women with PCOS/IR: post your macro ratio

Options
Hi all, I'm playing around with my ratios, just curious how others with the same issues are doing with their goals. Could you post your carb-protein-fat ratio and how much success you've had on that ratio? Thanks!

Replies

• kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options
    I haven't paid as much attention to my macros, simple calorie in vs. Calorie out. I lost 62 lbs and then got pregnant... oops! 34 weeks now. Exercise is most important for me it seems.
  • tmaryam
    tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Well I read that women with PCOS/IR should aim for 30-40-30 (carbs-protein-fat%) but I'm having trouble getting that much protein, so I'm wondering if there's any advantage. We'll see!
  • eahouston
    eahouston Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Mine is set to 30-40-30 (c-p-f,) but I've been going over in the fat category more days than not lol. As long as I'm not going over in carbs, I feel okay with that, though
  • tmaryam
    Options
    Yeah I think I'll be okay going over on the fat too if I can just lower the carbs. I'm experimenting today to see if I can take in more protein without having to drink shakes or something.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I am for .75-.8g of protein per pound of bodyweight, which comes to around 120 grams per day. That, I consider a minimum and don't care if I go over. Fat is .4 grams per pound of bodyweight but I don't really watch to be sure I meet it (rarely do I not meet it.) Carbs are whatever. I don't track them. They end up being lower than average because I don't eat a lot of grains but not low enough to be considered truly low carb.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    No PCOS but have IR...my is 25 (carbs) - 45 (protein) - 30 (fat). I focus mostly on carb grams keeping it low as I can while getting my veggies in. I had about 30 pounds to lose and I'm now down to the last 5 pounds. Eating this way has been good for me. My last lab results were excellent. My doctor said it was the best set of results she saw that day and I saw her at 5 pm. LOL!

Before someone brosciences me on protein, let me say I'm quite petite and pretty sedentary.
  • tmaryam
    Options
    Interesting. I feel like I am eating as much protein as I can stomach, but still not coming close to what it recommends at 40%. So I just changed it to 35/35/30, which tells me to eat 130g of carbs and 130g of protein. (I'm a small woman too, that's more than I weigh per pound.) I've had enough fish, turkey, eggs, and peanut butter for the day, I'm not even hungry enough to keep eating that stuff. But tbh if there was a cheesecake in front of me, I could probably devour it. :)
  • jodielarms
    jodielarms Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    When I see my endocrinologist every six months she tells me that I should aim for 50g of carbs a day (no idea what my ratios are now or what that would be) but I think that's absolutely ridiculous. I would rip someone's head off!
    As a side note I was diagnosed 10 years ago and I have had 2 babies in the past 4 years(with no help, and in fact I was on bc the whole time). I never followed her diet and I have dropped about 25 of the 60 pounds she has been after me to lose for the past decade.
    Find what works for you and your body. This is a slow journey and if you need advice try a nutritionist or a doctor to advise you.
  • tmaryam
    Options
    Thanks, I will keep tweaking it until I find what works. I am only trying to lose about 5 lbs, so I'm not in a hurry. Once I start lifting weights, this will all change. My aim is to just boost my self-esteem by losing some fat and fitting into my normal clothes, then I'll be more inclined to get to the gym and do some work! :)