soup

Options
Emmea2729
Emmea2729 Posts: 100 Member
i'm a uni student and have recently gotten into making big pans of soup that i can munch through the day while revising.

thing is, all i really know/can think of making is leek and potato soup, and a general veg soup.

so. any ideas? bearing in mind i'm a skint uni student, just simple ideas with simple ingredients!!

p.s. i don't have a blender - but prefer chunky soup anyway :D

Replies

• strapple
    strapple Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    chicken noodle is a really easy soup to make homemade! you can even control how much sodium is in it by using reduced sodium broth or a sodium free chicken boullion

to make it more simple i usually bake two chicken breasts and boil/drain egg noodles beforehand

then boil your vegetables of choice in chicken broth (either canned or water seasoned with boullion)
    i usually use celery, potato, carrot, and onion

once the veggies are soft, shred the chicken into the soup and add noodles!
    yum yum

i always add potato perogies or kreplach into mine too. delicious and it freezes well too!
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    Here's one of my dear friend's recipe and it...is...amazing!
    Zucchini Corn Soup Recipe

Ingredients:
    olive oil
    1 diced onion
    2 small/medium sized zucchinis thinly sliced
    2 small/medium sized potatoes diced
    2 cloves garlic
    1 can corn (or 2 ears fresh corn)
    1 tsp cumin
    4 cups vegetable broth
    salt & pepper to taste
    Prep/Cook time: ~30min

Serves: 4

Directions:
    Heat 3 Tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the diced potatoes, onion, and sliced zucchini let cook till they begin to brown. I like to add the potatoes first since they seem to take the longest. Lightly salt and pepper this.

While these veggies are browning, I heat 4 cups of water with 2 vegetable bouillon cubes. You could also use boxed vegetable broth.

Once the veggies have browned add the 2 cloves of garlic, very finely diced, the corn, and cumin. Add a little more salt and pepper. Let cook for about 5 min. then add to the vegetable broth.

Bring the soup to a boil then lower the heat and let it simmer for about 15-20min, or until the potatoes are tender. Serve!
  • skelly013
    skelly013 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Awesome recipe. Low fat and carb - high protein and fiber. For slow cooker, but could just simmer on stove-top for a couple of hours.

Kickin' Chicken Chili

2 lbs. bonless skinless chicken breast halves, cut in 1 inch pieces

2 tsp. ground cumin

1/4 tsp. salt

1 Tbsp. olive oil

1 16-oz. jar of salsa (I used mild, but if you like more heat use medium or hot)

1 16-oz. package frozen pepper stir-fry vegetables (yellow, green, red peppers, and onion)

(I used fresh onions and peppers - yellow, orange, and red - don't like green)

1 15-oz. can cannelini beans (white kidney beans)

1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes with onion and garlic (a.k.a. Italian style)

Sour Cream (optional)

Cheddar Cheese (optional)

1. In a large bowl, toss chicken with cumin and salt to coat. In a large skillet, cook chicken, half at a time, in hot oil over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain off fat. Place chicken in a 4- or 5- quart slow cooker. Stir in salsa, stir-fry vegetables, beans, and undrained tomatoes.

2. Cover and cook on low heat setting for 4 to 5 hours or on high heat setting for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

3. If desired, top with sour cream and cheese.

Makes about 6- 8 - 1 1/2 cup servings (for me, 1 cup was plenty filling)

Nutrition Info (1 1/2 cup serving size): 305 cal, 5 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 914 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrates, 6 g fiber, 41 g protein.
  • NJDavis81
    NJDavis81 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Here is a super fast recipe. I know it's not "ideal" to some people because it uses some convenience ingredients, but I'm a working mom so I'm busy like you!

Chicken Green Chile Soup

1# Boneless/Skinless chicken breasts, chopped into 1" cubes
    14.5 oz Canned diced tomatoes -- no salt added
    8 oz canned or fresh green chiles
    32 oz of chicken stock (homemade or reduced sodium stock-in-a-box)
    1 chopped onion
    1 cup brown rice (minute or regular, depending on how much time you have to let it cook)
    salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste

Heat up stock pot over med-high heat. Spray w/ cooking spray, add chicken. Brown chicken.

When chicken is brown but not quite cooked through, add onions.

When onions are transparent and chicken is cooked through, add remaining ingredients.

How long you have to let it cook depends on which kind of rice you used.
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I usally make:

Tin Chopped toms
    Onion
    Mushroom
    Bacon bits (cooked before you up in soup)
    handful lentils
    Chilli or curry powder
    Veg Stock
    Sal/Pepper

and any other veg I have floating about. Always nice and low cal. x
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    **since you don't have a blender, I'm not sure how this will work, but you could try it.

CURRY SOUP

2 TBSP butter/oil
    1 large onion copped
    2 apples, chopped & peeled
    1-2 tsp curry powder (or more)
    4 cups chicken stock
    1/4 cup uncooked rice
    2 cups diced zucchini (peeled)
    Salt
    1 cup milk

In large Sauté pan, sauté onion/apple in oil. In saucepan, boil Chicken Stock. Add all ingredients but the milk to the sauté pan and cook covered for 30 minutes.

Puree in blender. Add milk.

LOW CARB PUMPKIN & SAUSAGE SOUP
    (sounds gross but it's really yummy - especially for breakfast)

16 ounces country style sausage
    1/2 cup onions, minced
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
    1 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
    15 ounces pumpkin, canned
    5 cups low sodium chicken broth
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup water

Over medium heat brown the sausage breaking into small bits. Drain fat. Add the onion, garlic, Italian seasoning and mushrooms and saute until vegetables are cooked.

Add the canned pumpkin and the broth, stirring to mix well. Cook at a low simmer for 20-30 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in heavy cream, sour cream and water.

Servings: 8

Notes: Per 1-cup serving: 376 calories. 15 grams protein, 32 grams fat (14 saturated) and 9 grams carbohydrate (2 grams dietary fiber). Rich in Vitamin A, Thiamin and B12 and one serving has 63mg of calcium.
  • ameeann
    ameeann Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Minestrone and ham soup . . .

chopped tomatoe's vegetable stock cube
    loads of chunk vegetables . . . anything you want
    2 garlic cloves
    tiny bit of chilli powder

boil it all up til everything's soft, add diced ham and any pasta you want (the smaller the pasta the less calories) cook til the pasta is done and eat!

freezes well also :)
  • Last_15
    Last_15 Posts: 129
    Options
    Vegetable/Bean Soup:

3/4 cups dry great northern beans (soak overnight before cooking) or any dry bean you prefer
    1/2 cup dry barley
    1 bag frozen mixed vegetables (3 3/10 cups ea.)
    4 cups chicken broth (or beef or vegetable)
    1 container (1 4/5 cups ea.) diced tomatoes
    1/2 bag Frozen Cut Green Beans
    1 cup diced frozen onions
    2 tablespoons hot sauce
    1 tablespoon mrs dash seasoning

Soak the great northern beans overnight. In the morning, drain beans, add everything to the pot, bring to boil, cover and simmer for 4-5 hours. Split and serve :) Makes 6 - 2 cup servings. Very filling, cheap and healthy!
  • bex22mcn
    bex22mcn Posts: 90
    Options
    Carrot and cumin soup is AWESOME!!!! literally just dry fry a couple of teaspoons of cumin seeds til they get toasty (not burned). grate 3/4 carrots, add a cup of red lentils, pop in a veggie stock cube and enough water to cover the carrot - simmer for 20mins or so til carrot is cooked! nom nom nommmmm