C25K Program

Options
I need some help trying to understand this program. A friend of mine and myself are talking about doing this program. I am hoping it motivates her enough to join this website, and start feeling better about herself (she wants to lose weight and is extremely depressed about it). Anyway, I have printed something off the website what you are supposed to do every week, 3 times a week for 9 weeks, but do I just follow this schedule or do I need to purchase something? We will be doing this outside since neither one of us have a treadmill or a gym membership. I am just trying to understand this since I have only done workout dvds up to this point. How did you feel about this program? Was it beneficial? Thanks for any input and insight; I appreciate it.

Replies

• psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    i just started it today. my understanding was to just follow the time frames for walk and run. I downloaded the app on my phone which was really nice. It kept the times for me and told me when to do what. also let me listen to my music and access the mp3 phone feature in addition to the c25k app. it worked really well.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I started a "group" for this last week! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/227414-couch-to-10k-in-15-weeks

Yes you will do it 3 times a week and it is nine weeks long.... If you have an ipod or iphone I suggest downloading the app. It will tell you when to walk or jog.

Best of luck and you can friend me if you want... I am very supportive to everyone! :bigsmile:
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    The C25K is an excellent program. Congratulations on your decision to run! It is an amazing workout, and an even bigger confidence builder.

Follow the schedule as best you can.

Make sure you have decent running shoes.

Everyone moves at their own pace.

If you start a week and just can't do it... there is no shame in backing up a half step and repeating the previous week or splitting the difference.

Enjoy.
  • MeganMac17
    MeganMac17 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    All you need is the schedule, although I've seen iPod stuff you can download and whatnot. I am doing the treadmill version, and I just follow the schedule. I seem to be stuck @ Week 6 though!

Best of luck to you and your friend- hope you enjoy the program :)
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your insight. This seems like an excellent program, and I have heard amazing things about it. I currently don't have an mp3 player, so we will just have to do it on our own. Now, I just need to get my friend motivated to actually start it.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    im midway through week 4 and i love it!!
    i usually make it harder each time
    for example increase speed and incline (on treadmill)
    its definitely very well made and planned out.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    No need to purchase anything... that's what's so fantastic about it!

Some folks download podcasts to play on their ipods that tells you when to walk and when to jog, but it's not necessary. I did the whole program on the treadmills, since it was winter when I started, and just went by the times on the display.

As far as "does it work..."

I started in December, at 38 years old, never having run further than a half mile in my life, and that was 20 years ago. The furthest I could jog without stopping to catch my breath was about .15 miles, or one half of a lap around the park by my house.

Now, I've completed three 5K races, as well as a 4.5 miler (which was my first race, but I wasn't ready for that distance yet and did some walking) and a 5 miler (which I finished just 7 seconds behind my very athletic 25 year old niece!) And today, I just got back from a 7.89 mile walking/jogging interval. I think I ran about 6.6 miles of it, with a few walk breaks and a few pauses to snap pictures with my phone to send to my husband to let him know where I was. When he saw how far I'd gone, he texted back "you = nuts." :laugh:

I can't say enough good things about the program, and about jogging in general. Losing 22 pounds (possibly a little more now - weigh in is tomorrow) is great, but I really love the feeling of accomplishment. I've given my body and spirit a complete overhaul. I'm not a wussy little wimp anymore. I'm redefining myself. And the new definition includes words like "powerful," "strong," "fit," and "athletic."
  • Nissa_D
    Nissa_D Posts: 7
    Options
    It's a great program I just finished week 5, it was my sixth week of running after week 3 I didn't feel all that great about going on to week 4 so I repeated week 3 and I think it was a good choice for me.

You don't need to purchase anything (unless you don't have good running shoes). If you don't have a way to get an app there are also podcasts you can download. I use Robert's podcast he lets you know when you should switch from walking and running.
  • joleneransom
    joleneransom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just joined MFP and I also just started C25k. I downloaded the app on my Android phone, so far so good. And I am NOT a jogger/runner!! LOL
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Beth,

Like Lorina says, "no purchase necessary"!

Here's the link that gives info on the program: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Note that you can do it either by looking at the length of time you spend walking/jogging *or* by the distance -- whatever makes it more convenient!

I just finished the program myself -- having been a runner back in my teens, I can tell you that it feels *awesome* getting back out there and jogging again! I'll be running a 5K with my teen-aged nephew next weekend, and am really psyched about it!

Happy Running!

Larry
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I started this program 2 weeks ago. Tonight I'm finishing up my W2D3 run and I'll be moving on to W3. I'm loving it so far. I can't wait to become a "runner" by the end and run longer distances, races, and to just keep fit :)
  • fitnessbugg
    fitnessbugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    This is a great program. You will need a good pair of running shoes and a device/clock to tell you when to walk/run. That's about it as far as mandatory equipment. Most common running injuries happen because people do not have or replace their running shoes or they push themselves too hard. I am not a pro at this but someone who took up running later in life. I'll tell you, I wasn't really that into it until I started listening to music via an ipod and then it became something I loved. It sounds like you will have a partner, so that's really great. Bonus: there is an Android and/or Apple app that is free of charge to help you time your intervals. I think it is a really great tool. Good luck! You will love it.
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    You will need a good pair of running shoes and a device/clock to tell you when to walk/run.

Just to reiterate: you don't necessarily need to *time* your walks/jogs ... the program also has distance goals. So, if you don't have a smartphone or don't feel like keeping your eyes on your watch, and you're exercising somewhere that you know distances (at a park or on a track, for example), you could always do C25K by *distance* instead of by *time*...!

Happy running!
  • andyj1984
    andyj1984 Posts: 76
    Options
    I love doing the c25k, good for you for starting it as well. I'm currently on week 4, got one more workout until I move on to week 5. Its good, because it builds you up. Every week *is* tough, but it is manageable, and you actually accomplish something by completing each week. When I started 4 weeks ago I felt I was going to die on those first few workouts (the 60 seconds running)...now I'm doing 5 minutes at a time, soon to be 8 minutes at a time (and the dreaded 20 minutes next week!).

Its a good program, and if I can do it, ANYONE CAN!
  • SongbirdLandy
    SongbirdLandy Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    As you know, I just finished week 5 and it has been an absolutely AMAZING experience for me so far! I started the program weighing in at 300 lbs and I could still do it! That 20 minute run was so easy! I am just in awe of how much I have accomplished with C25K and God's help! Every run finished seems like such an awesome accomplishment! I could go on and on!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Also remember to go SLOW! Your jogging speed should be relaxed and easy... a pace that's just a little too fast to walk. That's where the treadmill worked well for me at first. I knew I could still walk at 4.5mph because I just have a naturally fast walk, so I started jogging at 5mph. But I know people who jog at 4 and 4.5 mph, too. Do whatever is comfortable for you.

Once you have the endurance to do the whole thing, you can work on your pace.
  • emmoen
    emmoen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    what is this C25K program and how can i do it?