First time counting calories

Options
Hello everyone,
This is the first time I have started to count calories. After a lifetime full of yo-yo dieting, I'd like to be able to keep the weight off for good! I've had some health issues. I'm pre-hypertension, obese and on the verge of type two diabetes at age 43; not good. I want to turn this around before I become more ill.
I did a trial run of counting calories before I became too sick to work out two weeks ago and I learned a lot about food already. Now I am almost healed and will be implementing a full workout at the gym along with tracking my calories starting this coming Monday.

Replies

• fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Good luck
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Welcome and best wishes!! Tracking calories is how it is done, glad you are on the right road.
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Awesome, we're so glad to have you! ♥ :) My father had type two diabetes and practically reversed his diagnosis by running/biking a few miles every day/other day and eating lean protein, some grain, and loads of vegetables and fruit. At first he splurged on a little junk here and there but eventually gave it all up when he realized he no longer craved it. He's always been very portly and obese my entire life so to see this extremely slim, fit man was astounding to me. He dramatically fixed his cholesterol, reversed his high blood pressure and has not had a need to use insulin in two years.

He's been my inspiration - I was pre-diabetic when I began two years ago. Though I haven't made the dramatic changes he has, eating better and exercising some has kept my cholesterol and insulin production in check and I am no longer pre-diabetic. As I lose weight, I get further and further away from that threat. :) You're at the perfect spot to make these big changes and you CAN do it! ♥ Eat in moderation, eat good foods, weigh EVERYTHING (food scale is $15-20 at Target or Wal-Mart), but don't deprive yourself of the things you crave - just lessen the blow and eat less. :)

Just remember that what you eat and how much you eat really is the key to weight loss; exercise and fitness overall is what will tone you up as you go. :) If you can't work out, that's okay, just stick to those eating goals!

Good luck ♥
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I'm counting calories, too. It's a lot easier when you make all meals at home since they'll be healthier. For example, I was making a noodle dish and instead of using a can of sauce with a ton of sodium, I made my own with just milk, Parmesan cheese and my own seasonings.
    I'm not sure how to add friends on here yet, but I can help you out if you know how to add me.
  • Opalclover
    Opalclover Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all your support, Tips and feedback folks! I didn't think anyone would really read and reply to my post - I'm grateful to hear from all of you!!!
    So I started my work out on Tuesday instead of Monday (I needed one more day to heal).
    I did 45 mins. of cardio and upper body weight training. And of course I am still using the myfitnesspal counting calories and I love it!!!
    It's really great to hear all of your stories of progress!! Keep up the good work! I know we can all do this! :smiley:
  • Opalclover
    Options
    By the way, during my trial counting calories with OUT my daily Exercise routine - I still lost 3 pounds in week in a half. :wink:
  • robertybarra85
    robertybarra85 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Keep it up man just stay in the mood, one day at it and soon you'll be were you want to be and happy
  • minaeve25
    minaeve25 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    That's awesome nobodyshero! I HATE counting calories!!! but it is the only way I can keep myself in check. Until I started doing it I had no idea how much I was eating. It never seemed like a lot of food but I saw how easy it was to eat a ton of calories!
  • Opalclover
    Options
    Thank you Robertybarra85 & Minaeve25. I hated counting calories too but this app makes it a lot easier. I agree with you though, I never knew how much calories I was taking in either till now. lol For example, most breads and salad dressings are high in calories, who knew! lol
  • ahokay89
    ahokay89 Posts: 353
    Options
    Hi! Sounds like you're doing good. This is my first time actually counting calories and I am amazed at how much I would go over before doing this! I just started Tuesday but so far so good.

Good luck to you on this journey to feeling better!
  • Opalclover
    Options
    @ ahokay89, Thank you and congrats for getting started. It's amazing what you learn. Keep it up if you can and if you have an off day just remember there's always tomorrow.