Pre-workout options and time?

Options
whereswendy76
whereswendy76 Posts: 4
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I lose steam half way through the spin class! I eat lunch around 12-1:30 and workout usually 5:30-6:30 or 7:30...what is a good pre-workout snack and how long before the workout should I eat it:) just need some help getting through! Thanks:)

Replies

• whereswendy76
    whereswendy76 Posts: 4
    edited January 2015
    Options
    PB & J sandwich? Almonds? Veggies? I need some help:)
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    A sammich should be fine. Try 2-4 hours. It's going to be a personal thing. Go for slow release carbs though but feel free to make it a mini meal. Having fats with it like pb helps slow release.
  • itzjulz
    itzjulz Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I work out in the evenings after work (around 7pm after working a 10 hour day). I try to eat something with a balance of protein and carbs about 2 hrs prior -- greek yogurt with a piece of fruit, granola, or nuts, or beef or chicken jerky with veggies. Usually around 200-250 calories.

I also keep Target's Simply Balanced fruit strips on hand for when I feel like I need a little boost. A little high in sugar but they are only 45 cals and for me, they digest easily and don't upset my stomach even if I eat one or two immediately before working out. The extra few grams of sugar have kept me from getting shaky or burning out in the middle of my workout. They're also inexpensive. I don't eat them regularly, but I keep a few in my gym bag in case I need a little somethin'.
  • whereswendy76
    Options
    Thanks! I ate a hard boiled egg yesterday and it seemed to help, tonight I didn't have anything, and I was done 1/2 way through (I kept going though!).