Barefoot running shoes for knee injury ?

Options
Hi guys,
I've had a knee injury for about 9 months now. I've had an MRI, seen a physio, seen an osteopath, etc. No one found a source to the injury or a way to fix it.
I got a little sick of not working out with pressure on my knees (it does limit what you can do, even though you can do loads). So I ran a couple of weeks ago. Terrible idea.

So I decided to see the osteopath again who figured that my knee hurts because of my foot. My foot is not doing what its suppose to ie balancing my body. Apparently, my knees seem to be balancing my body more than they should, hence my ligaments and tendons hurting. The doc said I should workout (NO IMPACT !!) barefoot because then my feet wont have the support they usually have and will have to be "used" more. I have to strap my knee to stop it from making the extra effort. That plus lindo boarding a little.

So I was wondering if anyone had bought barefoot shoes to help with an injury and did it help ? They're quite expensive but sales are on in France.
I'm thinking of going for Vibram shoes.

I simply can't go to the gym barefoot, it's fine doing so at home but not in a gym !!

Thanks for your help !

Replies

• CharleneMarie723
    CharleneMarie723 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have Nike Free 4.0s and it has helped tremendously with knee pain because it forces me to not be a heel striker. Give it a go I guess.
  • Snowman1374
    Snowman1374 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Cloube,
    It depends on what type on injury you have in your knee. If it is a tendonopathy then changing your walking and running style will definitely help. I have had many tendon injuries over the last ten years with running and training for half marathons. Three years ago, I did my research and change to "barefoot" style shoes, and also did research on walking and running mechanics with those types of shoes and I have not had an injury since. It does take some getting used to that is for sure, but it's better to be sore for a few days than injured for a few weeks.

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Try wearing water socks. They are barefoot shoes that are under $10, from any sports supply store (not shoe stores). If they help, you can buy the Vibrams if you want. Also wear barefoot shoes all day if possible.. not just at the gym.

Water socks:

P6bb2fN.jpg

What exercises will you do at the gym?
  • Polywoggs
    Polywoggs Posts: 33 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I use vibram 5 fingers and not only has it helped my running & impact on my knees but I also had back-relief. It takes allot of getting used to and if anything- you'll learn how to walk/run, properly. Heel-to-toe can (eventually) cause allot of damage to your foot (if you think knee pain hurts, wait til Plantar Fasciitis kicks in- no bueno!). -Go for it. It's like a BIG HUG! lol
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Not to start a "minimalist vs. traditional running shoe" argument here but there's been some debunking of the whole "minimalist shoes and barefoot running are better for you" hype. Vibram has settled a class action lawsuit because its claimed benefits are alleged to be false: https://www.fivefingerssettlement.com/. It's not one of those "everyone gets 50 cents" type of lawsuits, either. From the settlement site: "it is reasonable to expect that Class Members may receive a payment in the range of $20 to $50 per pair, which could increase (up to the approximate average retail price of $94) or decrease depending on various factors, including the number of valid claims." Vibram isn't saying it made false claims but they also agreed to settle, so.....

That said, your issue is a bit different and I'm sure that walking in shoes that mimic barefoot walking will benefit you as your doctor says. I second the water shoe for starting out. You can find them pretty cheaply. If they provide some benefit you can decide if you want to plunk down the money for a pair of Vibrams but don't think you need to buy them because they are some cure-all for foot problems. :)
  • cioube
    cioube Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for your answers !
    I think I wasnt precise enough in my initial message : I'm overweight. My knees are not straight (X shaped legs, but only slightly). I have very muscly legs according to all the doctors. But I'm overweight and therefor putting a lot of strain on my knees.

I have been told to avoid running all together until my weight is down (Im 97kg and aiming for 70). I was also told to avoid any impact sports until I can feel that my knee is better, which should take a good month if I'm following the osteopath's guidelines.
    So my sport now and until my knee is better is TRX (lots of it), walking, cycling, and elliptical bike. It's my heel that is considered a little lazy, ie it doesnt tip from side to side to keep my balance.

So the shoes aren't for running (yet), but really for forcing my foot (feet) and heel(s) to work as they should.

I might give the water socks a go to see !

However my ultimate goal is to start running again because I enjoyed it while I could :)
  • cioube
    Options
    Oh and it's really tendinitis I have. Far more in the right knee. Left knee is "alright".
  • runner359
    runner359 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Why not try real barefoot running? Its free. Lots of folks swear by it. Google a guy named Barefoot Rick. He's sort of an icon in the barefoot running world.
  • Polywoggs
    Polywoggs Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Your inquiries are off to a good start. Vibrams aren't the type of shoe for EVERYbody- but neither are high-heels. I've used court-shoes for running (bad choice) and running shoes for hiking (again, bad choice). I recommend getting fit for the type of shoe you need- one that won't mask one problem, while creating another.
    - My 2cents- water socks are for frolicking at the beach- not sure if using them w/TRX is the best idea. If you do go that route, add socks for extra foot support/padding. :) *Word of caution for Vibrams & Water Socks- not much (if any) ankle support.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    This might interest anyone thinking of "barefoot running" shoes......

runnersworld.com/general-interest/vibram-agrees-to-settle-class-action-lawsuithttp://
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    cioube wrote: »
    I think I wasnt precise enough in my initial message : I'm overweight. My knees are not straight (X shaped legs, but only slightly). I have very muscly legs according to all the doctors. But I'm overweight and therefor putting a lot of strain on my knees.

According to your ticker, you've got about 70 kg to drop -- that's a crapload of stress on your joints, no matter how strong the supporting muscles are. I'd stick to low-impact activities (biking, elliptical, swimming) for your health while your calorie deficit drops your weight. As some point in the future you can ease into strength training, and higher-impact activities.
  • cioube
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    According to your ticker, you've got about 70 kg to drop -- that's a crapload of stress on your joints, no matter how strong the supporting muscles are. I'd stick to low-impact activities (biking, elliptical, swimming) for your health while your calorie deficit drops your weight. As some point in the future you can ease into strength training, and higher-impact activities.

Hi, no I have 30kg to lose ! That's 66lbs. I don't think I'd even be able to do more than walking with 70kg ...
    I've been working out regularly for over a year now, I just havent been consistent with food here and there.

This might interest anyone thinking of "barefoot running" shoes......

runnersworld.com/general-interest/vibram-agrees-to-settle-class-action-lawsuithttp://

Americans love lawsuits. That's the reputation in european countries. This kind of article makes me giggle. They shouldnt have made false claims that's for sure.

I will def try barefoot running when my knee is better. Meanwhile, I'm going to give working out barefoot a try to see if that helps. I'm reading articles here and there about the benefits on the knees. The osteopath said that no ankle support is what I need. I wear high sneakers daily and that's not good for foot flexibility .. !

• hill8570
    Options
    cioube wrote: »

Hi, no I have 30kg to lose ! That's 66lbs. I don't think I'd even be able to do more than walking with 70kg ...
    I've been working out regularly for over a year now, I just havent been consistent with food here and there.

My bad...gotta work on my reading comprehension. Still, I've never been able to run without injury unless I was within 10 kg or so of a reasonable goal weight. You might be made of tougher stuff than I (not difficult), but still, I'd hold off the high impact for a while yet, especially if you're already nursing twitchy knees. Could probably be doing strength training, 'tho, which would help the knees long-term. Might want have a trainer check for muscle imbalances, too (if the docs didn't already)...lots of problems can be fixed just by targeting muscle imbalances, but you gotta know which ones to target first.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I have about the same amount to lose and run without any sort of pain. Closer to 5K again. Have you used a running programme that has gradually conditioned you to running? C25K is good on the body.

Another issue entirely is the inflammation and there I would listen to your doctor.

I'm not sure why the discussion is so focussed on minimalist shoes?
  • hill8570
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »

Possibly because the title of the post is "Barefoot running shoes for knee injury?"
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »

Possibly because the title of the post is "Barefoot running shoes for knee injury?"

I should have rephrased. What I meant was that I haven't heard of minimalist shoes being used for such a purpose apart from what the OP has mentioned. Which was a point I thought of also in the light of the controversy that now exists.

As a conclusion I wonder whether this specialty shoe really would help or whether normal shoes would maybe work just as well.

And that in turn was based on my earlier comment including info on my own body weight. Sorry, I think quicker than I type sometimes. And at times think people will understand me the way I meant it :)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I had problems with my knees for years, and what solved the issue for me was the exact opposite: shoes with A LOT of support and a high heel. I switched at some point from shoes with little support to the Nike Pegasus which at the complete opposite end from what I was wearing until then, and all the knee problems disappeared in a matter of a few weeks.
  • cioube
    Options
    The first thing I did when my knee started hurting bad last year was go to the foot doctor to have fitted sport insoles. So I've been wearing Asics (which are considered the best for support), with my insoles and unfortunately that has done very little to help. However, footwear and seeing a foot doctor is the first thing anyone should do with a knee injury. I have fitted insoles for all my shoes - be it sport or day shoes.

But it's because I have such a lot of support and "control" on my foot that it's become a little "lazy".

Other than working out barefoot and walking around barefoot as much as possible, the osteopath also showed me some stretching exercises for the foot.

I'm going to try working out barefoot or with minimalist footwear for a month and see what happens. Also going to walk around barefoot as much as possible. I'll tell you guys if it has helped, I think it might interest other people.

I'm not going to run until I'm way closer to my weight loss goal. I'd rather power walk for the moment !

Our body's are so complex its interesting to read how many different types of injuries to the knee people have and how they solved the problem.