No motivation to exercise

Options
I feel so guilty because I'm finding it so hard to find the time and energy to exercise. I've started a new job and when I come back from work I'm always tired. I went running only once last week!! I usually go 3 or 4 times. I try dancing and walking but I worry they're not as effective as running and that I'll become flabby and untoned. On a good day I eat 1700 calories. I'd like to eat less but I don't adapt well on low calorie diets. I still struggle with binging but I'm working to cut that down. It's just so hard to go running, also because of the weather. I'm scared I'll stop running altogether and become untoned and have a flabby body.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for health and calorie counting is for weight loss. Walking is a good form of exercise. Lots of people use this form of exercise including me with great results :)
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Running is only one of hundreds of ways to move your body -- focusing on "the best exercise" is *kitten* -- the best exercise is the one you do because you enjoy it.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Try picking up nerdfitness.com instead of the running, it is body weight exercises that you can do at home. It won't have the calorie burn of running, but will really help with retaining your LBM.
    Don't worry if you can't complete the whole routine. Do as much as you can and build on that.
    Cheers, h.
  • kcd1961
    kcd1961 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you're overthinking it. Anything is better than nothing. I may be wrong, but it seems like you experience high levels of anxiety? If so, it may help to address that too.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Do you belong to a gym? Perhaps find a fun group fitness class to join. There can be really fun things out there to do besides just running. Don't get me wrong I love to run but some days I want something different. I actually only have three days of running built into my workout week.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Maybe try working out before you go to work. That's helped me make sure I get my workout in for the day. Also, maybe look into something that interest you. You don't have to be a runner. Once I complete this relay marathon, I'm probably going to hang up my running shoes. It's cool, but I'd rather go to spin class for an hour than run for an hour.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You don't need to do "exercise" to lose weight. Just eat less calories than you're burning and it'll happen. Running doesn't make you "toned" or prevent a body from getting "flabby", either. Toned as most people think of it means your body fat is low enough to show your muscles. You get that from having a low percentage of body fat which you get through a calorie deficit.

Have you contemplated strength training rather than the cardio you seem to really want to avoid?
  • FunSkittles
    FunSkittles Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Try picking up nerdfitness.com instead of the running, it is body weight exercises that you can do at home. It won't have the calorie burn of running, but will really help with retaining your LBM.
    Don't worry if you can't complete the whole routine. Do as much as you can and build on that.
    Cheers, h.

This is great. I just checked out nerdfitness.com and found this: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

I'm definitely going to give this one a go!
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    How much time do you have at hand? What are your top 3 choices of exercise? Which of them is the easiest under the current circumstances?

If you are going through changes in work life, you might feel exhausted for a while still, so pick something you will have the most success with (greatest likelihood).

Maintaining running stamina isn't a top priority if you don't feel it, but even 20-30 minutes two to three times a week will work wonders on your mood and average energy level. Maybe do a longer run during the weekend and a shorter one Wednesday or such?
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Cheers, h.

This is great. I just checked out nerdfitness.com and found this: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

I'm definitely going to give this one a go!

Also, check out "You Are Your Own Gym" or "Convict Conditioning" and if you really want to get crazy (aka unconventional), sign up for a few pole fitness classes.

If you're into lifting heavy, check out "New Rules for Lifting for Women" or "Stronglifts"

I personally, do bodyweight training and cardio. But I enjoy doing both.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    <<<<Not a runner
    <<<<Not Untoned and flabby
  • LauraPa1mer
    LauraPa1mer Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Walking is excellent exercise. Don't doubt yourself.
  • Bukeelaka
    Options
    Whenever I don't feel like working out (which is often), I just resort to my 5 sets of:
    40 jumping jacks, 30 crunches, 20 squats and 10 pushups. It gets the job done for this girl! And don't underestimate walking, if you do it enough there will be results. Best wishes!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I dance (ballet, barre, Flamenco, Salsa, Zumba), Aqua exercise, Aqua Zumba, Body Pump, Tabata, Stretch, ride a bicycle, walk to get places (but don't count it as a workout)... Anything that doesn't stress my knees is fair game.

I love how I feel at the end of a workout - sweaty, out of breath and successful. B)
  • fruity2
    fruity2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    <<<<Not a runner
    <<<<Not Untoned and flabby

teehehe...

Okay, just using your title here (because I don't know your healthy history or likes/dislikes)

"No motivation to exercise"

Tight clothing
    Feeling yucky when looking at buying swimwear or new clothes
    Sluggish feeling
    Tired all the time
    Not wanting to go out to dinner with friends in case the food is too tempting (plus not knowing what to wear or feeling comfortable)
    Aches and pain
    Depression
    Mood swings
    ....... I'm sure this list can be added to, and some may resonate with you, in order to help motivate you

Or perhaps write a list of all the positives instead, to help motivate you :)