Help a whiner!!

Options
Yes, I am whining. Simply due to this...I posted a few days ago that in one single day my scale (2 different ones) jumped 6 lbs in one day...Yes 6 lbs, that same morning my TOM started and I had forgotten to take a water pill the previous day for my HBP. (Of course I don't think that it is humanly possible for fat to increase like that..So I was thinking it may be muscle weight but even still; not in one day) A few folks told me its normal to fluctuate 0-10lbs in a week. I don't think this is normal. Since the day my weight went back up, I have increased the resistance on my elliptical. I feel like I am putting overtime and kinda becoming obsessive with trying to past this hurdle/mountain. This is the 3rd time I got to this exact weight and something dramatic happens and I stop losing and eventually quitting. Let me be clear, I am so determined not to give up this time. If I can just get at least 2 lbs under 300 then I'll know I am back on the right track. For now, I am feeling so discouraged. I am determined not to give up...Gave up soda and juice, restaurant food on the weekends but it seems like my body just doesn't wanna lose. I don't think I've hit a plateau...it's just NOT cooperating. I need someone to give advice if you've had the same problem. Just tell me what to do...

Replies

• aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Don't stress yourself out. It IS normal, I promise. I don't know how tall you are, but I'm 5'3" and I can fluctuate 6 lbs in the same day as well. Some people are more prone to fluid retention than others.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Before or during TOM 6 lbs sounds about right for water retention. Especially considering that you normally take a water pill and forgot to take it, I'd give it a little time. Take your water pill and don't weigh yourself until after your TOM. I've dropped 5lbs before due to TOM.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    When you know TOM is approaching, don't even think about getting on the scale. Stay away for a couple of weeks.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    So your weight went up before your period started and you still don't get natural fluctuations

Step away from the scale until 3 days after the end of your period and then weigh ...in the morning, after using the bathroom and nekkid

And quit being obsessive and whiny :wink:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It is normal

Here's my chart over 2 months ..see flatline then dip, peaks and troughs - fluctuations around the same couple of pounds before it drops

Fluctuations are normal ...I've been doing this 8 months, I'm down 44lbs it works

idiw58fy1mkm.jpg
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    My weight jumps 5 lbs in a day all the time. Totally normal.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is normal. I gain 7lb every month during my TOM. It goes away a few days after it ends. And that's even if I stick to the deficit, water, etc. It's just how women's bodies work.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You started TOM and you didn't take your water pill = you're retaining water! And a fluctuation of six pounds is perfectly normal in my experience, both with myself and hearing about other women, especially for TOM (and sometimes ovulation). It's NOT muscle gain...that is such a tired myth. Sure, you can gain a little muscle but unless you're eating and training just so, it's really difficult, especially for us gals. I'm talking 6 pounds of muscle in one year would be impressive. One of my good friends is a competitive power lifter and even he has trouble at times.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Stay with and off the scale around that time. It will drive you crazy. I know I am guilty of the same thing.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Breathe ☺
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Try weighing yourself just once a week, Same time, same place, same scale.
    Average it over the month.

If you aren't already, count your calories (using the calorie allotment mfp gave you) and weigh your food to ensure your intake is correct.

You can exercise until you are blue in the face, but you won't lose weight unless you are in a calorie deficit.

It takes months, not days to lose, and everyone fluctuates.

Make a commitment and stick with it for the long haul.

Cheers, h.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    not to mention the more you work out aggressively the more water you will retain as well to help repair your muscles(its not muscle weight) drink more water too that will help with retaining water and watch sodium intake. sounds dumb but its true. why are you taking a water pill for your HBP?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I once gained 18 pounds of water in 4 days. It definitely happens. The good news is that it usually flushes out just as quickly when it's ready to.
  • cjack19
    cjack19 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest not weighing yourself more than once a day. Weigh in the morning and that is it - if you find it necessary to weigh everyday. Ideally you should only weigh once a week or a month. Weight fluctuates so much from so many different things!
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Just eat your calorie quota (HONESTLY - NO CHEATING OR SLACKING!!) and don't weigh yourself for ... say ... the next 6-ish weeks.

If you are "so determined", you can do that, right?

Report back in 6 weeks and quit obsessing over PERFECTLY NORMAL daily/periodic fluctuations.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    weigh just once a day-naked after toilet
    weight will go up and down-mine does-but the trend is downward.
    Ok as well as increasing resistance on elliptical-lighten resistance just one day a week and go longer-increase by 5 minutes each week
    sneak a few walks in per week
    keep eating at calorie goal and track everything.
    Weight loss will happen

Meanwhile take and enter your measurements-so you can remeasure in a month-sometimes measurements drop when weight doesn't
  • arsherma
    arsherma Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Wow...I must admit I do feel a lot better...Thanks everyone for your advice..actually read a few things I never knew ....I can breathe now..:) ;)
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    It is normal

Here's my chart over 2 months ..see flatline then dip, peaks and troughs - fluctuations around the same couple of pounds before it drops

Fluctuations are normal ...I've been doing this 8 months, I'm down 44lbs it works

idiw58fy1mkm.jpg

^^^ This. Also, water weight can definitely be influenced by the foods we eat and the volume of water we drink. Try upping your water and watching your sodium intake. I've been weighing daily for a year and a half so I am well aware of all the different elements that can influence weight fluctuations each day/week. Keep steadfast and over the long haul you will see the downward trend. THAT is the prize to keep your eye on.

Keep up the hard work. IT WILL HAPPEN!! <<hugs>>
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I thought you wanted help with the whining. I can help with that.
    People/children whine when they feel they aren't being heard. I hear you.

All you can do is try and change up one thing or another to see if the scale will budge for you.
  • arsherma
    arsherma Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    So your weight went up before your period started and you still don't get natural fluctuations

Step away from the scale until 3 days after the end of your period and then weigh ...in the morning, after using the bathroom and nekkid

And quit being obsessive and whiny :wink:

Lol will do..