Forgotten *COOKIES*!!

Options
oddyogi
oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
This morning I went to an open house at the Health and Wellness Center on base, and they had a bunch of yummy (and healthy) food samples out for everyone to try. Among these food samples were these delicious cookies! I grabbed the recipe (and also found them on allrecipes.com--the same recipe I think), and I'm here to share! Since they're made with egg whites, these cookies have some protein too, and are about 50-60 cals a piece. They were so fluffy, airy, and the chocolate chips inside were delicious!

I will definitely be making some of these when I have a craving for cookies!

Edit: yields 36 cookies!

Ingredients

2 egg whites
1 pinch salt
2/3 cup white sugar
teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup salted peanuts (optional--the cookies I tried did not have peanuts)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
2. In a large glass or metal mixing bowl, beat egg whites and salt until foamy. Gradually add sugar, continuing to beat until whites form stiff peaks. Fold in the vanilla and chocolate chips. Add peanuts if desired. Spoon onto the prepared cookie sheets.
3. Place the cookies into the preheated oven, shut the door and turn off the oven immediately. Let cookies sit in the turned off oven for 5 to 6 hours or overnight.

Amount Per Serving (according to allrecipes)
Calories: 62 | Total Fat: 3.4g | Cholesterol: 0mg

I asked the dietician if she thought I could substitute truvia for sugar. She said maybe, but she's not sure because sugar is what gives the cookies their texture. I will probably at least try sugar in the raw, though! :)

Happy baking!

Replies

• jabsmckee
    jabsmckee Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Definite bump!!
  • carlybarley22
    carlybarley22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    bump! sounds yummy!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    So, are these just meringues with chocolate chips and peanuts added in? If so, you definitely can't substitute anything for the sugar.
  • salzej01
    salzej01 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Kirstie_C26
    Kirstie_C26 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    BUMP :) il defo be giving these a try :D thanx hon xx
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    THat is such a weird way of cooking them... lol

I want to try it but the problem is I have to wait sooo long to eat them! haha
  • smlamb33
    smlamb33 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    They souns delicious! Thanks for sharing!
  • stepherjensen
    stepherjensen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    YUM! Thanks for posting!
  • cupfanncbms
    cupfanncbms Posts: 101
    Options
    I've had these before. They're delicious and really versatile. First of all, I mix cocoa into it, so it's double chocolate-and I omit the peanuts. :) Also, I sometimes use almond flavoring and then stir in some almond slices or slivers-that's really yummy. You can make them in orange, strawberry, etc. They're very good. If they get soft, you can revive them by popping them back in the office a little while, too.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Never heard of putting peanuts in them, but meringue cookies are AWESOME! We make them at Christmas with raspberry chocolate chips. Or you can do mint, or whatever your favorite flavor is. So worth the wait. =)
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    So, are these just meringues with chocolate chips and peanuts added in? If so, you definitely can't substitute anything for the sugar.

Yes, they're meringues.. someone already informed me. Bummer. :( Oh well! Guess I'll just have to eat normal sugar. Drat. :tongue:
  • maribe10
    maribe10 Posts: 2
    Options
    bump
  • bballgrrl34
    bballgrrl34 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JNALTBK
    JNALTBK Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Will try these.