I am confused about protein intake

Options
I have worked out very hard for the past month and have kept my calories down; however, I have noticed my face and body is starting to look chunkier instead of slimmer. I have done some research on protein intake and many studies are contradicting. In the past few days I have also experienced some dizziness, so I am wondering if I am actually getting too much protein. I am looking for some expert advice from anyone who can offer it.

Replies

• psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    What has your weight been doing over this time? Are you dizzy because you're working out hard and not eating much? how much protein are you currently eating? What are your stats?
  • crownjewel82
    crownjewel82 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If you share your diary we can check but it's highly unlikely unless you're eating nothing but meat and protein shakes.

Dizziness is a symptom of a lot of things so if it concerns you enough to post on a message board you should probably talk to your doctor. While you're there mention your diet concerns and at the very least she can give you an idea of what to do.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Not an expert! I'd advise seeing the doctor about the dizziness and eating a little more until you get there.

Experts advise .8g protein per kg of body weight, daily. That's amount most people require to live their lives - work, exercise, etc. Athletes get more, up to 1.2, I think it goes. A lot of people on these forums have decided that those amounts are too low for them and eat tremendous amounts of protein. I have yet to see any of them post that it made them dizzy.
  • vanbrita
    vanbrita Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am going to share my diary (which is not perfect)... still trying to figure out the site. I have never used this forum before.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You have some higher days and lower days with protein. Nothing shockingly high. How much do you weigh?

I don't know about the dizziness but puffiness...I wonder what your sodium intake is like. I see you're not tracking it (this coming from a salt monster, no judgement passed).
  • vanbrita
    Options
    I fluctuate between 143 and 146. I have started adding weights and plyometrics to my routine and have noticed I've stayed at 146 for the past month. My height is 5'0.
  • arditarose
    Options
    vanbrita wrote: »
    I fluctuate between 143 and 146. I have started adding weights and plyometrics to my routine and have noticed I've stayed at 146 for the past month. My height is 5'0.

There are days when you are under 100 grams and days when you are closer to a gram per pound of body weight. I think it should be closer to a gram per pound of lean body mass.
    Regardless, unless you have a medical condition, it's not a problem to have a good deal of protein.

What are some other ideas you've come up with for the dizziness? When does it happen?
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Quick skim doesn't show anything particularly alarming about your protein intake. As far as dizziness goes, is there anything that triggers the onset? If you're doing lifting motions where you stand up quickly after being prone, that could be orthostatic hypotension. What's your sugar like? That could be anther potential cause.
  • vanbrita
    Options
    Arditarose, I will need to watch my salt intake. I removed it from my diary because I wanted to monitor what other gym rats have been telling me to focus on. I need to find the right formula to get myself out of this puffy stage.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If you want to check how you've done on sodium since you started logging, just change the settings temporarily and have a look. Swap out sugar for sodium and then switch them back after you've looked at your sodium consumption. If you've used accurate entries you should see how high or low your sodium has been.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Arditarose, I will need to watch my salt intake. I removed it from my diary because I wanted to monitor what other gym rats have been telling me to focus on. I need to find the right formula to get myself out of this puffy stage.

My sodium is ridiculous. Whatever is tracked is only a portion of it. I am literally a sodium monster. But I do notice my eyes are face are puffier after a high(er) sodium day.
  • vanbrita
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    You have some higher days and lower days with protein. Nothing shockingly high. How much do you weigh?

I don't know about the dizziness but puffiness...I wonder what your sodium intake is like. I see you're not tracking it (this coming from a salt monster, no judgement passed).

Great job on your lifting success!! I wish I could get my waist as tiny as yours. My son said it is possible but my body shape (even in my skinny years) never included a tiny waist.
  • arditarose
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Great job on your lifting success!! I wish I could get my waist as tiny as yours. My son said it is possible but my body shape (even in my skinny years) never included a tiny waist.

Thanks! Keep up your deficit and it will look smaller as you lose.