weight.

My solution was minimalistic shoes and barefoot running technique http://zenhabits.net/barefoot-running/
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Runner's knee! Everybody loves runner's knee.

First, how long have you had the shoes you're running in? I know it's time to replace shoes when my knees and ankles start to hurt.

I do strengthening and flexibility exercises. They work, on the principle that most lower-leg problems for runners are really the result of problems in the hips and core.

Also, a good guideline for runner's knee is, for every day that it hurts, take one day off for it to heal.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Be careful getting diagnosed via the web... chances are it'll come back as a brain tumor or something similarly horrible (and unlikely). If it's bad enough to make you think something might be wrong (as opposed to just an ache/pain related to exertion), then it's probably worth getting looked at.
  • KBurkhardt08
    Options
    Well I'll be honest...my shoes are crap. I got them at Ross for like $30 or something about 6 months ago. I plan on buying good shoes but I was really waiting for my tax money to come in.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend getting an assessment by a physiotherapist in your area to determine the problem first. It could be runner's knee, or it could be something totally different, such as weak glutes or tight hips. Determine the problem first, THEN solicit advice on a solution.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Well I'll be honest...my shoes are crap. I got them at Ross for like $30 or something about 6 months ago. I plan on buying good shoes but I was really waiting for my tax money to come in.
    Start with the shoes. Get some good shoes. They make a HUGE difference in how much you'll enjoy running. I mean if you want to enjoy running that is.

Secondly do some stretches for your IT band. Try out your Google-FU. There's a good bit of information about this and it's really common.

ETA: Ease up or at least keep doing what irritates it the least until it gets better.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I experienced runners knee. Went to a physical therapist, got new shoes, doing hip strengthening exercises, hams, glutes, etc. I feel much better, but haven't had the opportunity to run outside again (which is the real test for me).

I would get it looked at, and take it easy.

Just as a side note, I know running shoes are expensive, but that's one area you don't want to skimp. Prevents injuries, which in turn will save you money down the road. And nothing is more irritating than catching the running bug and then getting sidelined by injury. (from my personal experience).
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Sounds like you know the most likely problem, but it might be something else.

That said, the knee is a very complex joint so I'd personally recommend a Doctor or Physio
  • KBurkhardt08
    Options
    Well it seems like the most popular is solution is shoes..and then possibly seeing a doctor. Shoes first and then doctor if theres still a problem :) Thanks everyone.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I would start with the doctor. But definitely get new shoes before you run again.
  • Cave_Goose
    Cave_Goose Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I started running with the C25K app too! I'm now training for my first Marathon using zenlabs Marathon app.

I respectfully disagree with benpoepen about minalmist shoes. Vibram just settled a massive class action law suit for "unsubstantiated claims about the health benefits of its glove-like footwear." http://www.runnersworld.com/general-interest/vibram-agrees-to-settle-class-action-lawsuit

First, make sure you have the right shoes with the right fit & arch support. You should go to a dedicated running store and have them help you with this. Shoes off the rack at a sports store are a bad investment.

Second, what may be Runner's Knee may be something else. Turns out I have arthritis in both my knees. The shoes I was wearing was aggrivating my condition. Properly fitted shoes & daily stretching solved all my pains (Well, all my knee pain.). I'd try the new shoes first. If that doesn't help after a few runs, then check with a doctor.
  • logicalinks
    logicalinks Posts: 89 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If your pain is really bad, definitely seek a physician's advice. That being said, you did ask for advice, so I'm giving you my opinion because I was also in your "shoes." (See what I did there? :)

Back in my 20s & 30s, I ran a good bit, and over time, my knees suffered exactly the kind of pain you're describing... under the kneecap. I finally had to quit running because of it.

Recently, after losing about 30 lbs, I really wanted to try running again, so I read everything I could about "how to run without pain" before I even started the C25K program. And what helped me immensely was changing my form from running with a heel strike to a mid-foot strike. It took time and really concentrating on my form for weeks and weeks, but it's worked!

On Jan. 1, I ran a 5K in 28:31, and on January 31, I will run my first half marathon! This past Saturday, I ran 11.5 miles with no knee pain at all at a 11:31/mile pace. Now while that's not fast, it's pretty good for a 53-year-old woman who just picked up running again last August! (And I run in $40 Saucony's. Amazon puts their shoes on sale pretty regularly.) The only reason I mention my pace is because those times are faster and more efficient that I ever ran as a heel striker, even though I was significantly younger.

Others may disagree, but I'm just telling you what worked for me. First, getting rid of some weight, and second, changing my form to a mid-foot strike. Good luck with finding a solution to your pain!!
  • KBurkhardt08
    Options
    If your pain is really bad, definitely seek a physician's advice. That being said, you did ask for advice, so I'm giving you my opinion because I was also in your "shoes." (See what I did there? :)

Back in my 20s & 30s, I ran a good bit, and over time, my knees suffered exactly the kind of pain you're describing... under the kneecap. I finally had to quit running because of it.

Recently, after losing about 30 lbs, I really wanted to try running again, so I read everything I could about "how to run without pain" before I even started the C25K program. And what helped me immensely was changing my form from running with a heel strike to a mid-foot strike. It took time and really concentrating on my form for weeks and weeks, but it's worked!

On Jan. 1, I ran a 5K in 28:31, and on January 31, I will run my first half marathon! This past Saturday, I ran 11.5 miles with no knee pain at all at a 11:31/mile pace. Now while that's not fast, it's pretty good for a 53-year-old woman who just picked up running again last August! (And I run in $40 Saucony's. Amazon puts their shoes on sale pretty regularly.) The only reason I mention my pace is because those times are faster and more efficient that I ever ran as a heel striker, even though I was significantly younger.

Others may disagree, but I'm just telling you what worked for me. First, getting rid of some weight, and second, changing my form to a mid-foot strike. Good luck with finding a solution to your pain!!

Ya I'm definitely working on the weight thing. I've lost 15 pounds in a little over a month so I'm finally getting control of that. I feel like the running probably helped. I havent paid a whole lot of attention to where my foot strikes. If I had to pick something I would probably say heel. I was told that it didn't really matter where your foot was hitting though.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I built up my glutes to help my knees. It worked. Now I have a great butt which is never a bad thing.

And yeah, get better shoes.
  • runner359
    runner359 Posts: 90 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Take a break for a couple weeks. Get running shoes from a running store. If when you start to run again the pain is still there, then and only then, its time to see a doctor. I'd bet the farm its your shoes.

And by doctor I don't mean your GP.
  • Yakelmeyer
    Yakelmeyer Posts: 49 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'd recommend getting an assessment by a physiotherapist in your area to determine the problem first. It could be runner's knee, or it could be something totally different, such as weak glutes or tight hips. Determine the problem first, THEN solicit advice on a solution.

This is great advice. A professional will be able to diagnose the issue (I use my PT), and the solution could be as simple as streching the hips or IT; or it could be more complicated.

I have also found the mid foot strike really helped my pain level versus the heel strike I used to do.

Either way, as a runner - which you are - invest in good shoes. All shoes have a life span. I just hit up the Nike outlet and snagged some $180 sneakers for $80. They are worth every penny.

Happy trails!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Agreed with others get checked out by a doctor. Also, running shoes are not an area in my opinion you can skimp on if you plan on running long distances. Before getting shoes (all running shoes are not created equal and not all models are made for everyone) get a stride analysis done at a local running store that specializes in running.

Good luck!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

tumblr_m26m39HnYq1qkp1kvo1_500.png

Get thee to a running store and have a proper shoe fitting.

I suffered from knee issues when working out my entire life - until I was fit for a proper running shoe. Now it's plain sailing, at least until the shoes start to age.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely start with new shoes. The right shoe can erase a lot of little aches and pains. I can usually tell when my shoes need to be replaced because I start to feel small shooting pains in my knees.

Changing your strike or your gait if that isn't the real problem could just compound things. There aren't any differences in the long-term injury rates between forefoot, midfoot, and heel strikers. Some people heel strike and that is cool. Its just one component of your overall mechanics. its more important that you get the right shoe for you (regardless of whether it is minimalist, traditional, or a hybrid).

So if you hear hooves, think horses, not zebras. And remember that no one can really diagnose your problem over the internet.

• rrowdiness
    rrowdiness Posts: 119 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    chances are it'll come back as a brain tumor or something similarly horrible

I'm pretty sure most runners are partially lobotomised, or at least have the common sense centres removed from their frontal cortex*....I mean, how else do you explain the 5am outdoor winter weekday sessions?

*myself included